I still say no to a level squish in 9.0

meanwhile, the forum is flooded with posts saying people WANT to do menial tasks which do nothing other than increase played time.

go figure.

6 Likes

There are more people on faerlina queue than playing everquest, which is a dead franchise, why take ideas from bad games? take the ones from good ones and improve them.

So whats the point of it? You still will have and underwhelming reward for each talent point, just make it a good reward, just squish it.

where are all these level squish posts coming from? has there been some sort of announcement or info leak that i’ve missed or something?

Short while ago actually, Blizzard did a survey announcing to random people in the survey that they were going to do a level squish next expansion.

1 Like

they did a survey announcing they were going to, or a survey to ask people how they felt about a potential level squish?

Nope, announced.

https://i.imgur.com/gU9PlHl.png

Original Thread where linked is from

EDIT: There was also talks about a potential level squish in one of the Q&A videos as well.

1 Like

that’s so obviously fake it hurts. i’m not saying there won’t be a level squish, but blizzard doesn’t just put that popup there to ask you if you know something they haven’t announced yet.

i can say with near certainty there won’t be a level squish during BFA. i can also say with near certainty that eventually there will be one, if not the 9.0 expansion then definitely for 10.0 or 11.0. there are arguments for and against doing one, but the likelihood of them pulling the trigger on it will increase with every expansion until eventually they just have to.

1 Like

I still say yes.

1 Like

That isn’t how it works.
Leveling and progression as a whole are being looked over and reworked.
It isn’t just a level squish.
As it stands; leveling is bloated, lacks meaningful progression, and the path it is on is unsustainable. Can’t keep adding levels with every expansion.

Your work is still recognized - it not taking away achievements.
They are working to make leveling a fulfilling experience

To Re-iterate: They are not just cutting down the number - they are reworking how progression works in the game

2 Likes

that will fall on deaf ears no matter how well you word it or phrase it or explain it. a large chunk of the players will see it as taking away something they’ve earned, and not for the shifting of numbers that it is.

for myself i think a squish to level 60 for BFA ending is appropriate. every expansion they’ve tried to adjust it so that it takes the same average time to go from character creation to the level cap, whether that level cap was 70, 80, 85, etc. but the power creep was getting out of hand because the difference between the power of a level 70 over a level 60 was as great as a level 60 over a level 1. they tried to not make the creep so extreme with cataclysm, but that really didn’t work. people screamed about only getting “5” levels in that expansion, if you remember.

it doesn’t matter though, a level squish will happen eventually, and there’ll be much screaming about it because most people will only see that they had a big number, and it got taken away and replaced with a smaller one.

5 Likes

I personally haven’t seen those complaints on my server.

1 Like

It’s very early but I’m predicting now Classic is gonna knock Retail to the basement so hard the level squish isn’t going to matter anyways because noone’s going to be playing that game until they fix it to make it more like Classic and presumably BC when they release that

I don’t like the premise of a level squish. I think they could expend the effort to make the leveling process better and less disjointed in a lasting way, because getting to 120 is really not an overly long or difficult process, it just looks that way, and there’s really no cohesion in what you’re doing while you level up.

They made it better by making the world scale, so you can finish whatever zone you’re into before moving on, but there’s more they could do.

3 Likes

Well, it makes a lot of sense considering that everything already scales. When I’m hitting a mob the same amount of times at level 110 as I am at 120, leveling is absolutely pointless. It’s honestly a waste of time. You level to get stronger. You don’t level to have everything grow with you.

7 Likes

I feel the exact same way as the OP.

I’d be fine if they didn’t expand levels again, and offered some sort of alternative advancement system, but cutting off levels, just to re-earn them is a bad idea.

4 Likes

It sounds like you missed the point of the stat squish. They did it to alleviate processing time because of the sheer size of the numbers the system was trying to crunch. While it feels good to do a couple million points of damage, it’s not easy for a 15 year old engine to do every time several hundred thousand or a couple million players engage something. The same goes for player level, removing even a single place value can be helpful on the system at large. It has nothing to do with progression.

2 Likes

I say who gives a flying frick what you think

2 Likes

And people would complain about the time sink required for each level. I guess each new expansion would be 4 or 5 new levels, one level per zone.

Yeah, we don’t need a level “squish” what we need is leveling removed entirely.

Levels are superfluous at this point

They don’t do mean anything anymore other than to be another layer of time gating now that progression comes from ilvl and farming the next AP/Azerite/Essence system they have planned next.

1 Like