I have to agree...this game is no longer for the casual player

Yeah it’s weird.

People act like a new player just discovered video games before logging onto WoW.

1 Like

Hey Classic poster, raiding is the least serious thing in this game. You also have two extra letters in your name.

I guess a person that plays Classic would assume normal mode raiding is serious or that anyone cares about it.

And when the game, or the group formats you enjoy, die out a few years later because there aren’t enough people anymore due to devs and veterans scaring off too many of the new players so nobody replaced the folks that drifted away for various reasons?

My MAIN video games go like this (from today backwards):
WoW - since launch
EQ a couple of buttons other than /attack or /ranged if melee
Diablo 2
Diablo 1
HOMM - turn based Strat
WC1 WC2

Yeah while WoW doesnt have as many DPS buttons as FFXIV (I played a healer again to not have to deal with their rotations) it’s still too many

1 Like

Except that the power gap between casual players who are doing a 2-3 button rotation and players using all their skills and abilities and simming gear is enormous, like 4K vs 8K dps or more. Remember the interview when Bellular asked Ion why the power creep was so big in SL and Ion’s answer was the players with low DPS needed to “get gud?”

The game provides no feedback as to how to “get gud” without external tools. You can’t even use the target dummies without either a DPS meter addon or combat logging and parsing the data externally. There’s no agreement about what constitutes a “casual” but I know people who refuse to install add-ons for fear of computer viruses and don’t know how to capture and upload combat logs. If I do blast away on a target dummy and my numbers are way off my sim, what went wrong? It’s not easy to tell.

Even on something as simple as frost mage, which is a 5-button rotation with comet storm and orb, there are subtleties that substantially impact damage like shatter combos, and minimizing proc munching. I love that kind of detail, but I don’t think it’s casual-friendly.

The ZM campaign quest had some seriously annoying moments on my frost mage. Face tanking an elite in a cave with no room to kite was er… interesting. I had to bust out the bandages.

3 Likes

Tbh most pvpers wont even make it past a %20 win rate lol, so %48 isn’t bad matter a fact that’s a around where you should be.

1 Like

This. Even in Vanilla, this was true. Yes, we all had four-button rotations, but we had a much lower threshold for error and resource management required many small alterations and decisions. A truly good shadow priest and a new shadow priest were qualitatively different in their throughput, even in Vanilla. The skill gap was always noticeable.

I’m not saying it was hard. It wasn’t. It was easy…but mastering classes was always something that came with time and practice and muscle memory.

What’s changed is deeper than having more buttons. I don’t think that was ever a bad thing. It is the borrowed power and “systems” that everyone is always arguing over and complaining about. The borrowed power distrust is, in my opinion, the most valid and important of the common complaints about the direction the game has been going.

New & returning players who enter mid-expansion have multiple systems to juggle and optimize in order to hit bare minimum marks. It can be demoralizing and overwhelming. I don’t want to ever go back to 4-button rotations, but there have been several places with a happy medium, and at least the DF preview looks like they’ve learned this lesson and are trying to find that again.

1 Like

Plenty of time to figure out things on their own, right or wrong. Actually, it’s been scientifically demonstrated that bad habits you have struggled to learn are much harder to unlearn than those you had help learning right.

1 Like

I wish it was that simple for Shadow Priests.

Mathematically speaking, for every winner there is a loser. The average has to be 50%.

Why do current players so often speak for, and pretend to care about “new players” so much?

1 Like

Yeah so his insult was ignorant lol, the way he talks and from
What I’m hearing he’s just a boosted trying to make himself feel cool.

I’m going to assume you don’t do rated pvp if this was a burn to u.

Please stop sucking the worgen, his insult wasn’t a good one and he’s also boosted duelist on multiple toons. So him even trying to come for anyone in rated is an insult to himself. And %50 is pretty much where u want to be so %48 isn’t bad. Btw you can use check pvp website to easily tell someone’s character, Your toon is Bjorn and telrath and you’ve also never went past 1500 in pvp, oh wait you got 1600 but in rbgs which is face roll and anyone can do especially as 1600 itself is a joke to get even in arenas lol. And you’re hardstuck 1500 in arenas, you guys really should keep your mouths shut when you have no room to talk about anyone lol.

Are you another alt ?

Yeah that’s what I thought, stay hardstuck at 1500 bro.

1.) I don’t speak for new players, but I do speak of them on a fairly regular basis because…
2.) I actually care about new players. I care because…
3.) I’ve had brand new players or returning players in my guild, & their new-to-WoW experience is nothing like mine was.

When I was new to this game, we spent months leveling–months, plural. I started in 2005, so our guild had lots of experienced players who answered questions and helped us get keys and attunements, but the gameplay taught us to play our classes and how to gear ourselves far better than the current game does. That was, in part, because classes were much simpler then, but it’s also because Vanilla - Wrath didn’t really have borrowed power, and we didn’t start getting borrowed power on the level we see it today until legion introduced the artificacts.

Now, when a player joins up, they are faced with at least five currencies and multiple talent/ability systems to manage on top of regular gearing. That’s insanity.

I watched brand spanking new WoW players struggle during BfA when we had all those systems and currencies stacked one on top of the other. I was on discord with these people, taking them into their first dungeons, and answering their questions. That’s why I care…because I’m a person who actually likes my guildies as human beings and thinks this game is better when it’s inviting to a new player.

Cynicism and discernment have their place, but really…that’s some next-level misanthropy you’ve got goin’ on there, Wonkers.

2 Likes

Two examples out of thirty-six… I sense cherry-picking.

I’m going to assume you have a pretty bad win loss ratio too. Most people messaging me Snozh, Grincel seem to share getting angry because their ratings are quite bad too.

Shocker. Sorry, but making your profile private doesn’t stop your armory from being public.

Anyways I’m tired of getting messaged in this thread. Just gonna mute it.

Cya.

2 Likes

You’re either an alt or a good friend of theirs or something lol, no random stranger would get that upset on someone else’s behalf