If Blizzard ever adds player housing

We already have housing in wow, though.

Blizzard gave it to us in the Warlords of Draenor expansion and it was called a garrison.

Those garrisons are still in the game and you can start one right now if you so desire

Ever Quest 1 & 2 did it and they never had the subscribers close to what World of Warcraft had. Their budget is far lower, and they pop out expansions with continents the size of Kalimdor / Eastern Kingdoms yearly.

Ever Quest 1 added it much later into the game with a zone in portal which I assume put you on a separate server dedicated to housing. And those zones you could put many different size houses and styles then decorate it as you see fit. Kind of like living in the suburbs and plots could be on a hill, or along a makeshift road. Housing accessories were bought from vendors.

Ever Quest 2 had it from the start, inns / room and later they added castles for guilds to use and you could put raid kill pieces or higher carpenters to make your household accessories. Cheap looking pieces could be bought from a vendor but if you wanted quality, you hired a carpenter.

3 Likes

I’m not losing my mind am I? Wasn’t this exact thread posted last week?

Edit: also no, no new professions. Just all current professions should make decos.

Edit: close! Very similar conversations. If anyone is interested, here’s the other thread!

1 Like

Please never do Garrisons again, it was the worst thing ever… the whole mission/follower board thing was just so annoying. I’ve never quit a game so fast because of that.

1 Like

i don’t want them to add it til they have a good team working on it.

They tried copying FFXIV’s crafting n follower dungeons, both of which WoW did not so well.

No, you’re not losing your mind. This seems to be a thing now that we will have multiple posts going about the same issue instead of combining them into one. Then you the person replying start to repeat what you said in the other post or forget which post what you had replied to and then you get confused.

1 Like

I expect many more of these threads in days and years to come. (Not exactly the boldest prediction, I know)

Sometimes I wonder what we’d have by now if more housing-seeking players had said “thank you, but here’s a wish list for the next iteration” in WoD, encouraging development of private spaces instead of “not housing! I hate it!”, causing the devs to abandon private spaces entirely.

Garrisons were never player housing to begin with and a lot of people did constructively explain to Blizz the differences and what was needed as real player housing, not a quest and profession hub.

But it really is a huge undertaking. I can assume all I want that their own in-house setup of buildings is similar to Old Republic’s… but it’s just that: assuming. It may not be that easy. Because that’s basically what Old Republic did: dumbed down their own in-house decorating system to give us Strongholds.

And the other problem is that I think they’re overcomplicating it, when they can go the more simple route of Old Republic and it’d still be fantastic.

2 Likes

I can’t believe people still don’t know Blizzard is a small multi-dollar indie company that has only been around for about 2 years.

2 Likes

Only if they find away for us to Pick anywhere in ALL ZONES where we get to build our house

Given that the result of your feedback was that all experimentation in private spaces came to an end, I’m not convinced it was as constructive as you think it was.

Sure thing. Whatever you say. It couldn’t possibly be that they didn’t want to spend the time and resources with such a big project or anything.

They can. They just don’t really want to.

Oh, hi again! I see you’re back to being a [REDACTED] on the forums.

No, we don’t. Garrisons aren’t player housing and you’re just blatantly wrong. Again.

Like you always are.

1 Like

The real question is…

would they do it like SWTOR, where every player would own the exact same property, and decorate it differently?

or like FFXIV, where it emulates the modern real-world housing market, and only the elites and super lucky will ever have a chance at owning one of a select few properties?

I made a new thread about it, for funsies.

1 Like

1 Like

Sure, but not without sacrificing something else.

That’s a sacrifice that’s probably worth it.

I’m okay with an expansion without raids if that’ll get us a robust player housing system.

1 Like

I’d like carpentry & taxidermy.

This is entirely the wrong approach. They should make something small to start with and build from it.