I keep getting mixed answers about the viability of paladins at end game

Yeah, I was speaking more to raiding concerning that.

I was thinking you’d prob get into instances quickly as prot thanks to the AoE meta. Good to know :slight_smile:

You can find a guild that will let you raid as ret, but it’ll take longer. Path of least resistance is healing.

1 Like

As some have said above, Paladins get much better in tbc. If you don’t mind staying alliance, you can start leveling one now.

We are still VERY strong raid healers, so no real changes there.

Ret dps becomes viable. It’s still way below pure dps classes (yes, even for you blood elfs) but you bring utility that’s a boon for everyone else. Like keeping up seals judged by other Paladins (imagine being able to keep up light, wisdom, and crusader on the target by yourself) granting the entire raid 3% crit on a target (imp seal of the crusader talent) and granting your group 2% overall dps(imp sanctity aura talent). Most raids will be wanting 1 ret paladin. Not tolerating, but WANTING

And prot tanking is the most beautiful improvement. We get so much better tanking, even for raids. We get better mana management, a taunt, and alliance gets the best tanking seal with amazing tps. I’ve been binge watching videos of Paladins main tanking black temple, sunwell, hyjal, and all that. It’s beautiful.

2 Likes

Nah dude we have a paladin doing 600dps in blues in my guild, you just need to git Gud as you guys say

and common sense shows that its a game u pay to play so play how you want.everything is on clear and dps is OVERTUNED from wars, mages, and rogues purely based because 15 years ago the vast majority of players clicked, keyboard turned, and high speed was 1 meg down and 500k up.

#nochanges means no nerfs and then people that play overtuned classes think they can tell how to play.

What are your end game hopes?

A 94% parsing ret paladin has their dps almost doubled by a 25% parsing rogue.

You may wish to check out this person’s thread:

And some of the comments:

Will it be possible to play as a Ret Paladin in a Raiding guild? Probably.

Will you be anywhere near the damage levels of the other melee classes, Warriors and Rogue? No, not anywhere near.

You will have a very easy time finding a raid group as a Holy Paladin.

1 Like

False, a ret paladin who got gud does very respectable dps

That’s literally based on a 94% parse. Do you have any evidence to back up your blatant lie?

2 Likes

We had a ret paladin, even had a Nightfall and 8p t2. He got sick of not really helping that much and decided to go holy on his own.

My guildie literally did 600 dps on baron last Saturday… generally does 350-400…

All I care about my parses as warlock is that they are purple overall with the couple oranges in there

because this guy is a dad elitist on a alt posting on a spec he doesnt understand

I am not elitist. If you want to play Ret, and you have a great group of friends in your guild who you play with that supports that, and/or doesn’t min/max everything and doesn’t care, then that’s awesome! Good for you!

But, when people lie about Ret to people who are genuinely asking, because they don’t know if Ret is viable, then you can let them know that you will do incredibly poor damage compared to Rogues or Warriors who you may be competing for loot with.

If you are OK with that, go ahead and play Ret. Paladins are great classes, but their optimal role in a raid setting at the moment is as a healer.

Look, for context, here is a Ret paladin parsing 94% on Vaelestrasz: https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/reports/QCLZbgAmHGcRYFWd#fight=4&type=damage-done

That’s 94%. You can’t really do much better. Compare the dmg to the rogues and warriors. Also, feel free to look at any other fight and/or link any other parses that support the claim:

My point is, if you know what you’re getting yourself into, go for it. If you are hoping to raid as anything other than a dps-disabled spec, then you’re in for a shock.

4 Likes

Good info. Thanks. My Paladin is only 36, but the couple dungeon groups where he tried to tank didn’t do well. He does okay as ret, and of course he buffs and helps out with healing. But you confim my idea to not try tanking.

I don’t link parses cause I’m no tryhard.
I try low and still parse gud tho

Tanking instances as a paladin is like cheating! Try contrasting it with a warrior for reference.

Righteous Fury and consecration are excellent for AoE threat. How are you specc’ed at 36? I ran a bunch of ZF runs, healing a ret paladin who had never tanked before, was using Retribution Aura, and wielding a 2 hander. The only issues we had was that the lock would pull threat if going ham.

In raids, spamming Greater Blessing of Kings on the Warriors (because there will be a lot), for example, generates a lot of threat. The issues around tanking as a paladin are generally due to a lack of taunt, which would require threat coordination, and is more complicated than just having a warrior or druid taunt.

1 Like

Assuming you’re planning a 20/31/0 or 21/30/0 spec for end game, with a focus on healing raids, and being able to solo farm, at 36, if you are focused on tanking, you could be specc’ed something like this:

https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc/paladin/055001-0532003

Which would give you unparalleled AoE tanking capability at that level.

Until you remember that they use a shallow mana pool and expensive spells. There’s really no defending it. It’s legions better in TBC when they get mana from being healed, and even better in wrath when they get mana for being hit, but paladin tanking in vanilla is a pure meme.

1 Like

Sure, but if you use keybinds, downrank consecration, and use your Seals and Judgements appropriately, they are amazingly great instance tanks.

Try it! You will change your mind.

1 Like

100% fake news. The fakest of news.

Nope 100% true news