I'm a Solo Player in your MMo, No I won't go play Skyrim

I always say, in the scope of humanity we have more in common than 99.9% of the rest of the world by playing the same game.

1 Like

That would had died a long time ago if had stayed like this.
Thats why it evolved.

1 Like

Funny, I remember wow as the game that took off in popularity because while it did have a decent raid scene it was very friendly to casual players and people who didn’t go the raid route. But I’m not the one here trying to kick people out of the game, explaining why it’s good that content keeps getting shifted in lazy ways into the instanced content instead of remaining its own thing, and frankly making up strawmen to defeat by exaggerating the calls for solo friendly content to remain that way into weird stories of destroying raids in the name of Soloness.

4 Likes

Pretty much, I’m just explaining that while I’m sympathetic to the want for raid gear to be superior than most (I dunno, maybe a couple awesome world drops would be nice) solo gear, that there still needs to be something like benthic gear so that we can keep up with the content.

2 Likes

What ways were there to progress your character in past versions that didn’t require raids and dungeons?

I don’t even know what you are talking about here. I never asked for people to be kicked out of the game. The hyperbole is strong here.

Okay, this comment is just strange and I just don’t understand your point here at all. WoW has always had it’s end game bosses locked behind raiding. All the stories for the zones in the past lead to dungeons and raids. If you wanted to see that content, you had to raid or run dungeons.

Remember Onyxia, Ragnoros, Nefarion, C thun, Kelthuzad all those bosses had story surrounding them weaved into the game world. You always had to raid and run dungeons to see the completion of most story lines in WoW. Did you forget Arthas too?

There are multiple raid difficulties, and the majority of content scales to your item level.

What content are you referring to that requires it?

1 Like

That gear exists in the game already. What content are you not able to compete in now or keep up other than high keys and mythic raiding that would require high ilevel gear?

1 Like

Here’s a good example. I’m not talking about beating a raid or dungeon boss, I’m talking about stuff like getting Loremaster, finishing up the open world storyline, up until legion, never needed you to step foot in a dungeon. I’m not saying give me the raid story for nothing, just the zone story. But you have gone and made it sound like I’m demanding just that. That’s what I’m talking about.

I’m talking about the way professions in legion had roadblocks where you had to do a massively lazy to make fetch quest in a dungeon to keep leveling it up, instead of being able to max out the skill and make plenty of stuff without setting foot in a raid, but there still was better stuff in the raids. I don’t mind that.

I’m not sure I’d say I’d necessarily want progression as much as things to do. If the stuff in the open world gets harder, yeah, give me some gear to keep up with it. But mainly, let me have my various other goals that were always there to work on, and don’t keep putting them in lazy dungeon or raid quests.

3 Likes

That’s fair, and some nice high-quality world drops would be great. I also like the concept of catch-up gear (currently Benthic gear/pearls) to help people feel like they are progressing in a meaningful way. However, I do firmly believe that they should re-cap gear forging to 10 i-levels. Just like they do currently on weapons. No more roll of the dice on sockets either, they need to be static.

I will say that I don’t like the current iteration of Benthic gear. It’s gear you obtain and upgrade mainly from world quests. The special abilities on them should work only for world content, not in group content (and vice versa).

1 Like

I’m fine with all that, since it’s already out, I’d prefer the solution of buffing the raid gear to be better than nerfing the benthic, but I wouldn’t have really cared if it had hit live without those things.

1 Like

The zones always wrapped up in the dungeons of that zone though. If you hung on the achievement, then I can see your point, but who cares about that?

Professions always required dungeon and raid participation. All the best recipes came from raids and dungeons. Also, a lot of the materials came from dungeons and raids. Did you forget the recipe vendor that hangs out in the BRD bar that required mats from MC?

So what content did you do in the past for end game that was solo that is different than what is available now? The game’s game loop has pretty much been the same since 2004 as far as end game world content. Unless you are asking for WoW to change it’s core design philosophies.

Character advancement shouldn’t be limited to just gear. A good example is the mage tower.

I agree, but WoW has always been a gear treadmill themepark MMO. They are not going to invest in changes now, the game is too old.

Mage tower was a previous expansion, transmog has been part of the game for some time now. You also have mounts, titles, and a lot of rewards which are not gear.

But, yeah, gear too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Then you should be happy, all that stuff exist in the game now. :slight_smile: The expansion isn’t over yet, maybe they will add a mage tower style of content for BFA.

1 Like

Eh, for the most part the dungeons were end caps to zone, or in some parts quest chains, they weren’t stuck into the middle. So you’d finish off everything else and there’d be an option to go finish the fight in a dungeon. Legion and BFa have had a bad habit of sticking the dungeon or raid quests into the middle of the questing chains and requiring them to be able to progress the solo campaigns.

Wrong.

Professions had bonuses for raids and dungeons, they never required them until Legion. Legion locked progression on the actual skill behind the various quests that had you running either mindless dungeon fetch quests, or more involved but way more likely to see you kicked out of a random group quests for optional bosses.

During Wrath we 3 manned the current heroics, after that, I did more collecting, stuff like archaeology, gearing up with the various questing options and in Pandas or so I started seeing what current expansion dungeons I could solo, didn’t mind the scenarios there with how fast they tended to pop (and I had one friend around at the time to do them with.) Leveling up alchemy to mess about on the AH with a bit, and make people turn into dragons. Haven’t touched it in a bit, but stuff like Brawler’s guild was good, although would prefer it more if it was weighted more into reacting to the mechanics without the gear checks that it at least used to have.

5 Likes

MMO never meant forced grouping… I dont know who decided that or why people assume that. It just means many people are online playing in the same world.

Of course people forget what mmorpg really stands for…

Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

6 Likes

Hey, hey, now. Just because I play girls doesn’t mean I role play girls.

At least not for free.

Had to switch again, ran out of likes.

1 Like

This is new to me. I will steal it.

+1

1 Like
2 Likes