I'm stuck on Tyrande's bizarre, vague line to Calia in the SL entry quest at the Frozen Throne

Assuming Tyrande does kill Calia in a fit of rage, how would Jaina react?

So far the justification is that both being undead and the details of raising could have effect.

The souls of the undead (Forsaken, PC death knights, ghouls, etc.) are imperfectly attached to their bodies; the dark magic that sustains them is a buffer that prevents their souls from properly joining with their bodies. This is why undead feel only faint sensations of pain or discomfort from most physical stimuli

© Nyorloth

we’ve seen that being raised can result in certain different circumstances. One person who’s raised may be very much intact. They may essentially be the same person that they were in life. Others are more aggressive, more hateful or more scornful than they were in life. And part of that has to do with the manner in which they’re raised.

http://lorekeeper.net/en/maldraxxus-shadowlands-and-beyond-interview-with-steve-danuser/

Might not be brainwashing, but they might not be adequate because of the anger they felt before death, pain they felt in the Maw, and having negative emotions amplified + positive being mostly lost since that is how necromancy seems to work.

1. Arthas, the devs might want to use her for that story line.
  2. After all the time she had access to the horde, we still see her alone in Orgrimmar. Neither her husband nor the daughter with her. Shadowlands would be the next place for Calia to search.

No. She is there, because, as she says to Lor’themar, legacy of Lich King is related to her, so she asks if the horde representatives could take her too the ICC, even though, she is “just an advisor”, not a proper horde member.

The official stance of the devs is that she is there “for personal reasons”.

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/50647-calia-is-not-the-leader-of-the-forsaken-the-first-ones-final-boss-of-shadowlands-sylvanas-motivation-and-more-interview-roundup/

Highborne were not welcomed by every night elf elves originally. Yet times have changed.

That’s from the intro quest chain of Shadowlands where we enter it for the first time (actually, 2nd time, but not everyone did Uuna “quest”).

You dare to speak to me of peace? After the acrocities your kind inflicted?!

© source (and, of course, spoiler alert)

So far - because both Anduin and Calia, who are pushing the reunion, are not on Azeroth. Turalyon iirc approved the gathering (I might be wrong though, read the book a while ago and do not have it at the moment), but that won’t work without someone from the horde side.

That’s the community assumption. I guess it comes from timing with “golden one claim the vacant throne” + Sylvanas’ departune = she is the new leader confirmed.

For example, there is a wowhead video called “Calia Menethil The new Forsaken Leader”, yet their own article says “she wanted to take sides for them and lead them on their way to real freedom and back to their loved ones”. Source.

After the 4th war - most likely. Calia could be the exceptions, since she is raised by the light, so that could she might be the first undead to be fully accepted. Could be easier once at least one would get in.

All of them - no. Maybe some. We have void elves after all.

gl hf

1 Like

Why the hell would the remaining leaders of the alliance and horde be there when the enemy can just charge through? or did that invasion fail? the pre expansion event doesnt mention it and makes it seem like the maw is invading icecrown.

1 Like

Being undead messes you up. So does thousand of years of faith turning out to be a waste/untrue.

3 Likes

Two things. First it keeps Tyrande’s violent Horde hatred credibility intact, despite her appearing at a neutral gathering to address a neutral threat. So, a little love to the Night Elf fans who still want blood.

I think most significantly, it establishes Calia’s credibility with Horde players. Every disparate group that has joined the Horde has done so in response to direct threat from the Alliance, with the exception of the Tauren, Highmountain and Nightborne. The fastest way to get Calia in the fold of Horde is to have her be directly threatened by the Alliance herself.

The disappointing thing here is that this seems to indicate Calia is definitely going to be a part of the Forsaken’s new identity. Oh well, Forsaken Paladins might be cool, and a twin rulership shared between Voss and Calia might be an interesting dynamic.

4 Likes

Check out this link from where the board was discussing it last summer:

3 Likes

Well, I can only speak for myself but if this was the intention it failed completely.
It takes alot more to sell me on Calia than have Tyrande be a little rude to her. Who btw has every reason to be angry in that scene. Calia could have just kept her mouth shut, but somehow she believes she is that great peacemaker and everyone must be impressed with her wise council, when all she ever did in bfa was some group therapy with depressed dead Elves and Derek.

26 Likes

I wonder about Calia.

BtS seems so long ago and everything is almost retconned, irrelevant, or just wrong - Genn’s tail waves hello. But… the stuff Saa’ra says is curious.

Calia inserts herself at the Gathering and causes a ruckus. Who knows how it would have gone had she not been there. She has a habit of inserting herself all over the place and speaking her insane and inane ravings, while making things worse.

She is almost a literal taunting pin cushion, saying stupid things, and attracting arrows like a magnet. You would think that dinghy broad would learn to read a room.

There was a time when I liked her and sympathized with her. I was excited to see her in Legion, when she was just kinda there to help. But she is starting to act like a bratty princess who feels the world needs her guidance… I don’t know where Blizz is going with her.

Anduin and Jaina are like Calia. They can do no wrong and never seem to believe that silence is golden. Will Calia be another infallible Alliance Demigod who never shuts up- but gifted to the Horde? Or is she being built up for a satisfying smack down, like Xe’ra? Or… will she end up with her child and husband and brother and father, at peace in the Shadowlands, as the whole Menethil clan is happy in an afterlife and forever gone from our sight?

I suppose we shall see.

14 Likes

Well, not that it matters much at this point, but fact is that Sylvanas only gave the order to kill everyone after she learnt of Calia’s presence at the Gathering.

There are a lot of “what if’s” about this event. Would Parqual have decided to defect in the first place if it weren’t for Calia? What if Sylvanas had not killed the defectors, would Anduin have protected them as Calia had promised he would and risked a war over it? We’ll never know.

Nail on the head!
She’s the perfect example for good intention paving the road to hell, but unlike with Anduin the narrative doesn’t bend backwards to save her from her own mistakes all over again.
She means well, no doubt, but she is absolutely unfit to lead anyone, let alone the Forsaken, and just because Blizzard has other characters constantly sing her praise doesn’t make this any less obvious.

Hahahaha :rofl:

12 Likes

To me another interesting thing that could be used (or not) by the devs is the fact that originally Calia states that the forsaken are her friends. And then a forsaken tell about her presence to Sylvanas. As a result, she is killed.

gl hf

You’d think it makes sense that while some among of the Forsaken might be willing to welcome Calia with open arms, others ( if not the majority ) would be suspicious of her or downright opposed to the idea but yeah-

If Blizzard is hellbent on forcing her upon the Forsaken, as seems to be the direction they’re taking, we will see how they are all overjoyed, no questions asked :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I give Calia temporary benefit of the doubt for this, and place the blame on Saraka for this one- Calia was told there was people that needed her help, but not who those people were, or what kind of help they needed. So Calia is just kind of out there shotgunning her ‘guidance’, and it sometimes it doesn’t work out.

I hope she gets developed in a way that gets her past this clumsy-dumbsy personae, into something cool. Failing that, she can just stay in the shadowlands forever.

3 Likes

The Forsaken is leaderless and has been 100% dependant on a tyrannical mother figure that they based all of their ideas around since their (re)birth, and there are no prominent Forsaken left that have mass approval and visibility that we know of

I think it’s fine that Calia is trying to guide them, it makes sense for her character and isn’t annoying, the question is whether or not Blizzard makes the Forsaken people roll over and just accept a new way of life without realistic and interesting conflict

1 Like

I’ve rationalized that as gratitude for saving them from the Maw, when Elune didn’t. However the fact that they go on to send their former comrades to that fate is something I got nothing for, and it’s worse with Sira. By Shadows Rising she definitely knew that all souls were being funneled into the Maw, it’s uncertain with the other undead night elves.

I believe she asked to attend due to the fact her brother was the former Lich King and the Horde Council was cool with it.

1 Like

There were so many ways to make Calia palatable to the Forsaken. Forsaken fans waxed lyrical for years about how great it would be to see undead Calia Menethil in their ranks, and the idea is a good one on paper. Trading out an elf tyrant who only ever used them for her own shady means for the rightful heir to their homeland makes for a good transition. They need to gain something significant after losing so much of their racial identity; more than any other race in the game the Forsaken were defined by their explosively popular faction leader. Calia could have been this, done in the right way.

This weird Light hybrid thing is just… not how they should have brought her back, if her destiny is to be the Forsaken racial leader.

7 Likes

Doesn’t make much sense if you ask me. Arthas had been dead for more than 10 yrs by that point.

That’s true, but Calia never really got to look into any of the things that happened before. She wasn’t battle hardened that we know of until after Legion. She probably wasn’t going to try to go up to icecrown by herself.
It’s kind of like how Sylvanas felt the need to go there for some closure after Arthas was defeated, or how Anduin went to the Broken Shore after Varian was killed there.

1 Like

I suppose. I think, like most have said countless times already, Calia just seems so ham-fisted, none of her actions really make any sense.

The more I self reflect, the more I realize that none of my objections and theses on why Calia is awful are as truthful as they could be: if she just wasn’t yellow, I think we’d all see that she’s just as cliched and hamfisted as many other characters are and always were.

They just need to retcon her into not. being. glowy. Get rid of that, and most of my complaints kind of fall into “eh, don’t care enough to complain/I guess she kind of makes sense” territory.

2 Likes

I think that’s the problem the majority of people have with her. She isn’t just undead, she’s a super special Naaru touched Undead and it just comes off soo…cringe and I hate using that word.

4 Likes