I have to agree...this game is no longer for the casual player

I’m casually bad, but I know enough of my rotation to be passable.

It takes time to learn a spec and longer to master it. This isn’t ESO and 5 buttons

:ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon:

Actually I didn’t. No one takes twos seriously. My hunter isn’t even my pvp toon.

On top of that the person who made the comment is a boosted duelist.

Imagine being so clueless you think Grincel is my alt.

1 Like

As far as rotations go, I think it’s possible to make those who want simpler rotations happy, while also making those who want rotations even more complex than we have now happy, especially in light of the talent revamp.

Imagine this, without factoring in talents, you have an incredibly simple rotation baseline. Like vanilla Frost Mage simple. So simple it can hardly be called a “rotation”.

Now adding talents to the mix, you have choices in the trees that can either keep the rotation relatively simple (mostly passives making your rotation only slightly more complex than vanilla Frost Mage), or incredibly complex, with the talents balanced so that, while more complex setups will have higher potential output if you can master them, the simpler rotations are still within 5-10% of that.

I’m not saying it would be easy to pull off, but it’s something I would love to see happen with the new trees, especially as an older person with physical issues that make playing more complex rotations problematic for me.

2 Likes

Why should mashing 1 button be within 5% of something far more complex? That seems like a bad feedback loop for the game.

1 Like

Why would it be a “bad feedback loop”?

The reason why there shouldn’t be a huge gap between simple and complex is so that there’s less of a “right” and “wrong” way to spec if the gap is smaller. Otherwise things stay like they always have, where if you pick what you like/are comfortable with/are a good at using, and that isn’t the same as what is the mathematical “best” then you will be less desirable in groups because the difference between you and someone who goes with “the best” is so huge.

Keep in mind a small gap benefits everyone becauset ensures that even if you have “sub-optimal” specced players in your groups (relevant for all queued content), their “sub-optimal” speccing isn’t holding the group back in a significant way.

People who enjoy more complex gameplay get enjoyment from doing so and a slightly higher potential than those who don’t. Those who don’t enjoy complex gameplay can have a simpler and more enjoyable gameplay experience, and not be a huge burden on their groups for speccing less optimally.

2 Likes

Fourm posters - I don’t do anything for the gear or advantage it gives me. I do it because I enjoy it.

Same forum posters - why should you get the same gear or perform the same as me?

Me - I thought you did it for the enjoyment?

3 Likes

Say it with me:

If you’re complaining about others getting gear too easily…you like making others suffer.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

2 Likes

Ehh… if you’re min/maxing for DPS, then yeah, there’s a lot to go through. But having played and leveled several alts recently, the game isn’t terrible in terms of gearing up.

Biggest issue is Maw/Korthia is pretty well useless except for Legendary crafting mats, so folks should get out to Zereth Mortis ASAP for the Anima catchup stuff. The Cypher gear is essentially the random upgrades, so it’s back to a lot of RNG if you get something or not.

Rotations have changed a bit, but my biggest grumble for non-plate and squishy classes is the lack/nerf of self heals combined with mobs that LOVE to jump behind you for crit damage is freaking annoying. I can’t really get into my Rogue right now, because I could play my Monk or Druid and at least have the ability to tank/heal as needed for difficult content.

My biggest fights on this forum are when someone wants the game to take away what I want because someone doesn’t want me to have it.

4 Likes

Those little gremlin things in Ardenwald were the worst as frost mage.

Oh cool you have blink too neat. OH NO YOU HAVE 2 BLINKS?! WTF.

1 Like

It takes away agency from the player to express their skill on a particular class / role if the top of the top end is only slightly better than someone who didn’t even bind their main abilities or choose talents with any amount of thought.

There’s plenty of content in this game where just pressing frostbolt will get you through… LFR, LFD, LFD-Heroic, even M0.

1 Like

For real. In Cata I had 13 different buttons to press for every boss fight as Demonology. 3 of them were fillers.

Rotations are nothing like they were.

1 Like

Indeed Snozh, nice try lol. You even type the same.

2 Likes

We actually don’t. Imagine thinking I care enough to post on an alt.

My ego isn’t that fragile.

You can even tell we aren’t the same person because their profile is hidden and mine isn’t.

They recently hid theirs because suspiciously you two reply to all the same posts and like each other’s comments

1 Like

You do realize that if you have a hidden profile on one character it’s the same for all characters.

Either way Grincel and I are not the same person.

All of my toons have the name Snoz in them.

It’s funny how wrong you are though.

Why does everyone assume pushing buttons is hard for gamers? WoW is not hard to play.

1 Like

i wouldnt touch this game if i was a new player at least until dragonflight.

1 Like

Those who seek to “express their skill on a particular class/role” would still be able to do so, and would still have a higher potential result from mastering the more difficult gameplay. Just because the difference isn’t massive doesn’t negate the fact that there is a difference, and more importantly, if those players actually want and enjoy more complex gameplay, they have the option to do so and get a modest performance gain to boot.

Expecting everyone to be capable of handling the more complex gameplay by default, is far and away closer to robbing players of “agency” in my opinion. A huge gap would also mean those players who choose to go with simpler gameplay options (where possible via talents, etc), would be less desirable in groups because they can’t perform as highly as those who choose the more complex options.

There’s plenty of content in this game where just pressing frostbolt will get you through… LFR, LFD, LFD-Heroic, even M0.

Going with the larger performance gap way is divisive. Going with a smaller performance gap way is inclusive. It’s as simple as that.

1 Like

There are very few specs in this game that take more than 3 or 4 brain cells to learn at some sort of baseline level. There are a ton of options for people who don’t like playing fast or complex specs, to name a few BM Hunter, Arms Warrior, Frost Mage, both DH specs.

I don’t think it’s a lot to ask for people to learn a 2-3 button rotation. Once that’s down you pop your damage cooldowns when they’re available and boom you’ve learned the basics. You might even have more fun. If you want to press only one button there are a lot of great idle / clicker games on steam.

The game shouldn’t be designed around players who want to play in some strange way like only pressing 1 ability. If I only wanted to rp walk and type ‘/cast …’ commands for every ability would it be fair for me to expect Blizzard to design more content to compensate for that? I said “more content” there because you can already do most of the games content by trolling as I mentioned above (LFD / LFR etc)

1 Like