Input (Keyboard/Mouse) issues since 10.1, character stuck running

i have a corsair harpoon and use the side buttons to strafe left and right, i cannot use them so far this patch because i will be stuck running in a direction until i hit the button again. this is definitely a wow issue

1 Like

Iā€™ve been having this exact issue since the patch. I have my strafe set for the 4/5 mouse buttons. As soon as I try to strafe on any of my characters, they begin running nonstop. Itā€™s making gameplay almost unbearable.

3 days of same issue with strafe and backpedal on the mouse buttons. To all those having this problem please make sure youā€™re submitting bug reports in-game.

2 Likes

Good point. I submitted a bug report in game this morning.

Hey all,

The bug causing M4/M5 mouse buttons to cause stuck movement was confirmed and the WoW team will be working on a fix as soon as possible.

In the meantime you should be able to work around this by using mouse software to re-bind those M4/M5 buttons to keys on your keyboard. Then bind those keys to strafe or whatever movement you need in-game.

Thanks again for the reports!

6 Likes

Exact same setup, exact same issue. Currently canā€™t play.

2 Likes

Just going to throw my voice into the pile - Iā€™ve been playing with M4 and M5 as my strafe buttons for years, as well, and this bug is making it very frustrating to play the game. I donā€™t use WASD at ALL, so the game is nearly unplayable when Iā€™m having to constantly stop my character from auto-running as I run about doing quests or whatever content Iā€™m trying to do.

3 Likes

Also use m4 and m5 for movement and it was sticking in until pressed again. It greatly reduced my ability to perform in raid to the point where I havenā€™t even attempted any dungeons. Luckily we are in-between seasons and I donā€™t need vault choices.

3 Likes

What software are you recommending for Windows 11 users?

Also having this issue (I have backwards movement bound to m4 / ability (divine storm) bound to m5) and it seems it only causes ā€œstickingā€ on the backwards movement, not even auto run, auto run if I toggle forward etc cancels this seems to stay stuck in movement until I hit the same button again, I canā€™t cancel out the movement with other keys until I hit m4 again to cancel

I found a workaround that may work for others. If you have a mouse that uses corsair icue, razer synapse or another program that lets you assign macros to your mouse, assign a macro to your mouse 4/5 button that presses the left and right arrow buttons (or anything else you dont use). Then make that the keybinding in wow. so now your mouse is sending the signal that a keyboard button is being pressed not mouse 4/5 and the bug shouldnā€™t happen. It has been working for me.

1 Like

This keeps happening to me as well. The latest time it got me disconnected because of where I was flying and now I canā€™t even log into my character anymore, it just perpetually disconnects me. This is extremely frustrating.

I cannot find any free mouse software to rebind my mouse keys. What is Blizzard recommending we use?

Iā€™m losing confidence there will be a solution by Tuesday. It isnā€™t open source, but X-Mouse Button control (https ://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/xmousebuttoncontrol.htm) is free andā€“nearest I can tellā€“legit. Still, browse and download at your own risk. Works on my Windows 11 PC. Steps:

1. Launch the software
  2. In Mouse button 4 dropdown select Simulated keys
  3. In the popup that presents you can type {RIGHT} (or your preferred keyboard map) or select the key from the drop down to the RHS
  4. Underneath that for ā€œHow to send Simulated strokesā€ select option 3 for ā€œDuringā€
  5. Hit OK
  6. Hit Apply
  7. Remap key in wow and verify fix works
  8. Repeat for middle mouse and/or MB5 if needed
3 Likes

Having similar issues but I am not stuck running. I have my middle mouse button (scroll) set as movement and also have modifiers for healing spells set to it as well as my other buttons. I have noticed just this last week that when I am healing sometimes my mouse just disappears on the screen like its ā€˜lockedā€™ in place. I think its my middle button that triggers it, sometimes, as when I click the middle button again it finally releases. Its really a pain. I checked all of my bindings and I canā€™t find anything that would make my mouse ā€˜lockā€™ and go invisible like this.

This has happened to at least one person on every m+ run we have done. Right after the key is inserted, the person starts auto running and the mouse disapears and you cant turn auto run off you have to do a /reload.

3 Likes

I opened a ticket inside WoW and theyā€™ve said itā€™s a known bug that theyā€™re working on. I replied saying that this affects my gameplay to such a large degree that I cannot play. I asked for a gametime credit.

Their response was to tell me to go find some mouse software (they did not name anything specific) or unsubscribe from WoW.

Manā€¦ customer service has gone downhill so badly. I am taking the summer off from WoW. Maybe Iā€™ll try again in the fallā€¦ maybe I wonā€™t.

2 Likes

Yeah, the CS is terrible. All they do is reply to you. Even when you have issues that is their fault they do absolutely nothing. They are probably not allowed to do anything but that doesnt change the fact they are useless.

So glad to see this is getting looked into. I came to possible find a solution and/or inform that iā€™m also having the same issue. Fellow mouse-movers unite! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you know if this is going to be fixed up by tomorrowā€™s raid release, or should we go with the work-around?

Thanks for looking into it :slight_smile:

1 Like