Illidan's story vs Sylvanas' story

Instead, Sylvanas flexed her neck so meanly, even Elune lost her grip.

4 Likes

The most under appreciated ability that the Jailer bestowed upon Sylvanas: The ability to mean-mug the power of a goddess out of someone.

4 Likes

The most ironic thing is that there was little reason not to have Tyrande win, it wouldn’t have stopped literally anyone, neither Sylvanas nor Anduin nor even really the Val’kyr plothole.

4 Likes

I speculate it has something to do with the line Tyrande says before she clobs Sylvanas out of the air, I don’t remember it verbatim but it’s like a ‘my life for hers’ thing and Elune doesn’t want to complete the bargain and rescinds the Night Warrior strength.

Either way, your statement still stands though. I’m of the mind that removing the Night Warrior arc would’ve also done very little to change the stupidity of Shadowlands as a whole.

1 Like

People said they wanted the players to beat Sylvanas, not Tyrande.

And I get that.
At the time I was sooo pissed at that cinematic. like… can we please for 5 minutes not have Sylvanas smugly smirking at us? Could we please just have something kick her in the face?

If the fight was moon juiced tyrande kicking Sylvanas’ butt and in the final blow you see her start losing control. Thats not Elune deciding for her, but literally Tyrande losing control which we then are supposed to come in and stop before it kills her.

So Sylvanas survives by sheer luck instead of being such a Girl Boss, ugh.
Same thing with Nathanos and Darkshore, just let her be competent, they should have had a cinematic about Nathanos getting killed there which would have made Sylvanas even more unhinged and explained the “YOU ARE ALL NOTHING” before she farted away into the clouds.
It would explain her outburst.

But thats just my 2cents on this.

Idk, I kind of like swol Tyrande and the astral skin.
If we ever get Night Elf paladins I wonder if I could have shoulders and skin options like that.
Such a shame they were wasted.

4 Likes

I mean one less stupid thing couldn’t hurt right?

4 Likes

Oh I definitely LOVED swole Tyrande, the whole concept of the Night Warrior was actually awesome, just the execution… yanno. Well… we all know how that went.

I think even just your minor suggestions to tweak the presentation without changing the actual path of the story would’ve been way better than what we got.

1 Like

I think some of this content was meant to be combined with the war of thorns to start with. So that might be why the elves take a(nother) beating in the quests if it was originally meant to be the same thing. Reason I think this is Summermoon gets rezzed in it, her corpse is still there like its a day later.

Then that entire storyline should not have happened.

I seen it suggested that the entire Tyrande vs Sylvanas fight should have been a recreation of the Kharn vs. Erebus fight from the Warhammer books. A complete no-holds-barred beatdown that everyone see’s as a taste of well-deserved comeuppance, where Sylvanas survives by a quick divine (Jailor?) intervention. And Tyrande can have her power spike feedback since she doesn’t have a meat-punching bag to pummel anymore.

But no, Sylvanas has to shrug everything off and get in her last Whelton-esque one-liner in.

https://old.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/6m87jm/what_is_the_best_case_of_revenge_in_the_lore/djzturt/

3 Likes

Whoa now let’s not go overboard here.

I mean I know way better is relative, but still, the Night Warrior arc from basically shortly after the cool beginning to … everything else … was a letdown and contributed nothing to the overall story.

Hypothetically, without it, the overarching story doesn’t suffer, but moreover it really doesn’t change much (as far as I can tell). We skip a few quests, finding people, chasing Tyrande, trying to cure her. No big losses there.

And it would make even more sense when Sylvanas wriggles away because Tyrande isn’t Elune-juiced up but Sylvanas is Jailer-juiced (which sounds like a terrible smoothie). But even had Tyrande killed Sylvanas what does that do? Send her to the Maw? She literally runs there after! I still don’t even understand how choking an undead was going to kill her!

SL has a bunch of narrative negatives, so singling this one out isn’t fair, but it felt so … dumb/wasted/pointless all at once and played across two expansions!

5 Likes

I am rather mad about Kael’thas since he wasn’t an anti hero but a fully fledged hero. If anyone deserves a redemption its him and not Illidan. Sylvanas will be back once her community service is over.

1 Like

The Horde didn’t do anything wrong. Destroying the alliance is noble and good.

He didn’t. He was a self serving bastard who sought more power. The retcon into a selfless savior against the legion was the most stupid plot ever.

1 Like

I definitely agree with your points. I think my main gripe with the Night Warrior was in the way that it was presented in that it was … well, pointless - like you mentioned. At least with Smallioz’s suggestions, it would’ve been given more of an allusion to the actual power that it represented instead of being another pointless Night Elf sob story that is STILL somehow going on it’s THIRD expansion.

Even if Tyrande didn’t outright kill Sylvanas, at least overpowering her enough to drag her to the Maw as was the overall conclusion anyway would’ve given it some sort of purpose or point? The whole narrative was being set-up for the Night Warrior to have some significant purpose in stopping Sylvanas or ‘saving Ardenweald’ and it barely did either.

TLDR; I ain’t mad, just disappointed.

2 Likes

The night elves shouldn’t have gotten any new story after Legion. They are the most spoiled race in terms of being bombarded with new lore every few patches. Enough is enough. Let other races shine who were ignored since Cataclysm.

2 Likes

Aren’t you an EU player? Go back to the EU forums.

I am everywhere where there is new lore to talk about.

1 Like

She could have just straight up died and the Val’kyr would have simply resurrected her. Then ~6 questlines later Helya resurrects all 9 rather then just 6 of the 9 for the boss fight.

2 Likes

Go back to Germania!

1 Like

No I will not. I will come to the USA and maybe live there even.