Interesting Mathias reports to Genn and keeps things from the current King

We know how he and Alleria handled Orcs pre WC3. That speaks volumes. Also he has two strategic locations close to Lordaeron now one must be blind not to see he will capitalize on that.

They would never hold all humans accountable if Lordaeron did something bad or even night elves after the Sundering. Double standards everywhere.

They did one genocide. Against the Draenei. The one that actually succeeded. But Velen accepts like many other races before the Orcs were mere pawns of the Legion. Humans and Night elves are still kicking and rebuilding. And almost back at full strength.

One gets tempted to point out that the logic excusing Daelin also would give the Bilge Water Goblins the right to kill humans. And the Tauran. And others.

But in these attacks, the poster is happy to argue circumstance to paint the Alliance in a better light than the Horde and claim good v. Evil. And you have allowed the point that genocide is never justified to simply drop away.

One thing people fall for is being moved off the central point by attacks. Zerde starts calling Thrall guilty of genocide. One is tempted to point out the absurdity of it. But then Zerde is back to attacking the Horde as evil and doesn’t have to deal with the issue that genocide is never justified.

2 Likes

It’s mostly about the Orc race which usually gets deflected to the whole faction. I am beyond willing to argue in good faith considering the crap i saw oneother non official forums.

They were literal rampaging monsters. How did you expect them to be handled? And save me your modern day ideas.

Orcs are people. Cope.

The idea of not applying modern morality to the setting is a valid one. Though Blizzard themselves do it a lot. (For example a book called “War Crimes” chock full of modern standards)

Though it is worth noting that to do this calls a halt to almost all the discussion about the morality of the factions. After all, if you look at what they did to Carthage, you pretty much have to assume that Ancient Rome would have been willing to label the burning of Teldrasis as a “great victory”.

2 Likes

Y’all out here making me side with Erevien a lot today, and I don’t like it.

But friend? Let me introduce you to Azeroth, where modern ideas are all over the place. Gender equality is more of a thing on Azeroth. Racial equality is too to a lesser and more scattershot extent. Azerothian trials are done in mirror to real-world ones, with a judge, jury, and prosecution and defense teams.

Azeroth is more based on modern ideas than the real world.

6 Likes

Blood elves, Void elves, and High elves share more of that burden considering they were part of the strata of society that actually took part in summoning demons while the Night elves didn’t know what Azshara was up to until the Legion was upon them. Night elves being descendants of the lower classes or those themselves who rallied against the demon invasion while the majority of the upper strata became naga or demons, with only a fraction joining Dath’Remar.

2 Likes

Nah, they’re all racial offshoots and other than an exception or two, they were all born much later. I do not accept a belief in inherited guilt, passed down across generations. In contrast, there are many still-living night elves who were around when their race blew up Azeroth.

If y’all want to blame whole races for the bad actors, then night elves catch all the blame. The night elves of today are the very same night elves of way back then. They catch all that racial guilt y’all like throwing around.

4 Likes

But you do apparently believe in the concept of shared guilt. Even those who fought against the forebears of those races are culpable.

1 Like

I’m arguing within the predetermined context of shared guilt that others insist upon. With respect, scroll up and refresh yourself on the context of the conversation.

2 Likes

The endless excuses and apologies for alliance players on their favorite races will never stop at the same time they attack Horde races all the time. The hypocrisy is real.

Lets see. We just had a big long discussion about this. Someone jumps in and asks to start it up from square one with a provocative assertion… Conclusion…

Don’t feed the trolls.

2 Likes

To be fair. I think these posts come from a minority of even Alliance players.

3 Likes

It’s definitely a minority of players. We can all disagree on how certain things portrayed, and that’s perfectly okay, but the excuse making is definitely from a small group of players

3 Likes

Exactly this. It’s barely a handful of people around here making up justifications for everything the Alliance has ever done. Likewise, it’s only a handful of people doing the same for the Horde.

Probably most of the arguments here that might seem like Alliance/Horde apologists are actually people on either side nitpicking minutiae, fully knowing and aware that we’re nitpicking minutiae.

7 Likes

Technically speaking… it was Malfurion who blew up Kalimdor. So yes… Night Elves can rightfully take the blame. But if you’re going to hand them the blame, you also have to credit them with slamming the door on Sargeras’s face by doing so.

2 Likes

Malfurion was forced to destroy the well. The ultimatelt cause was Azshara/her cronies.

So now, I’ll blame her(and those who followed her) and credit Malfurion for doing what was needed.