I miss deterministic gearing. Bellular nails it

In Vanilla and early expansions, I have fond memories of combing through instance loot lists and determining a personal BiS list for my class/spec. I had a notepad where I would list all of the items and drop locations and slowly cross them off as I obtained them. The completion felt good, it let me set goals and achieve them.

Now, there are so many difficulty levels and layers of item upgrade RNG that I never do that anymore. I have whatever I can get but I never feel that completion. Because even the items I have could be better next drop, with Leech or a socket or now a corruption.

Bellular nails it in his new video above. The gearing systems are out of control. Blizz, you say player agency is a goal for Shadowlands. Please make that the case instead of the insanity (pun intended) that is 8.3 gearing.

248 Likes

And bring back runspeed enchants on boots!

113 Likes

I like RNG and we have deterministic gearing - those essences people complain about no RNG involved there. That legendary cloak grind - no RNG there.

Are you sure that is what people want? Deterministic gearing = grind.

19 Likes

Is this where we hiss in revulsion at Youtubers?

20 Likes

Not gonna watch the video, but I want gems and enchants to be more impactful on my gear again. At least make meta gems a thing again.

47 Likes

Yes.

There are way to many layers of rng in gearing atm.

54 Likes

If he nails it in the video, why did you type it all out? I mean you linked the video so why bother. If you didn’t link the video, then typing out what Bellular “nailed” would make sense.

5 Likes

Cloak isn’t deterministic gear when it does absolutely nothing without the multi-layered RNG Corruption system. You can have a max rank cloak, but it won’t help you out perform that Rank 3 Infinite stars someone else has.

34 Likes

Last I looked you get stats increases, that is the same as vp upgrades, regardless of any extras.

4 Likes

I typed out my personal experiences with how the gearing feels. Bellular as much more depth and insight into the overarching systems and design decisions that led us here.

24 Likes

Translation he did a good sales job as usual.

5 Likes

How is blasting Blizz for poor, conflicting gear design doing a good sales job?

33 Likes

RNG is fine until it can be the difference between 50k DPS and 100k DPS. RNG to that caliber is absolutely out of control. There should never be something that dramatically increases DPS that much to be hidden behind multiple layers of RNG. There is far too much of it right now.

Things I would like to see again:

-Baseline sockets
-Professions that can impact gear; not just enchanting, but lwing can enhance leather and Mail, blacksmithing can enhance plate, tailoring can enhance cloth
-Enchanting itself being more than just weapon and ring
-A way to grind gear so if RNG screws your over, you aren’t underperforming as dramatically as Corruption causes you to (in this patch’s case). But a way to grind up to the level and surprise gear upgrades is just that; a nice surprise.

RNG needs to take a chill pill right now. I despise this gear lottery we have.

44 Likes

The cloaks main purpose is to work with the corruption system, regardless of its own stats.

If the corruption system wasn’t there, the cloak wouldn’t be either.

And if your sitting here trying to tell me the corruption system isn’t rng then there’s something wrong with you.

Having loot not be rng is possible. 14 does it just fine, wow can too. It is possible.

16 Likes

I am not watching it. Every video I have watched of his, he provides false and misleading information and then convinces everyone his view of things is correct.

I don’t imagine he has done anything different in this one.

10 Likes

I never mentioned the corruption system.

1 Like

The cloak is a part of the corruption system. You cannot have one without the other.

10 Likes

Sure you can - you can cleanse all your corrupted gear.

6 Likes

And yet with the way stats work right now, they don’t matter as much as RNG corruption affixes or secondaries that are much more weighted. So again. You can’t target a piece of gear in the way you’re saying, because the way gear works right now doesn’t allow it. At best you can target ensured corruption pieces a few times every week, yet there’s no guarantee you’ll ever do as much damage as the random Fury warrior with 420 bracers that rolled Infinite Stars 3, regardless of essences, regardless of cloak rank.

5 Likes

I was talking straight about the legendary cloak and upgrading it. As far as I know there is no RNG involved in that whatsoever. You target the cloak by doing a questline. You target upgrades by doing the horrific visions. You target the keys to horrific visions by doing assaults and dailies.

3 Likes