Restriction: 'Like' a Post on One Character per Account

An individual brought it to my attention that similarly-named characters liked a post made within the Community Council. I feel this breaks the credibility of the ‘like’ :heart: system by allowing it. It was one of my posts, and I can’t remove the ‘likes.’

I am certain that Blizzard can see on their end if the characters belong to the same account, but the community should be afforded such transparency too. The Community Council member cannot control when this happens, and it is a bit messy in the sense it derails the integrity of the post.

I have since edited my post to remind people to like it once (only one character), but I feel this should be built in given it doesn’t indicate more than one person’s train of thought. This will also help everyone understand what issues people feel most strongly about, and that said posts aren’t bloated with alt characters sending likes.

Regarding the post: I really appreciate the enthusiasm, but if we want to get ideas across the finish line with ‘likes’ holding any weight, we should limit ‘likes’ to one character per account. It’s genuine and just the right thing to do. We can have confidence in a good idea having great support without alts.

Thank you. :pray:

EDIT: Updated the post name to be more concise.

27 Likes

Like people have been asking; Forums should be based on bnet tag and not individual characters. This would stop the “Character swap to inflate the likes” issue.

I agree that swapping characters to spam like on a thread hurts the process of a threads idea rather than supports it.

19 Likes

I would say that the forum should be by Battle net tag but then, you want to be able to switch characters depending on what to post/why.

Though, thread interaction, that I agree with. One account has one like, one report, nothing more. You can post seven messages to the same OP but only like the OP once.

5 Likes

If it’s based on BattleTag, I would only ask that a general name mask the tag. Some of my friends on BattleNet use their real-life names or something that would give them away.

This way (BattleTag) makes the most sense to me. The thread from General Discussion regarding ‘sock puppets’ is still going. It has been interesting and insightful, to say the least, but how can anyone trust the integrity of any ‘liked’ post without a system in place?

One poster from that thread made a good point: If CC posts are based on ‘likes’ as the weight for justifying an implementation, then having alts upvote ruins the integrity of what the community actually wants. Each person should be allowed only one upvote, otherwise, there is no point in ‘likes,’ especially in this subforum.

10 Likes

I think going the route of Btag forums, we’d still be on a character of our choosing but our btag would be displayed between our name and our guild name. I’m not sure how Btag works with “Real Name” usage but I see Btags as they are now as pseudo-usernames. Like mine starts with Ravijioli#(numbers), So That’s what people would see next to my characters name.

6 Likes

I think this would be a great way to implement it and make the ‘Like’ feature genuine/not lose its meaning.

2 Likes

The community has pointed out that not only are using multiple characters on the same account a way to ‘Like’ a post more than once, but it is also used for trolling.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/can-we-add-btags-yet/1657274

I am in favor of any way to remove this sort of behavior. I realize that while individuals will have more than one account, it can still greatly help reduce the amount of ‘Likes’ given by the same person, or harassment/trolling via multiple characters on that same account.

3 Likes

I’ve been fighting for changes like this for five years and we haven’t had any concrete changes so far.

2 Likes

When you give a people the tools to use them maliciously against you. It’s best to take them away. Ask forgiveness later instead of permission.

The reasons to have validation behind who the player / person posting is has been made. I think there is enough merit from the overall discussion that’s been around for years now.

If we had to play devils advocate, (assuming you’re in favour of adding visual displays to know who is posting what.) What logical reasons are there to keep the current system so people are able to exploit -likes- and -multiposting- from other accounts.
If you had to give a reason you don’t agree with, what would it be?

Figure out the whole conversation from front to back. Let people decide with all the facts.

3 Likes