In-Game Combat Log Range Decreased

The posts about the Spy addon were numerous and went on for months. So yeah. This has been a hot topic since month one.

1 Like

I am merely pointing out that the game can be infinitly harder without the use of addons. It seems like everyone is trying all the old routs to defeat the end bosses. How about people step up and prove something better? It can be done right? We have better computers, we have live chat between players, we have the battle down on paper for people to study. How about a team go in and do it without add ons? This would be the ultimate challenge right? This would let you be better than method or ape or whomever. Just do it.

Off you go then. Post it to YouTube for that hard earned.

While we are at it, dont forget to break the range of the combat log on retail, so you know, dbm/bigwigs is broken for those Mythic world firsts.

1 Like

I am very happy.

Listen, I was just trying to spur excitement. I am sorry If it went over that. I really do think the goal to defeat the bosses would be no add ons at the top level of the list. Me myself, a life of contruction and body breaking work has rendered my hands and body really almost useless for reflex and feeling of anything really. I wish I had the body I did 20 yrs ago or I would be first on the bench to stand up to this challenge. But this would be a challenge. Imagine shaming all and everyone else, by doing it natural. I mean no disrespect, I just think this is what we should strive for in classic. This would be truly the end game.

1 Like

I know it. I’m turning 33 myself soon, but I had a health incident which basically made me older faster back in 2016. I’m living like I’m 50 basically now.

2 Likes

That’s because Combat Log range was adjustable with a /console command and could be extended up to 200 yards. This was a Vanilla-era thing but it was very risky command because most of our machines and addons couldn’t handle that kind of unfiltered spam.

With it being fixed at 50 yards, that dramatically cuts down on the slush factor in pinpointing the enemy. Spy could easily take advantage of this fixed information now and make better approximations of enemy player location IF other players detected the same event at the same time.

Should be fun!

1 Like

Well I want to wish you good fortune and best of luck! :slight_smile: May the mother earth smile on you and give you her blessing.

1 Like

thanks. You also in general with life.

1 Like

There remains the issue of the addon automating the communication of information parsed from one players’ logs to the addon of another player, regardless of where they are in the world, effectively increasing the radius of detection well beyond 50 yds.

There is also the issue of detection of players who are within 50 yds but who are out of line of sight. I hope Blizzard will, in their view of game design, weigh more heavily the importance of reacting to subtle graphic+auditory queues in PVP situations rather than noisy addon alerts. Other addons like “GTFO” fall into this category, not just spy, and make the game too easy by automating log parsing and triggering of noisy sounds and queues.

3 Likes

This change should be pretty good for reducing lag in general, sounds great!

2 Likes

This was needed. I’m not even coming in from the perspective of a rogue, I don’t think an addon should blast “STEALTH DETECTED!” but I also shouldn’t be able to pinpoint the coordinates of a player and hunt them down like a Navy Warship if I am unable to find them with my own vision… although the addon has been quite fun to use :slight_smile:

I have not experianced any automation from the addon.

What i can do is right click the name and report it to a chat channel (raid/party/guild/general), that gives out the name of the enemy, class and the last location of myself when the addon picked up the player

1 Like

It does not give coords of the enemy player. It saves coords of yourself when it seen the player.

Now that its tuned to within 50 yards instead of 200, its actually more accurate

5 Likes

That’s intended with the addon specific communication channel that was added in Patch 1.12. That’s authentic to Vanilla entirely. Also if you’re really concerned about someone being detected in Ashenvale while you’re in the Barrens… umm… lol?

This is also intended. /tar exists as do .wav files.

Whether it’s intended is not the issue, it’s whether it’s good game design.

It is good game design.

The default UI provides audio cues, visual cues, and targeting elements based on a host of combat related triggers.

The default UI also provides an open access API to modify, reduce, alter, add, and otherwise customize those aforementioned cues and elements.

You needn’t modify, but Blizzard has built this game on that concept for 15yrs, and here we all are. Safe to say the design works.

2 Likes

I disagree. See how this works?

Thank you for correcting me. Anecdotally I’ve been 100% successful running back to said coordinates and hunting those players down so it is helping -me- out in any sense, I’d like to believe I am observant but my first kill with the addon was in Darkshore and the addon told me a player was nearby. Turned out he was behind the hill talking to the two quest givers out of my LOS and I could find him by ordering my imp to run him down. Wouldn’t have found him without it!

2 Likes

Yes. You simply disagree, the status quo, Blizzard, and the history of this game, say otherwise.

I’ll go with the status quo over your aesthetic displeasure.

1 Like