Ion tweeted that he doesn't want any RPPvP servers at launch. Here is a breakdown of why that should change

i assumed it’d be the other way around. rename a pvp server to rp-pvp. but the issue is, players are gonna join with non rp names, like learjet or dollarbill, and those typically were ticketed to get a gm to force a rename

1 Like

Oh so you are referring to the one where blizzard said they are using 1.12 as the foundation? And you took that as they are recreating 1.12? Oh sweetie, you just got confused xD

If they were recreating 1.12 from the start why are they not releasing bgs at the start? Why is there a content plan? Why are they doing progressive loot tables? You see what’s going on here? Do you need me to tell you the difference?

Exactly. That’s just one of the reasons that it’s paramount to have each server type represented at launch, including at least one RPPvP server.

To your 3rd point for interest; I think he was referring to interest in classic servers if they have too many servers to start out it wouldn’t work.

I think theirs to much unknown… How many people play the most popular private server? 10-15k avg on 2 servers or something like that? If thats all they get willing to sub up then thats what 4 servers aiming for 3500 avg players. At those #s im sure they dont want to waste the resources for a server that may only have a 500-1000 pop. Now if classic is 5 or 6 months down the road and they have had to open dozens of new servers to meet the demand they they will undoubtably open a RP-PVP server without you needing to beg.

There is a recent survey of ~20,000 players showing that there is more interest in RPPvP than there is for RPPvE.

You can see it in this OP.

Regardless of how the numbers will ultimately break down, this is absolutely reason enough to release at least one RPPvP server at launch. Simply convert one “slot” that was dedicated to an RPPvE server to an RPPvP one.

If the RPPvE servers fill up too fast and there is too much demand, they can simply release more servers!

But if there are no RPPvP servers at launch… ???

How are they going to gauge interest?

Absolutely nonsensical.

4 Likes

This is what I imagine happening. There is no metric that they can refer to to see how big this is going to be. Christ whose to say that classic won’t just have 10k active players in NA? I’m not saying that’s even close as I personally think that it’s going to be massive, but we don’t have any real hard data to show how many people are going to play.

Percentage of people who historically went to rppvp servers? They can take the overall population of classic after a month or however long and gauge that percentage to see if the number will maintain a stand-alone rppvp server? It’s not nonsensical you just don’t understand it.

Just to say this again, I think none of this is relevant as I think there will be rppvp servers popping up extremely fast becasue I think classic is going to be a hit

So by that 20000 interest and using some nost #s of 150k ish active player where it had 10k avg online… That puts you at what 1300 ish server pop at any given time… I still vote to wait and see on players trying to log in at the very least … Now im not saying dont screw the RP- PVE server all together for a RP- PVP server… But just one rp server to start please. My fear is their gonna open 2 dozen servers multiple of each kind from the get go and once the new ness of it fades we have alot of dead servers being merged and fighting to keep character names etc.

Generally speaking most of your points here are kinda nonsense and I’m guessing that is coming from a place of frustration. Which I can understand.

So I’ll just respond to the one I see as legitimate. It’s unclear how many people are actually going to play Classic. It’s not something they can have a realistic projection for.

If there is a player base in the millions ok there is some room for talk. If it’s in the hundreds of thousands… RP-PVP servers were generally the lowest populated servers in the game if memory serves correctly.

I think that is where it is coming from. They learned the lesson about server populations the really hard way, I think that contributed to at least part of the decline of this game.

There is a part of me that suspects there may just be 3 servers at launch. PvE, PvP, and RP. That explains using sharding as a crutch. We shall see as more information comes out going forward.

1 Like

They 100% won’t do this thankfully regardless of what people think. They will start with the absolute BARE MINIMUM and they can literally just create servers off the fly. This is why they need sharding at launch because if they have servers at launch to supply 10k people but there is 5 million in the first hour, those servers wouldn’t be playable at all. They can create more servers as is needed but keep sharding on them so they aren’t needing to create 200 servers to keep them playable.

Why doesn’t Blizzard actually just listen to feedback, take a vote, get a census of where every player is going to play, then they can see, oh 12% of players actually want rppvp, then we should make 12% of our realms that type!

I made that number up but you get the idea, they should just put up a poll somewhere, maby only forum accounts who posted in the classic forums in the last 30 days to make sure its not biased.

2 Likes

Have you ever seen online votes before? Like when mountain dew let people submit names for their new drink? Or when Tailor Swift was having a contest to play at a school and the internet made a school for the deaf win?

1 Like

That sounds like a very toxic vote just meant for trolling, this is the classic players where talking about here, just active wow accounts who are going to play classic wow.

1 Like

Lets say you and ehma are not just here to be contrarian just to get reactions.

Lets say they actually look at the polls that have been taken, and see that rppvp servers handily beat out rp servers. Heaven forbid they should do so, much better idea to gauge it on server populations bloated by retail tourists and maybe get around to forcing people to reroll after the fact because of their cluelessness.

Its bad enough they are making bad decisions like this, but it is icing on the cake to have people like you two stiring the waters takes it to another level.

1 Like

Polls are about the most useless thing to use though. I can go into a fortnite thread and answer a poll and my vote is just as accurate as someone who plays the game 24/7 even though I’ve never touched the game.

Additionally people could vote for rppvp servers but then actually role a pvp server with their friends. The only thing that doesn’t lie is history and what actually happens. A better way to measure this is by looking at past history of percentage of people who have played rppvp servers.

Also to your point they very well could be doing the ‘12% of servers rppvp’. But if they are only preparing for 50,000 players in the NA (not caps but actual numbers of players) then this makes the rppvp community too small to justify a server.

It’s better to wait than to jump into something like this and have potentials months to years of people’s time wasted because their server is dead

So the vote is only for retail players as of right now? What?

I mean, they have never enforced RP rules beyond the occasional non-name.

For the people playing Devil’s advocate. You’re kind of missing the serious flaw in Ion’s thinking.

Say they don’t make an RPPvP server at launch and do so later. When they do so later, all the people who wanted an RPPvP server will likely move from the server they designated as an RPPvP server, regardless of which server type it was, then move to the new RPPvP server and pretty much devastate the population of the server they were already on.

3 Likes

I can understand the hesitation on Blizzard’s part. They don’t want to repeat the mistakes of the past. They are uncertain of Classic’s future and want to play it safe to nurture it and make sure it is sustainable long term. They don’t want to be pressured into making a short-sighted mistake by a passionate community.

With that said. Open at least 1 RP-PVP server. People will flock to it and it will help Classic be the success everyone wants it to be. Ion, Lore, everyone at Blizzard, please give an RP-PVP server at launch a chance. I’m literally begging. Not having them would extremely deflate the experience and would harm the population of whatever server RP-PVPers roll on temporarily.

If you launch it, they will come.

1 Like

The problem is, No RP-PVP servers at start may kill it before it reaches waters, no one is going to move to a new server once they’ve got there storylines or guilds set up, unless you promote guilds to swap over.

There is an interest can’t say how big, but to deny one RP server type but keep the other is odd at best. One thing is, that even if people do jump servers for a RP-PVP server that comes in ?? That will also cause dead servers.

Again ONE Rp-PVP server, I’ve yet to have any information about how that is a negative effect, backed by facts.

2 Likes