Interesting Like Sockpuppeting On This Community Council Thread

I was just browsing through the community council forums seeing what the people on there are talking about and I randomly came across this thread.

Seems nothing out of the ordinary but then I scrolled over to the achievements of some of the people that liked the thread and golly gosh it’s amazing how many of those people are actually the same person. And it’s not just one guy doing it either I counted at least two doing the same thing after viewing their collections on this thread. You can look at it yourself if you’d like. After around 7-8 profiles I just stopped viewing them but getting an accurate count on how much it was like bombed might be interesting as well. You can also notice that some of the classic characters appear to be from the same account as they are in the same guild as well.

I just find it odd that it’s even happening and a bit concerned on whether or not Blizzard realizes it’s happening. Lets say your someone who works at Blizzard, obviously your thoughts on something might be “Wow! people really want this specific thing it has way more like engagement than other threads.”. Not really something I’d think people want but I suppose it could be called into question how much Blizzard listens to the CC as well I guess.

Either way another thing that wouldn’t exist if our forum accounts had battletags probably.

12 Likes

Typical high elf fan behavior

12 Likes

Weird they liked they’re own posts.

Weird you eyed the people who liked it for no reason.

If this is all a weird ruse for btag promotion, I would not be surprised. I’d like btags but let’s not be weird.

9 Likes

Let’s not start trashing people again over Helfs and Belfs, please. This isn’t even appropriate behavior for the forum. If you have an issue with someone, report it. Don’t bring the drama here.

7 Likes

Pretty sure the mods can see it’s the same person.

7 Likes

Who cares? I mean if you really want BTags remove character posting and just have your BTag.

Sockpuppeting really isn’t a problem like people make it out to be.

3 Likes

it’s not just the ones on retail, either.

amazingly, there’s a bunch of classic toons, all on Benediction, all in the same guild.

It’s pretty gross that a member of the COMMUNITY council, would use their own characters to pretend that the COMMUNITY shares their views on a thing.

10 Likes

This isn’t really about high elves but rather to bring attention to a problem that’s happening, fake boosted engagement on community council posts is in my opinion a little bit problematic.

I’d wager they should be able to they might still not realize it though. You have to click on the likers to find out what’s happening I imagine they usually don’t do that.

My line of logic was this, I noticed an abnormally high amount of likes for a CC thread. They usually range from around a dozen to 30ish likes unless it’s a topic people are really riled up about like the wow token thread so I just skimmed over a few and found my suspicions were correct. Btags are inherently important to this topic because they represent a solution for something like this.

Yea I won’t accuse the OP of that thread of doing it because I cannot know for sure. For all we know it could be some unrelated people boosting either because they like the topic or are just plain doing it maliciously to make the poster look bad but yes I find it problematic.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s easy to see a sock puppet. Because their achievement points are almost identical. That may lead you down a rabbit hole. i’m too lazy though… But I applaud the people who arent

2 Likes

This is what tipped me off. And then there are the classic characters that are blatantly in the same guild.

Yea the community Council is the biggest joke on the forums lmao

The amount of alt hopping to agree with themselves and trying to hide as they spout nonsense to start foghts

4 Likes

I suppose I am as well. When OP said people who liked the thread I opted not to use the mental energy to assume they would also mean comments when I made my post. Which imagine they did. I just thought the meant the ones who liked and that’s what was weird.

Um. Okay?

2 Likes

probably the people who don’t want others to speak on their behalf?

10 Likes

The high elve craze is still alive and well

1 Like

Yea I get talking about how someone is using alts to mass agree with something/themselves isn’t the most riveting thing but I still think it might have some importance as other than crossposting a community council thread there aren’t many apparent ways for blizzard to see the consensus on a community council thread from the people outside of the council other than a Like metric.

They don’t care about this anyway.

2 Likes

I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I can’t stop anyone from liking it via multiple characters, and the forum makes it easy for someone to do so.

After looking it over: It should be obvious to anyone via the names looking the same that it would be the same person. I would like this to be removed, but I don’t have the ability to remove likes.

The post still stands and indicates what the community I represent would like.

5 Likes

I feel like I see more of a push for better changes on other platforms than the CC. All I see from the CC is drama

I just wrote about what you kindly pointed out here:

Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I also edited the post in question to remind people not to ‘Like’ with more than one character. While I get enthusiasm, this want can hold its own without the extra enthusiasm via alts. There is not much else I can do as I lack any moderation tools.

EDIT: Updated the post so it is more concise, including the title.

2 Likes