If WoW is P2W, why am I paying $15 a month?

I have played F2P MMOs before, they are usually P2W because they have a cash shop with stuff in them that gives you power/utility/etc. basically they created problems in the game itself in order to monetize the solution in the store and it’s how they can afford to be F2P.

WoW does the exact same thing by selling tokens and allowing you to legally spend that RMT gold you just bought on any in-game gold service.

That 100 hours you spent on KSM? Billy with his mom’s credit card spend less than $100 in WoW Tokens and got it in less than a couple hours.

Every achievement, every mount, every last hour, minute and second you spend is wasted in WoW because someone far more wealthy than you can legally purchase gold and legally buy anything he wants.

This is P2W.

If your game is going to be this blatantly P2W, then why charge $15 a month for it?

This is worse than a F2P P2W game because not only are you paying $15 a month for a P2W game but you’re paying even more for expansion/basic xfer and char features on top of that.

10 Likes

To make it actually P2W, as your argument sets out… what did Billy get with money that you are locked out of getting in-game?

Pay for ease, yes. Pay to win… of course not.

14 Likes

It’s going to take more than little Billy spending a $100 in one day for tokens.

4 Likes

Now you’re just arguing semantics and trying to push the goal post.

If there are two people, one spending 100 hours on an activity and another spending $100 to accomplish the same results in less time then that activity is rendered useless. Why would you not just buy it every time?

8 Likes

You could pay with gold. Then you wouldn’t be paying with real money

1 Like

It’s 100% pay for ease…Billy can pay $100 to get an achievement, but still be trash when he goes to play the content on his own

You still have to rely on RNG to get decent gear for yourself

7 Likes

I didnt say you were wrong with this line of thinking. But to then call it P2W is where you are wrong. Your description isnt “winning” or anything of the sort. They are just paying to skip a line, get a piece of gear faster, get a rating faster than pugging, etc. Absolutely everything Billy gets with a Credit Card, you get with effort.

Thats not semantics, just basic understanding.

1 Like

Look how definitions get changed because people don’t want to admit the game is P2W.

And this makes your effort pointless is the point i’m making, P2W games rely on effort being longer grinds to keep you hooked while they can get get other people to spend and skip.

P2W is P2W, you can’t change the defintion.

Time is more valuable than money, and if my money can skip your 100 hrs then your efforts are invalidated.

5 Likes

I disagree. If you had fun working towards something, that’s the only thing that matters in a video game. Nobody is going to care about someone else’s achievements, they have their own to work towards. This would be the same if they wouldn’t if carries didn’t exist.

Because Blizzard themselves aren’t providing the winning aspect. They’re providing people the opportunity to buy gold…it’s the players that created the service

2 Likes

Now you have really put yourself in a position. Please show a source for your definition of pay-to-win?

3 Likes

Yeah but what fun can you have knowing someone did what you did in less time with no effort all because they had a real life advantage over you in terms of having excess income to spend on gold.

They’re literally selling the gold themselves and letting you buy w/e you want with it.

1 Like

This OP is inaccurate.

I have never been presented with contenet that required me to pay to win.

4 Likes

Unless you’re a billionaire, this mindset is going to make you hate life.

Okay let’s say it’s pay to win… now what?

Do you think that epiphany is suddenly going to make blizzard say, " You’re right. Let’s not charge them now"

No.

You have options and how you get into the game. gold or credit. You also have the option of walking away if you feel this is erroneous.

FTFY, I got sucked in too. He’s just making a tired argument he read in an earlier thread because he wants to up his post count.

Damn these stream-chat watchers… do they ever get an original thought?

1 Like

I mean you don’t need to be a billionaire to understand how valuable time is. Spending that many hours in a task that can be bought and done for less by your average every day player is what makes any effort you do in WoW no longer matter.

Who cares about any achievement when it can be bought.

1 Like

I got KSH by just pugging, so I could like spend that $100 on a new mouse or headset. KSM is +13’s. I can’t imagine paying real money for that.

why care about achievements in a video game to begin with?

If you want to talk about it becoming pointless… news flash they’re all pointless. video games do not matter or at least shouldn’t As much as they do.

They’re not going to make your life any more worthwhile or open any doors outside the game

2 Likes

I just rolled my eyes so hard I think they crit.

:fishing_pole_and_fish:

3 Likes