I Now Understand Sylvanas' Reaction

That’s a fair point. The burning did look haphazard. It should have been her goal from that start. Turning on a knife’s edge like that was really stupid.

2 Likes

Well, to be fair I think that if she had told Saurfang that her intention was to burn the tree from the get go he probably would have said no. So I understand why she mislead him.

It’s not so much stupid as manipulation of the Horde’s nature, which again, lends weight to Tyrande’s accusation of it wasn’t just Sylvanas responsible. If Sylvanas was able to manipulate the Horde’s bloodlust into a weapon than we have to acknowledge that the Horde isn’t fundamentally good.

5 Likes

I think it was always going to burn. The Horde couldn’t hold that tree long term, or even short term. When it was eventually reclaimed she would have burned it so that the Alliance couldn’t take it back. It’s also a writing issue. Sylvanas knew she needed to funnel souls until the Maw and just holding the tree and the WoT wasn’t enough. Lying to Saurfang is one thing but they lied to us as well, so from our view point is looks as though she made a quick and drastic response to what Delaryn said to her, if that makes any sense.

I agree. She didn’t have to work very hard to manipulate that blood lust. It was always there, ready to show itself. Tyrande isn’t wrong.

1 Like

So far she has been paralleling Arthas’. path to a T. in that case, her fate is already fairly obvious.

1 Like

But arthas is popular they’d never kill him

1 Like

The thing is, they have set up through Arthas and Garrosh, that one can always choose to change. I was listening to the Thrall panel at Blizzconline posted and they really made the point that anyone who changes is still eligible for redemption so if Sylvanas chooses to betray the Jailer and help the heroes, she’s eligible for redemption.

It certainly seems like they are setting her up for a critical change in perspective and that may lead to her redemption.

There are added layers we are not even considering, like Old God corruption.

I don’t disagree that this could happen, but I personally really don’t see her making that change in perspective unless she comes to the conclusion that her overall goal is wrong or will fail, and thus that she has been wrong all this time and that every atrocity she’s committed has been for nothing. I also really don’t think she’ll come to that conclusion unless she feels that the Jailer has betrayed her, because right now she’s using a sunk cost fallacy to rationalize her choices. She may feel personally conflicted about Anduin’s fate, but as long as she thinks her actions will further her ultimate goal she’s not going to change course: “I’ve not come this far to falter now.”

Anduin was doing his part to plant doubts in her mind, although I think (at least initially) not so much because he thought he could sway her as much as to keep himself from being swayed by her. “Look around you, at what and who you’ve joined! What makes you think you’re not just a weapon to achieve his ends?” After that conversation she asks the Jailer about retrieving Denathrius and the Jailer brushes it off as not worth worrying about, but her expression indicates that she’s not entirely sure she agrees. During her last conversation with Anduin, when he picks up on why she’s making such a big deal about offering him a choice, he’s pointing out that her very insistence on presenting that choice shows that she’s not quite as fully committed to her stated belief that the universe is false and hopeless and therefore needs to be destroyed and rebuilt as she claims to be. If she were truly doubtless and unwavering in her belief and goals, she wouldn’t care about whether Anduin chose his fate or not, because within the logic she’s been arguing it wouldn’t matter. This explains his words and actions at the end of that cinematic, with his arms spread open and his chest presented to her: pick a side and commit, stop trying to have it both ways. She picked her side, we’ll see if she lives to regret it. Kil’jaeden expressed regret and broadly explained his motivations in his death throes, and that allowed some personal resolution between him and Velen, but that didn’t redeem him or justify him, or stop us from killing him. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sylvanas follows a similar path.

2 Likes

I really don’t care at this point what was that supposed to mean.
If she realized that she made mistake, if she felt guilt, if she felt resentment, if she remembered something like leaving oven running, or smelled a fart.

Whatever they will do I no longer care. I just wish we were done with her in this expansion. Her story was dragged for way too long and and I am willing to bet there won’t be any satisfacionary way to end it.

1 Like

i vote we focus our efforts in rescuing worthwile people like ben howell and beating up idiots like that guy that stole denathrius vault before we did.