I sided with Sylvanas out of spite

Are you against villains dying?

3 Likes

I sided with her because I hated the other guys more.

10 Likes

Yeah–I’m mystified about why they think this is a good idea, frankly.

… Oh right, that’s probably it. Everybody wants to shock the audience with BOLD AND SURPRISING TWISTS ever since GoT became a thing. Unfortunately, not everybody has the chops to pull it off.

That’s part of the contrived storyline Vozul was mentioning.

13 Likes

I’m against bad writing and silly retcons to turn characters into villains when they weren’t before.

10 Likes

Someone that may or may not be me on July 31, 2018 (the old forum got nuked so it looks weird now):

WoW’s Game Director on August 10, 2018:

15 Likes

What a lot of people don’t realize about GoT, Red wedding included, there was a lot of build up and foreshadowing to it happening. The books don’t just have things happen, for the sake of happening or for “Shock.”

The redding is one of those things that can catch you off guard, but then you go back and think about it and realize, yeah it was foreshadowed quite well. This is true of not just GoT but really any “Twist,” foreshadowing exists for a reason, build up exists for a reason. Too quote GRRM himself “I could have aliens come down, no one would see it coming, no ones predicting that, but it ruins the series.”

This part as well is super relevant. https://youtu.be/VyanTVqlJ2o?t=91

12 Likes

Oh yeah I absolutely love ASoIaF. I think GRRM does a great job with intricately setting things up in them and I don’t think the Red Wedding in the novels was just for shock . I just really dislike the GoT show. Now that I think about it, I wonder if that post would have been better received if it was after the last season instead of before.

The WoW story following Cataclysm is two men with two different opinions of the characters fighting over who gets to kill which characters. The only thing that suffers is the story for being fought over.

“Sylvanas is the evil one, all shady! My Garrosh will put her in her place!”

“No, Garrosh is the racist and evil, Sylvanas doesn’t even like him!”

“You killed my Garrosh? Fine! Now Sylvanas is SUPER SUPER DUPER THE WORST EVIL EVER.”

Almost like how Rian J. and JJ. Abrams had two vastly different views on how Star Wars should go, and the story suffered for it immensely.

“Snoke corrupted Ben Solo and turned him, there’s reasons that I’ll–”

“Nope, Snoke is stupid so I had him killed.”

“–Well, doesn’t matter, cause Palpatine was behind it all. Also, nothing that happened in your version mattered. None of it.”

I need a drink.

20 Likes

Characters being to special to die is dumb

2 Likes

This only makes sense if you cherry pick and ignore all of sylvana’s build up, which i guess most people do anyways so yeah.

sucks that happened with garrosh, but good thing it hasnt happened since.

1 Like

Sylvanas used to be one of my favorite characters.

I like how Warcraft took usual villain fodder races and made them full cultures with some heroic and some sympathetic angles. While Thrall was a complete inversion as an entirely good orc, Sylvanas was a rather typical villain-type character - who was just helpful enough, just necessary enough, and had just enough flickers of what might or might not be empathy, that she could be considered one of the good guys. She was always just one hair away from being full evil - and that’s what made her interesting.

So making her swan dive into villainy, to the point of retconning even the few moments that couldn’t tie into a villain arc, feels like a really shallow end for what had been an interesting complex character.

18 Likes

If you’re Horde, sure.

Retconing, or maybe she just stepped into evil, like you know she always was one hair away as you said.

I’ve been dead inside since Cataclysm.

2 Likes

Then you’ll have no problem becoming a dark ranger :v)

1 Like

Yes. In many cases.

I see WoW as closer to professional wrestling or comic book storylines. Superman doesn’t straight-up kill Lex Luthor not because Superman is morally against it, that’s the in-universe justification. The meta justification is that Lex Luthor is just as much an icon as superman. Azshara is just as much an icon as many good guys in WoW. Haven’t you seen all the player complaints that now that we’ve utterly crushed so many threats (Scarlet Crusade, Ragnaros, Twilight’s Hammer, Black Dragonflight, Burning Legion, etc. etc. etc.) Blizzard is having to come up with new villains left and right that don’t feel threatening nor recognizable? We’re destroying faster than we’re establishing at this point.

I’m fine with villain deaths if they suit the story which was being told. Arthas’s death ended a story that was years in the making, he got a send-off, everything made sense and he’s fondly remembered as one of the best villains that Warcraft has ever seen.

Meanwhile, Sylvanas’s current story does not feel like it was years in the making. Her descent to villainy could have been done without the Jailer asspull, or at the cost of Teldrassil, Saurfang, and the years of player infighting. Her story feels half-baked and contrived, and if she dies at the end of this, I’m gonna be just as mad as I was with Garrosh.

This too.

19 Likes

I think this sums up many of my complaints.

Garrosh being a racist power hungry brat had an arc and a build up. Arthas had his own arc, as well. We followed the arcs and felt their effects.

Sylvanas… her deeds were shrouded in possible motives, some being good, some being bad. But it turns out her major motive du jour? Some guy we never heard of before…

Might as well replace “the jailor” with “a space whale made of popcorn” for all the build up he has had. And now he is the driving force behind all of Sylvanas’s schemes since Cata?

Awesome…

8 Likes

The jailer is actually just a pawn for sylvanas, if you guys listened to Ion at blizzcon.

Which is you know, stupid and nonsense. Turning literally god into a bumpkin is retarded.

1 Like

He isnt god he is the jailer, and you are assuming she wins, just cause sylvanas’s ego is big enough for her to think she is above and smarter than the jailer doesnt mean she wins or beats him in the end.