I Now Understand Sylvanas' Reaction

If you haven’t killed Denathrius, don’t continue. Spoiler.

I unfortunately need to eat my words in regards to the Sylvanas and her reactions. I’ve made a few comments in the forums about how Sylvanas appears to feel about what she is doing in regards to Anduin, such as…

and even my own thread in regards to what I saw in the Torghast scene.

And now I need to walk ALL of this back. Why? I just watched the final scene in Tourghast after killing Denathrius and now everything makes sense. That’s what I get for commenting without knowing everything.

Sylvanas has no regrets about what she’s done, not one. What she is hesitating about is making Anduin a slave, the way she was! In what she’s doing she is seeing herself in Anduin and herself as Arthas. It clicked when Anduin said that her hesitation is about the a spark of the Ranger General still being alive in her, causing doubt and trying to hold onto hope and that makes complete sense. She has become exactly what she hated most.

Let not forget exactly what Arthas did. Not only did her turn her into the Banshee but her forced her to watch as he killed her people and made her kill them as well. Her cries over Anasterian’s death killed a bunch of people in the area. He did this to further his own ends, and now she’s doing the same thing to him.

So what about Sira, and Delaryn? They don’t count in this particular situation. Why? Because even though she forcibly raised them and others into undeath, she didn’t strip them of their free will, she didn’t need to. She had already done to them what she was hoping to do to Anduin, kill their idea of hope. Once dead she knew they were going to the Maw and knew what that would do to them, so her offer of new “life” or torment in the Maw was an easy choice. Yes, she did help to engineer their suffering so that they would only have one real choice, but in her mind, and in actuality, they did in fact have a choice, which is what was stripped from her. There is still a consistency issue concerning Derek. We don’t know how she would have eventually reacted and I’m guessing they didn’t think that one through before doing it. Wasn’t he burned alive anyway?

This isn’t even the first time that the Ranger General has shown herself. She felt real emotion when Veressa went to her during the trial and real pain when Veressa abandoned her. Which is why she refused to open up to either sister in the comic.

I get it now. I don’t agree with it and I still hate what she did to Teldrassil, but now I’m conflicted. As I Night Elf fan I should hate her entirely but as someone who loves a good complex villain, so I cant bring my self to really despise her. It’s kind of what drew me to her in the first place. That coldness and the ability to make a harsh decision that you may not like and stick with it, because you cant go back and the only way out is through.

I don’t think she should be redeemed, she’s gone way to far and will go further to win. I could however see her doing something redeeming in the end. That said I think she should die and her end should be final and Tyrande should be the one to do. If and when they do kill her, (sorry fellow NE fans) I can’t say that I’ll be completely happy.

11 Likes

I hate her, but also see that she is a good villian.

5 Likes

I understand that she needs somekind of punishment, but killing her is a mistake they wont do that, She needs to be a “new” jailer and keep the maw after we kill the jailer

3 Likes

Of course i wouldnt be happy neither, where is the torture? where is the retribution? nah screw that lets just make her die redeemed a la darth vader.

Which would be narratively dissapointing since we’re owed catharsis since this entire debacle started.

2 Likes

This is kind of what I suspect and although I also don’t want a redemption arc, I think it’s the best case scenario if she does get one.

I almost anticipate her becoming what Illidan is to Sargeras for Arthas/The Maw and basically becoming a shoe-in for the Jailer.

To the OP: I definitely agree that this situation with Anduin is different from Delaryn/Sira, tbh I think for Delaryn it was her twisted way of sparing her from the torture of the Maw because Delaryn reminded her of herself. So in her viewpoint (albeit really twisted viewpoint) she was doing Delaryn a favor.

Anduin is literally just becoming a controlled puppet, which is EXACTLY what Sylvanas was after she fell in Quel’thalas, so it hits a bit differently for her.

4 Likes

Is that why she made every single new forsaken she rezzed into her slave?

And was trying to enslave the Val’kyr? Gimme a break.

2 Likes

This is how I see Maiev.

1 Like

Who is “we”?

Why does your catharsis come before an end that satisfies someone who’s been a fan of hers for far longer than you’ve probably hated her?

13 Likes

Because we don’t matter, obviously.

It’s a silly take.

1 Like

I dont like you presuming of my position in this story, why should i take your post seriously when you have such abrasive tone?

I still don’t get it considering that she didn’t even have to kill Anduin or forcibly raise him into undeath.

Just a little good old fashioned MC

I would like to accept that but it doesn’t feel like it’s enough. Tyrande ways her dead and understandably so. Maybe if she is killed and forever bound to the Maw like the Jailor is but not the realms ruler.

Well nothing short of a snuff film will do imo, at this point the narrative has been dragged for too long anything they throw at us will be stale so i would suggest you to curb your expectations.

1 Like

Nah Its because Anduin has superpowers that make everyone either agree with him or feel sorry for him when things don’t go his way. Its called writer bias.

3 Likes

Or just stop playing a game with a brainless narrative.
At this point it’s just self-inflicted punishment, like staying in a toxic relationship.

2 Likes

Exactly. I think that we forget that sometimes. Arthas’ actions still have an affect on her. So to see herself doing that to someone else is pretty messed up for her. But like she said, she’s gone to far too falter now.

1 Like

Who’s we? NEs are the only ones that are really owed anything. And nobody wants them to be happy anyway.

4 Likes

We are owed but I’ve pretty much given up on the idea that we will be completely happy.

3 Likes

At this point I just hope that they won’t completely justify everything Sylvanas did and at the same time portray Tyrande as wrong for freeing her people from the maw and trying to bring Sylvanas to justice

5 Likes

I can’t fearfully respect someone who suddenly has the mental stability of a gothic teenage girl having an identity crisis, when she has already gone over the line by mindlessly slaughtering the Night Elf population in a treehouse barbeque.

9 Likes