Input (Keyboard/Mouse) issues since 10.1, character stuck running

Yeah, allows me to freely use left hand to use abilities that are keyboard while strafing, I’m sure other people have their own “standard” way, but I always used mouse buttons to strafe.

3 Likes

Experiencing the same bug here. Even going as far as to change my mouse side buttons to numbers on the num pad via software does not fix the issue.

1 Like

Had the same issue while using a razer mouse. Was able to re-bind the MB4/MB4 buttons to 0 and 9 on my keyboard since I don’t use them for anything in game. This did stop the automatic movement while holding both MB4/MB5 and I can still use them to strafe after rebinding them.

1 Like

I am having the same issue. I literally can’t change my strafe keys, I move with my mouse and cast with my keyboard. I would have to rebind EVERYTHING and that’s not practical.

This bug has been happening for awhile, I suspect it used to only occur when both strafe buttons were pressed. Now it happens when any mouse button is pressed.

1 Like

I can confirm the effectiveness of this work around. Using third party software to remap the strafe buttons causes the “auto-strafe” bug to go away. However, we should not have to use third party software like Rewasd in order to have full WoW functionality. It is also inconvenient to change profiles to gain default Mouse button 4 and 5 functionality back for other purposes.

But anyone looking for a fix can bother with that for now.

4 Likes

Came here to report a “stuck running bug” and found this thread.

In my case, I am using a simple 2-button scroll mouse. I guess, technically three-button since the scroll wheel can also “click”. My issue occurs when I run through any in-game portal when using the “hold right and left mouse button simultaneously” to move.

I tried using the W-button on the keyboard and the UP-button on the keyboard, but both demonstrate similar “keep on running” issues. Not every time, even when transiting the same portal.

Like the OP, this new “feature” came with 10.1 .

2 Likes

Same issue as of this patch. This is so ingrained into the way I play that I simply will not play until its fixed.

6 Likes

I am having the same issues upon login last night. Like most of you, I have updated drivers and logged in with no addons on. Unless I use ASDW, my character doesn’t move. I am also unable to target players and NPCs by clicking on them. It has made the game completely unplayable for me.

3 Likes

Tested this morning on my work PC, and this bug does not happen on Linux/Wine. That’s kind of interesting.

2 Likes

There seems to be a lot of this, just in different forums.
Mouse Click Issues - Support / Bug Report - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com).

I’ve got autorun on button 4, walk backwards on 5, and autorun seems to default to walk backwards if my last manual movement was to walk backwards. Nor does autorun cancel on manual input (trying to run forward by pressing down left and right at the same time). The situation seems to resolve itself if I swap the bindings on 4 and 5, though its spotty.

Consequently, I’m easy pickings for ground effects :slight_smile:

Bindings have been the same since Wrath.

I’m not a programmer, but I expect there’s some variables in the autorun direction and state that are being modified by directional movement and prior usage, rather than reverting to “run forward until canceled by toggle or manual input”.

Edit: whenever it’s wonky on the mouse, it also gets wonky with my keyboard movements. Clicking my keyboard autorun causes me to run backward if my last movement was running backward.

2 Likes

I am experiencing a similar issue, where a key is “stuck”, but not the auto walk.

For me, my right mouse button is the default interact button. About 40% of the time when i right click on something, the game thinks i am still holding down the right mouse button, and that i didnt click and release. This means that i do not actually interact with the object i was trying to and that when i use my left mouse button to turn my character while its interacting (i.e., turning the camera while my character picks up an herb), it not only doesnt pick up the herb, my characrer starts walking away because im now holding down “both” mouse buttons.

This has never happened before 10.1 and cannot get it to replicate outside of WoW.

I have tried turning off all addons as well and it does not stop.

3 Likes

My partner gets exactly this problem.

I get a different one. My default autorun button is middle mouse click, and that randomly starts working in reverse, making me walk backwards instead of forwards. I have to click my actual back button to reset it to normal.

1 Like

This is the comment i was looking for. Same keybinds for me and doing the same thing. Thankfully im not going crazy but this sucks.

2 Likes

Same issue here, game is unplayable for me since patch. I have exactly the same key binds. Was not happening last patch.

2 Likes

Movement keys have been bound this way since cataclysm without issue. This issue is game breaking for some of us.

6 Likes

I have the same issue as of 10.1. I cannot play while this bug is in place, I use mouse strafing way too much.

4 Likes

Same issue here! I literally ordered a new mouse because I thought it was a hardware issue. Turns out that the new mouse does the same thing and then I find this thread. Please fix this bug blizzard!!!

2 Likes

I did some testing, looks like any addons aren’t causing it, and it seems most to come into play when strafing while attacking or strafing using my mouse while engaging any number of keybinds on my keyboard. Strafing with my mouse side buttons is the only way it will be possible to play at the level I have been for years. No settings changed on my end since BfA. I use a deathadder mouse, but seems to be happening with multiple others.

Are we expected to somehow play using other strafe buttons since, you know, the side buttons are almost always used for strafe?

4 Likes

My keybinds are the same and getting stuck as well. I reported this bug yesterday, Still no changes. Any other options available. I’ve been playing like this since Vanilla. Please help

1 Like

I was able to use third-party software to change my mouse buttons entirely so that WoW doesn’t recognize them as MB4 and MB5. The program I used is called X-Mouse Button Control. I set them to Page Up and Page Down and it works like a charm.

2 Likes