I miss Garrisons. Anyone else?

…Star TREK Online, NOT Star Wars. You really should understand at least the name of the franchise you are talking about first, before criticizing it. STO added Steam as an optional launch point IN ADDITION to its normal proprietary launcher (2010, and then still even after being bought out), so your numbers will not be accurate.

Interesting you say you have no idea what TREK did when I went through it… after I detailed it in the post. Very odd thing to admit, so I wonder why bother if you aren’t reading the source? Oh well.

Thank you for your opinion on one subset of players. That is not all of them. Let me give YOU a clue: a lot of us love housing, decorations, and building a home. A lot of us have spent huge sums of money on decorating/boost/etc housing/guild halls/dojos/hideouts/etc in many other games, and really want to immortalize our memories in this game as well with all that money sitting and waiting for a worthy use. You clearly do not. That’s fine. Like I already said: can’t please everyone.

And like I said: Blizzard should ignore the whiners and complainers about housing. They won’t get them money. Housing/Guild Halls will, if done correctly.

I seriously doubt it, not a detailed years long examination of competitors and how they grow/change over time. It’s been 20 years. You think they send people to research every year, spending hundreds of hours to understand their system? HA! No. That’s what I’m talking about, and the point of why I went through the growing pains and best uses of the other games I’ve played for years. Blizzard can do it better now with all those years of watching others experience this topic.

That should have been obvious to anyone really thinking about it: introduce new crafting recipes for all professions, from all eras to find ways to contribute. This would get people into all those old areas again, and stimulate the market by bringing dead and useless materials back into the spotlight. Elder Scrolls Online does this in a way far more detailed than WoW needs to do, but yes-they can go research what I’m talking about, as I explained. Yeah, I know it’ll take time. All good things do. Whatever.

Impossible? …that’s why I cited all those other games who DO make it non-specific to expansions >< Geeze. They do it well, and you clearly don’t know what I’m talking about.

Wrong, but thank you for your opinion.

That’s your opinion, again, so yeah-thanks for that. Blizzard already does timer speedups with Diablo IV: you can buy your way to higher levels with the pass. Woopsie, I guess D IV is dead? No, its not. I’d be curious to know how many people have purchased that specific level of pass upgrade.

Edit: oh… uh, Blizzard does this for WoW too: character boosts. Yeah. You forgot about that too, right? lol

And no, bypassing wait times is the model foundation of facebook/mobile game platforms, and how they stay alive. Kixeye specifically, since I’ve played those as well for a good decade or so, with Battle Pirates, Vega Conflict, and that Commander one they have: all based on daring you to spend a little money to speed things up. Yes, it takes advantage of competitive natures-Blizzard does it too in other ways.

So no, I think you are very wrong. Especially so since this isn’t a forced progression thing, but an optional boost. That’s something that needs to be considered on how to successfully approach… by looking at other companies and how well they’ve done. You know, work.

What a strange thing to say… WoW isn’t a game I listed because they don’t have housing… which… uh… you know, is the whole point of the post!? Seriously… why state something so silly and obvious? Sheesh.

Again, that is your opinion. Obviously, you do not speak for all of us, never have, never will. Those are your opinions, and these are mine.

And again, Blizzard won’t make any additional money off of NOT doing anything. They will make money with a good housing/guild system with the integrations I spoke of in detail, and with honest research on the topic.

They are. Lots of people keep leaving WoW for various reasons, some of those reasons being they tire of the impersonal grind. Lots of us come back after breaks because of the story, like me-several times over. But we again tire of the pointless gear grind and couldn’t care less about being a hampster on the mythic grind over the same things, over and over and over again for a few points on gear that you’ll just throw away for greens in the next expansion.

VERY FEW people have continued with WoW this entire time. How many of those lifer statues did they make? I’m curious.

That’s the point: if your focus is the gear you get to throw away every expansion, that’s fine. Lots of us are not satisfied with that.

Oh come on-every MMO is ‘unique’ with its own good and bad. That’s why I made the post I did with the detail it has. Imagine working on a weakness? Imagine turning that weakness into another strength? Amazing, right? That’s the whole point of this. lol

1 Like

It’s either a new city or grrisons for Xpacs it appears. Having both doesnt make much sense

I like that idea :slight_smile: Especially with all they did with the Bronze Flight and their time manipulation, it would be EASY to work that in to keep it evergreen, as you said! Chromie would probably love to help us out there hehe

1 Like

I still think Garrisons/a small town is how “player housing” should work in WoW.
Harkening back to the RTS with building a settlement was a good move. The bad thing in WOD was linking all the gathering inside and the limitation where it could be placed only in one spot. Having to make a choice on what buildings you wanted for what reason was good.

Add this is a world revamp type expansion, give a bunch of options where it can be located, more choices in structures that can be used from whicherver faction you are in, don’t include mines, fishing etc, shard or instance it so you don’t see everyone else’s unless grouped to do so to keep the clutter out of the world. I think this would work again.

2 Likes

That’s something that I miss from EQ that I think would work well here.

With permissions you could decorate, add training dummies, roaming pets, etc. It also had a portal room to go to a number of zones, and it was a convenient meeting place prior to raids or just to form groups.

It really added a nice touch to go with their player housing, too.

1 Like

I liked them for the most part. The problem with them though was you never had to leave. It even gave you mythic gear.

Really the only thing I miss about garrisons were the followers. Felt pretty cool recruiting them, seeing them around the place, leveling up their gear, and seeing them file out when sent on missions. Everything else was sort of a lame version of housing other games were doing much better.

2 Likes

I make one on every toon that I level up ever. They are kinda cool.

2 Likes

All the doors in the horde garrison buildings needed cloth covers. Large open doors in a windy tundra you’re wasting so much heat.

1 Like

One of the things I really miss is the random vendors or rare spawns. If you got one that others needed you could put it up in group finder and suddenly your garrison would fill up with people, it was really fun.

Blizz should have continuously updated garrisons with each new xpac. Probably would have required minimal effort.

2 Likes

My apologies then. An even smaller game. With roughly 800 daily players. And is by the company that manages Neverwinter. One of the games on the list of “Worst MMO games ever” because of its business model and how it killed its own playerbase.

I have to apologise that I thought you were supposed to be in favour of the point you were trying to make. Not actually provide more evidence towards what I have been saying for years. But you are right, I got the names mixed up and I apologise for that.

It isn’t really that odd. I didn’t read it.
Nothing of what you have said so far indicates you are arguing in good faith and you have parroted every single tired talking point that boils down to “I want player housing because it is a novelty, and it works in other games”. So no, I have read enough posts from people to not take it that seriously. Call it what you want, but it ain’t odd - if you repeat the same thing that is said every single time by every single both serious and trolling forum poster, digging up this old horse … I’m not going to bother.

If you have these memories that are so finely tied to these houses, why do you keep coming back to WoW in that case? I agree that plenty of absolutely amazing and stellar achievements make for wonderful decorations, and I have many memories of them. But I don’t remember a single one of the players from those games, except one but that’s slightly cheating as that’s referring to my partner whenever we try out other games.

Here’s the problem that I always bring up: what is player housing supposed to be if it isn’t the garrison? Here folks are praising the Garrison and I definitely get that, it is a wonderfully thematic and atmospheric place and you have a hearthstone to go back to it whenever one wants to. And I have said that they’ll continue to make use of what worked and discard what didn’t; Garrisons failed because they felt isolated, Class Order Halls were as close to universally praised as one can get, and Covenants were loved … if you could pick your favourite one. Otherwise they felt forced and exclusionary to what you actually wanted.

Blizzard is going to reiterate on that again, like they have done before. Which is something I agree with others could develop into Guild Halls. But personal housing is unlikely to ever come back to WoW as the Garrison showcased that it isn’t what the general playerbase wants.

Yes. Because it would be stupid to assume that Blizzard employees can’t read the news.

And again, WoW isn’t ESO. Elder Scrolls Online was built with this from the grounds up, it plays like a singleplayer game, and housing is part of the RPG experience with professions built from the ground up to function in tandem with it.

WoW isn’t ESO, so simply saying “another game can do it” isn’t an argument. Especially when WoW’s popularity is based on that it isn’t like other modern MMOs … because it isn’t a modern MMO.

And again, your only argument is “look at other games built from the grounds up with this in mind”. This isn’t an argument. The reason it would essentially have to be an expansion specific feature is that you’d have to connect it to the overall world map to make it work with other expansions, or make it an evergreen system. But due to how the Garrison was received, it being an evergreen system is unlikely and in order to make it a useful and used feature it would have to be on par with that of a class order hall. Which was an expansion specific feature. One that was continuously built upon, like the good aspects of the Garrison.

I don’t know exactly what they’d have to do to make it work in the first place, as it also would’ve to work with people who aren’t in guilds. Otherwise it wouldn’t be a feature that gets used and we are back at square one.

Not really an opinion as much as 20+ years of documented games proving it. Including some games that are connected to the ones you have mentioned.

But this ain’t going anywhere. All you are doing is proving that yet again, folks don’t want player housing. “It is just your opinion”; mate, you have no idea what I want so drop the pretense about ‘it is your opinion’. You have no idea what my opinion is but you just want to argue in bad faith because you love the novelty of player housing without seeing the legitimate problems to overcome if one wants it in WoW.

Have a good day.

Obviously :slight_smile: I’ll return the favor.

Very much so! I loved that in Garrisons, Legion, and Shadowlands. It was awesome to have a choice of minion actually come with you in the zones, not just on missions. Great point!

I don’t. What they gave us was a mostly solo time trap. Would it be fun to have a home to go back to, yes. Would it be fun to personalize it, yes. I don’t think the amount of time spent there and the amount of things you “had” to do there was good for the expansion.

2 Likes

Don’t forget AH as well with the Level 2 Trading Post

No. I played garrisons at the expense of engaging content. They were just too easy,
Mainly talking about the followers. I still use my garrisons weekly, but not daily.

I loved garrisons. The only downside I remember was feeling kind of isolated sometimes being alone in your garrison. Overall it was an awesome concept though and I’d love it again.

1 Like

Yes it alwas such good solo content when i wasnt feeling like raiding or doing pvp. Lots of quality rewards for investing into them as well. I still level all of my alts through WoD and invest some time into the garrison on them as well.

2 Likes

I’m tired of looking at this thread.

Have a great day everybody.

I got my own account in wod (played on mates acconts sinces vanilla) so it has a special place in my heart.

I also liked building what i wantted and just hangging out looking at my own special place