In-Game Combat Log Range Decreased

I thought people were complaining that the individual client puts other players in stealth when they are in range of you. You may be in stealth before, but the combat log of that other player just detected you and you’re in stealth. Would it not say something along the lines of “Juri used stealth.”? I don’t check my combat logs nor use this add-on, so I have no idea, but that will be good if this is an actual nerf to the add-on.

No, it only picked up on it if you went stealth in range, if you stealthed out of range and walked in, it wouldn’t know you were there.

1 Like

This is an even bigger nerf to rogues now. As many people have already said, now you will know exactly when a rogue is in the vicinity if their stealth is picked up by Spy.

To all those people saying “get gud” and “just adapt to Spy”, it’s very easy for you to say that but “adapting” to spy sucks. All it makes you do is just stealth earlier so now you have to waste more time trying to catch your opponent in stealth, instead of being agile and stealthing at the last moment (without being scene). There was an art to that. No more. Honestly it takes less skill now since you just have to linger around in stealth longer. It’s a nerf to the class, it’s annoying, and it makes the class less exciting.

RIP rogues it’s been real and GG blizzard you took my favorite class and nerfed the best part about it.

1 Like

They also managed to do it in a way that affects many pve addons… so gg. Been down this road before, doesn’t end well.

I understand the need of this for pvp, but will this not break logging for raids? There are fights in which players will be more than 50 yards away from one another.

wait spy add on TELLS you where the rogue I must have missed that check box

let me guess you also a no changes person well unless you can’t stun lock helpless players

Uses of Spy I’ve gotten were…

• Counting the number of enemies in a nearby area.
  • Detecting enemies while you are hiding out of view (like behind a gate/wall).
  • Detecting people as they rez.
  • Detecting nearby players as they stealth.
  • Selecting players that are detected (and if priest, using mind vision)

The changes here dramatically nerf many of the strong parts of spy which is interesting. I’m typically anti-addon but also am on board with #nochanges, so this is kinda neutral for me.

I’ve also understood over WoW’s 15 year history that they have almost always allowed addons of virtually any power level into the game and haven’t ever disallowed the 3rd party software to work with the game. With this knowledge, I use addons understanding that they are not just part of the game, it’s something Blizzard have condoned as a requirement to play the game otherwise you are severely and optionally crippling yourself.

I find it interesting because we’ve had more so many years of arena where almost every PvP breaking addon was fully allowed and pretty much required in most cases. The amount of awareness the addons granted make spy look feeble in comparison.

And that doesn’t even bring up all of the other addons that pull from the combat log at great distances.

• Damage Meters
  • Gear detectors/Player inspectors
  • Deadly Boss Mods
  • Player weekly honor data
  • Addons that detect the player/class/spec of those entering arena before the gates open
  • Addons detecting cooldowns and tracking their durations
  • Addons detecting spellcasts and their target without you needing to select the player…

Yet all of those addons are untouched. This is not a #nochanges change. This is actually unique precedent that can extend to Retail and its’ newest expansion.

Looking at the video of the world first ragnaros in Vanilla, the rogue was using a damage meter working just fine. That fight has people outside the 50 yd range all the time.

Damage meters use the combat log to track raid data don’t they?

1 Like

Hmm, do they write those in real-time? I guess I’ll just have to throw together an out-of-game utility that parses it and detects players from the full range again!

I think this is the best solution to the problem as it stands without breaking a large number of other addons.

Thank you blizzard. Either way.

1. to listening to the playerbase.
    and
  2. not giving them a mile for the inch that was needed.

(a lot of the ‘suggestions’ would have decimated a large portion of addons and not in any way helpful. This will at least have some impact without destroying things)

Combat log sniping has existed long before the advent of Spy and the DOUBLING of combat log range in a later stage of the game

50 yards is a slap in the face

And that doesn’t even bring up all of the other addons that pull from the combat log at great distances.

• Deadly Boss Mods

This is hardly a rigorous test, but Tinker Gizlock’s Goblin flame gun in Mara isn’t triggering the DBM alert as far as it usually does.

If you can just look at combat logs, why do you need Spy?

Onyxia should use this quote to argue against Blizzard allowing DBM.

Should have left the server with the rest of us. heartseeker is nice.

the first people who did it HAD addons.

1 Like

Uhhh… This “fix” for the Spy addon just makes things worse for rogues in stealth.

Now the opposing player will know a rogue is within 50 yards and in stealth…and know when to drop AOE on the poor rogue.

2 Likes

No it’s the opposite, players are completely blinded to players entering stealth within render distance unless they’re stupid enough to do it on top of another player.

1 Like

50 yards is a fair distance…what about vanishing during combat?

They were doing that before anyways. And 50 yards is not that large of a distance either…It’s maybe 10 seconds for a rogue to bridge that gap to a player, and if that person is engaged with a mob or riding towards the rogue then he won’t have much time react.

The way it way it was before was that players could be detected from as soon as they popped into view - 150 yards or so if not larger.