I'm fine with 1.12 AV

No - don’t get me wrong, AV that goes for an hour or a couple of hours is all good.

But that’s not what I’m talking about - I’m talking about the epic matches that go on for a whole day. Like I said in my original post, it was probably fun the first time. But over time they just get frustrating.

Yes, because I can order players to do things and they’ll follow them without question. I can’t count how many times I’ve tried in every “racing” version of AV to try to get people to defend and it very rarely happens. People just care about ending the game asap to get that little reward and 1.12 makes that easy.

Sounds like someone isn’t very persuasive.

Sounds like someone isn’t very realistic.

I like it, I’m not huge on PvP, which is why AV was more geared for me anyway. It will not be full of Tier 2 & Rank 8+ people at launch so no 15 minute zerg will happen… Yet. If you choose to play nothing but AV for quick wins after you get all the gear it’s on you. :smiley:

If you’re Alliance and you can’t convince 9 other people to play defense with you because you know the horde is going to zerg and 10 players on defense will wipe them allowing the other 30 players to basically move down the map unopposed, then you have problems.

“They’re going to zerg, if we wipe them on the bridge we’re going to get a quick easy win.” It’s not impossible. Stop complaining about what we’re given like it’s blizzard’s fault that 1.12 is “too easy to zerg” and start working on changing the mindset of other people.

If the Alliance plays defense and wipes the horde every time while winning easily, the horde will inevitably change their tactics to make it harder for the Alliance to win. This will lead to longer better AVs. These are things totally within the control of players.

I dislike AB and moreso WSG. You know how I deal with that dislike? I choose not to play them. I enjoyed raids, but only on occasion. What did I do? I only played them when I felt like it, knowing full well that they could be a slog.

Those who dislike day(s) long AV had two other BGs to choose from. Choices are nice, but we who saw the latter versions of AV as gutted garbage will get 0 choice now. Classic was the chance that we have been asking for since during vanilla, to get that choice back. We’ve been denied.

Before Marks of Honor, those who disliked what AV was could simply not play it.

2 Likes

1.5:

• Winterax Hold

• Wildpaw Ridge

• Syndicate NPC’s

• Mine Layers, Landmines

• Korrak the Bloodrager

• Portable Shredder Unit

• Tower/Bunker Guards

• Lots of Standing Guards

• Lots of Patrols

• Long battles

1.8:

• Winterax Hold removed

• Wildpaw Ridge removed

• Syndicate NPC’s removed

• Mine Layers, Landmines removed

• Shorter battles

1.10:

• Korrak the Bloodrager removed

• Portable Shredder Unit removed

1.11:

• Tower/Bunker Guards removed

• Most Patrols removed

• Most Standing Guards removed

• Ridiculous short battle

2 Likes

1.12 has both marks of honor and AV rep.

AV has been “in control of players” the entire time. Zerging and racing has been the traditional way to play AV for most of it’s history because that is simply the path of least resistance and what most players picked despite the map never originally being designed for that style of play.

When factoring in honor per hour and rep gained per hour, most players are going to choose to end the game whether they win or lose simply so they can queue up again and repeat. They aren’t playing AV for realm pride or to win, they simply care about that little reward at the end. I’ve seen people getting angry and hostile in zerg games when people try to defend because “it might make the game last longer.”

The map is built for a long grind and the NPCs that were removed were a big part of the defense. 10ish players defending along with elite NPCs could hold back 40 players for quite awhile. After the nerfs, defending is much harder and racing is much easier.

Having played AV all through vanilla, it was plain to see that with every nerf, zerging became more and more common, up to 1.12 when games were lasting shorter and shorter amounts of time. Will we occasionally get some long games in with 1.12? Yes. But a large amount of games will also be races with very little PvP involved which is the same crap we’ve dealt with in modern WoW for over a decade.

1 Like

1.12 had DM, BWL, D2, no sharding, no loot trading…

As far as actual content classic will have DM, BWL and D2.

Anecdotal experience is anecdotal. On my server/battle group in 1.12 never had “zerg” or a “race to finish” 3-4 hour AVs were the norm, because we had players on defense on both teams. getting close to 100 killing blows, and 300+ HKs over the course of the whole battle while on defense was extremely common for me.

So in short, if you’re worried about being a zerg, it’s not 1.12’s fault. It’s the player mindset. Maybe work on changing that rather then trying to complain about the version.

1 Like

The version makes the zerging much, much, much easier. The map is wide enough to where going around the other faction is so simple when there’s no NPCs around to stop it.

Try to zerg in 1.5 or 1.7, and your mounts will not save you from elite NPCs dismounting you and killing you quite easily or running over the mines and blowing up. Add in a few players, and zerging was practically impossible.

1 Like

It shouldn’t even be necessary. If the rhetoric around here is to be believed, the Retail players won’t make it past 20, leaving only us folks who want the Classic AV experience around to willingly make it into something more than a zergfest.

[quote=“Brokenwind-malganis, post:47, topic:129471, full:true”]
I dislike AB and moreso WSG. You know how I deal with that dislike? I choose not to play them. I enjoyed raids, but only on occasion. What did I do? I only played them when I felt like it, knowing full well that they could be a slog.[/quote]

I get it, you’re an entitleist. You didn’t like WSG and you didn’t like AB. You don’t like to raid much. I suppose the game should be based around what you like then hey? Which doesn’t sound like much.

[quote=“Brokenwind-malganis, post:47, topic:129471, full:true”]
Classic was the chance that we have been asking for since during vanilla, to get that choice back. We’ve been denied.[/quote]

If you’re basing your entire anticipated Classic experience around AV then I think that perhaps you’re not a true enthusiast.

Stop your entitled whinging and be grateful you’re even getting the game.

AV 1.5: An epic, multifaceted RvR, PvPvE BG where the players complete PvE objectives for buffs and allies, and PvP objectives to soften the enemy’s defenses in an effort to overcome or outmaneuver the opposing faction and finally kill a raid boss.

AV 1.12: Remove everything from 1.5 AV except “kill a raid boss”.

2 Likes

Precisely. That’s why I’m OK with 1.12 AV.

Most of the time an AV will probably be less than an hour long. Every once in a blue moon it’ll be longer.

Literally everything before TBC is classic WoW. If not getting the exact version of AV is the deal breaker for them, they weren’t worth having in the community anyway.

What the crap? Could you have misinterpreted what I posted any more?

Ah “no true scottsman” strategy. AV was a huge part of the endgame of players who didn’t raid. We had what we enjoyed taken from us. But hey, wanting what we liked returned = “entitleist” in your warped point of view. Yikes.

I am “grateful” of no such thing. :poop:socking russians have been dishing out the very same thing for years. My wallet doesn’t magically open like yours does each time blizzard spoons up the :poop:.