Interview with Ion Hazzikostas

On minute 3:55 He talks about servers and layering and on min 8:45 he talks about streamers.

For those who are curious.

8 Likes

Ruined retail and ruining Classic with “layering” and lack of progressive itemization.

7 Likes

K. Listen from min 13:50 and you will have your answer.

1 Like

This is complete nonsense.

“Layering” is just bigger sharding, you meet some guy today, tomorrow they’re on a different layer and you never see them again. Literally the problem with Retail Cross-realm where there is no server community, and you never bond with anyone cuz you never see them again.

How will you even make Guilds? If you need your friend to sign a charter, but they’re on a different layer do you need to invite them first, then they pop into existence? Sounds like sharding to me.

Also Right click reporting, will destroy the competitive scene.

5 Likes

I don’t care about your whining, I just posted for people to see. If you want an answer from the man himself, watch from min 13:50.

Also, watch the entire interview.

3 Likes

This is a very good video. I am glad he says Layering for only a few weeks, though I would like him to say something like 2 to 4 weeks.

4 Likes

Replying… Oh boy this is gona git gud.

Ion- explains system in an educated and understandable manner

Classic wow forum- “BETTER FREAK THE F OUT”

16 Likes

Personally, I don’t have a problem with this plan. Each layer will have a vanilla server size population… that’s a fairly good amount of people.

As for not running into people again… we will have to wait and see. I ran into loads of people I never saw again in vanilla for various reasons. Doesn’t sound like this will be any different for me.

2 Likes

I would like for them to do a test with sharding, layering and without them.

Also if people would really listen to what he said, he said that eventually they will merge layers as tourist leave the game. That could mean that you will be bound to the layer your character is created into. Let’s say the cap is 3k people, layer #1 have 2000 players and layer #2 have 1000, once people leave they will then merge those to layers.

“How to ruin an MMO twice” with Ion Hazzikostas

15 Likes

When I say few weeks I usually refer to 2 or 3, since for me 4 weeks is a month, and I would say a month or months if it takes more. But we can’t read Ion’s mind :frowning:

What did he mean by this?:thinking:

Please… the drama, I can’t take it.

1 Like

Thanks, that was quality information.

1 Like

You literally didn’t even watch the video lol

1 Like

We’ve heard ActiBlizz doublespeak before. We didn’t see it because we were young and naive.

We’re older and wiser now. We’re not buying it.

1 Like

Their solution with layering is honestly a really good idea. Watching the interview, he explains the issue is not cramming 1,000 people into a single zone…they can do that. The issue is the ramifications for progress of early levels if they allowed it. Regardless of what people say, new server launches in vanilla did not result in thousands of people in a single zone.

After a few weeks, when everyone is not congested in a handful of zones, they’ll disable it. What’s interesting here is the fact he is implying that server populations in Classic will be higher than they were in Vanilla. The population of an entire realm used to be 3k, but now, each layer will be 3k. This means you will still get that “oh this is insane, the entire realm is in one zone” feeling, as if it happened during Vanilla.

The difference here is after a few weeks when they disable layering, the overall server population is going to be higher than it used to be in Vanilla. I wonder what kind of side-effects this may cause…you know, the whole delicate ecosystem argument.

7 Likes

Okay sweetheart tell me more about how blizz made fun of your wee wee

1 Like

This game was ruined by people who didn’t actually want RPGs and weren’t willing to embrace the suck.

Those people should not be catered to. They got what they wanted with Retail.

2 Likes