If WoW is P2W, why am I paying $15 a month?

Ok that’s pretty great.

1 Like

2 Likes

WoW is not pay to win. This is factually just wrong.

Also, buying AOTC would cost way more than $100 in tokens lol. And buying AOTC doesn’t make you a winner. I’d say it does precisely the opposite.

1 Like

It’s also pay to lose
And pay to screw around in the Plains

1 Like

Some of these analogies are an amazing feat of mental gymnastics to prove one’s point

P2W in that scenario would be paying to skip the line to get your donuts first before the 1000 people in line before you. Or pay the store owner in advance to get them before the store opens. Other then that you are just buying donuts like everyone else.

Sticking with the stupid comparison, buying carries in WoW would be similar to finding someone already in good standing with the donut shop, they have gone to the store over and over and over again, and have earned a better place in line. Then you pay them to join their group to lick up their left overs.

1 Like

Pay to win exist’s in every MMO as long as there is RMT, and carrys for gold. Different is your not locked out of progression with out paying for some currency to upgrade gear, progress your talents, or move to the next raid tier ect, ect. So if you want to say WoW is pay to win, than that is already argueing semantics to begin with idiot. You said you have played pay to win games, you should clearly know the difference between what goes on in WoW and other MMO’s vs how Lost Ark works. Why are people so dumb anymore.

It’s a game forum, no need for name calling or acting like a bear.

There are a lot of different monetization schemes. “Pay to Win” is just one. There’s also “Pay for Convenience” and “Pay for Customization” and these are where Blizzard is operating.

Personally, I have no problem with the Game Token. It’s how I pay for my sub time. My grief is Blizzard making money making in game such a headache that I wonder if I’ll be able to continue playing going that route. But that’s a separate issue.

If you want to see a game that is pure and shamelessly “Pay to Win”, try Magic the Gathering. Wizards of the Coast has an even worse reputation than Blizzard, and it’s well earned. Not only do you have to buy the cards in regular magic, but there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to find anyone to play with. Nor is there any guarantee you’ll get the rare or mythic rare chase cards to build the deck you want.

Think that’s bad? That’s nothing. Try the online game M:tG Arena (which I’m playing in another window). You don’t even own the cards you’ve purchased because they’re purely virtual. New card sets every 3 months with hilariously awful power creep (to the point of last set’s cards being almost underpowered worthless garbage). WotC cares nothing for your wallet fatigue, they’re too busy whaling and printing money for papa Hasbro.

Oh, and their matchmaking, deck shuffler, and who-goes-first coin flip is all rigged to get you to go buy more cards. They’ve put in custom card backs and pets to shame F2P players, and have squelched communication in game so they can sell custom emotes.

show me anywhere in game where this time vs money amount applys

so basically semantics…

Just hit me…I remember watching a video about Diablo Immortal and there was some access you paid for and got multiple extremely rare gems, yet someone who doesn’t pay anything has a near 0% chance of seeing a single one of those gems. That’s pay to win. We all have access to everything and are all at the will of the RNG gods, regardless of how much real life money is put into the game

You don’t though.

You’re working for Blizz for sub-minimum wage.

Once a month this appears.
Except for high end Arena, Mythic Raid first and MDI, you can’t “win” in WoW.

Any idiot who spends real money for a shiny has not won anything. Throw them in high end Arena or a mythic raid and watch them fail spectacularly.

By your definition of P2W, WoW has always been P2W since Vanilla. Before tokens there were gold sellers. People bought gold for money and “won” whatever.

WoW is (and has always been by your definition of P2W) “pay to skip” or “pay I am too lazy” or “pay I am must have that SHINY or I am a loser. WWAAAHHHHH!!!”.

1 Like

This. There’s no winning WoW unless you’re World First, winning comps, or doing high end Arena. They’re just paying for 2 areas of the game to be completed during that Season of that Expansion

Billy gonna get a job or Billy can go live with friends.

1 Like

I don’t give a you know what if this game is p2w or not.

I feel like these p2w , go f2p threads are from people who don’t have the $$ to pay for it or simply would rather put that elsewhere [like I do since I pay with gold].

First off, I don’t care if someone buys a carry. Or whatever.

Second, are there real money things on cash store that give you a sizeable power increase so you can roflstomp content. If not, you aren’t playing a p2w game.

People so desperately want to call WoW a P2W game that they completely change the definition of “winning”.

Nothing new here, folks.

Fyi, Billy would need more than $100. Might be around $300+.

And what would you get for $300+? The achievement. Nope, you wont get BiS gear.

Why do we play a videogame? To have fun. Is paying $300 fun to you? Do you think you could do those endgame dungeons on your own after the buying of carry? People would kick you for not knowing how to play the game. Is that a win? Is it fun?

And if you did buy the carry and got the achievement, what are you going to do on the next season, on the season after next season, on the next Expansion? Are you gonna keep on buying every time? Is that a win? Is it fun?

So youre telling me, you play WoW as it is fun to you to pay $300+ every season on top of your $15 monthly sub.

Keep dreaming that it’s a Win. But to us, you are a loser.