Illidan's story vs Sylvanas' story

I could’ve sworn smallioz was an EU player, too.

Skarm, Zarrin, I really enjoyed those responses, you have both earned a like for those. I would really enjoy it, if those aspects were actually in the game too. That was memorable.

The difference here is the coherence of the story.

We understand illidan. He’s not a mystery. We know what he’s about and he’s an interesting foil to a lot of other less competent characters.

Sylvanas’ story very obviously had to be rewritten multiple times over. The man who made BFA and the beginning of shadowlands left the company. This man very much did not understand or like warcraft 3 sylvanas, and wanted to make her irrideemable and ignore all of the nuances and strengths of the character.

Sylvanas is more like an undead napoleon who carved out an empire to take down the menace of arthas and the humans who would annhilate all undead.

Afraisabi depicted her more like this strange and evil deceiver who hated everybody and everything to do some machiavellian galaxy brain cosmic ploy.

The writers who were left to pick up the pieces went not for a redemption arc but a “serve your penance” arc, likely so she can be used for later with writers who don’t inherently hate her guts.

Something that always WAS canon but gets forgotten about banshees though is frostmourne shatters the souls of elves. So sylvanas getting parts of her soul back isn’t as thoughtless as people made it out to be. That part was always there.

4 Likes

If I’m being honest Illidan isn’t any better of a character than Sylvanas. As already mentioned the guy’s entire personality has been retconned like 3 times now just to force him into being some sort of misunderstood hero when that’s never what he was.

They both became terribly written characters that just relied on good will nostalgia from their WC3 incarnations.

1 Like

Was illidan a character before wc3? (If not I consider his wc3 version the most accurate version of who he is.)