If some realms progressed

People with established accounts would always have an advantage over new accounts when an expansion came out so that’s not really a big deal.

For real, if i had been given those options all along, I would have maintained my sub continuously 2005 through now.

1 Like

I’d just rather not see the economy of newly established servers be crap right off the bat

Which is functionally no different than what happens when a server rolled over to a new expansion.

Now it would be nice if they released fresh servers for new expansions as well as servers with a copy option. Some people like you would want a completely fresh start some people liked being able to just move into the next expansion with their current character.

But we’re talking about a different game with different servers.

1 Like

Well this thread is about how theoretically blizzard could handle progression if they add other expansions.

Just converting vanilla servers would be kind of counter to the point of classic as would converting BC to Wrath etc… making new servers with a copy option fixes that. If you prefer a completely fresh realm with no copy that’s great shouldn’t be hard to add those either.

Getting a little ahead of ourselves here.

Maybe it won’t take long for hardcore content burners who, for some reason, want to rush through content, but vanilla has a good 4 years of content for casual/retail players to absorb as they cycle in and out during content droughts.

1 Like

You’re ignoring the part that when a server rolled over to a new expansion, a player could not progress his character into that expansion and at the same time keep that character at the previous expansions cap.

I’m not opposed to TBC servers being released and players being able to TRANSFER, NOT COPY characters from those classic servers to the TBC servers.

Copying characters is far too open to abuse, IMO. The option should be to TRANSFER character(s) to one of the TBC servers or start a new character on one of the TBC servers. That would also have the advantage of being in keeping with what happened when a server rolled over to a new expansion–keep your character as it is or progress that character into the new expansion content.

1 Like

The thing about a transfer would be the time investment put on your main.
If that is what ultimately will be decided upon an alt can be created to transfer that alt and keep the main on the Classic realm.
I think character copy can be successful (without abusing it) with limitations to the process of copying a character over.

Right except we’re not talking about what happened in vanilla. We’re talking about theoreticals for the future.

There’s no harm in a one time copy and is also very much in line with the idea of classic being a time capsule. I think some people would very much like to be able to compare their level 60 character to say a level 70 character.

When TBC was released, you did not have the option to take that main into TBC content and still have it sitting at 60 so you could continue at 60 in vanilla content, did you? It made no difference how much time you had invested in that character. You HAD to choose to keep that character as it was or progress that character into TBC.

Copy is FAR TOO open for abuse, IMO. Even if it were limited to one character copy per account, Johnny can still get his guild to temporarily give him all there gold and crafting resources, copy that character and then return all the gold and resources. That would not be possible if it were a transfer and not a copy.

IMO, players should have to make that same choice to progress their “main” from Classic into TBC or create that new alt for TBC content.

1 Like

The BC character copy will be in a fresh realm.
There will be no interactions between Classic characters and BC characters.
And if Blizzard would do add further limitations to the fresh realm, (no items gold only, take over your profession level with you) There is really no room for abuse there.

Do you really expect Blizzard to put in all the work of adding those restrictions to the transfer process, just so that Johnny can have his cake and eat it, too?

The problem is in BC you didn’t have any option to stay on a vanilla realm. Whether you choose to level to 70 or stay at 60 you were still on a BC realm so what happened then is irrelevant now.

And while there is potential for abuse there are always ways to prevent it.

It cant be too difficult to make that Copy system happen.
They could easily remove all items from bags and bank and copy the character over with gold, bags, and professions only.
It would probably be easier as it is less items to copy over with the character.

Should be simple enough to make it so gold/unbound boe items etc… actually transfer but other stuff doesn’t.

So, the transferred character would have no mounts, pets, alternate armor sets for other roles or PVP, etc?

1 Like

Its a suggestion to limitations right?
I mean all that stuff will be obsolete when you step foot into Zangarmarsh. As for mounts, sure those can be in the bank//bags.

/sarcasm on

Yeah, let Johnny copy all the gold that his guild has and all those high value BOE’s that he can sell on that TBC server, as well.

/sarcasm off

We all know all about your apparent agenda to sabotage classic by any means since you lost your battle to prevent it from even being made.

It seems that you only advocate those things that you think would be antithetical to vanilla or a truer classic experience.

In a nutshell, if it is something that you support then, in all likelihood, it cannot be good for classic.

Then they can’t simply “empty a players bags and bank”, can they? They would have to code to check each players bags and banks for specific items and allow only specific items to be copied, etc.

It would be far easier for Blizzard to prevent abuse by giving players the exact same choice they had when TBC was released–either keep your character as it is or progress that character into TBC content, no matter much time you have invested in that character.

1 Like