I have to agree...this game is no longer for the casual player

Icy Veins Vanilla Rogue Guide

Single-Target Rotation for Sword (Outlaw) Rogue

4 Points:

1. Maintain Slice & Dice
  2. Cast Eviscerate when you have extra combo points.
  3. Cast Vanish if your threat is too high and you are in danger of pulling aggro.
  4. Cast Sinister Strike to build combo points.

Icy Veins 9.2 Combat (Outlaw) Rogue Guide

There are 10 points and that’s not including covenants, legendary synergy, multi target rotations, an entire different section for ‘roll the bones,’ and more.

I’ll do 1 more…Shadow Priest. This one is real good!

Icy Veins Shadow Priest Vanilla Rotation Guide

4 points:
Shadow Word Pain
Mind Blast
Mind Flay
Mind Flay

Icy Veins 9.2 Shadowlands Shadow Priest Rotation Guide

19 points. Not 5 or 6 or 7…19 different things to do in a rotation.

So a brand new player comes along and you tell them ‘try priest! Shadow priest is real fun!’. “Just make sure you use ‘Surrender Madness’ only if the target will die within 25 seconds and you are not in ‘Voidform’ ok?” “What’s ‘Voidform’ you ask??? just go to Icy Veins, it’s all there”

There is no way a new player can play a class to its full potential from the start. No longer a ‘pick up game’.

What happened to WoW?

185 Likes

Ironic considering the current game is easier that it’s ever been before.

86 Likes

Is that why you have a 48% win rate on your Hunter in 2s?

127 Likes

Wait, title uses “casual player” end point discusses “new player”

You know these aren’t, in any way, the same thing right? Are you suggesting a casual player is so inept they can’t handle a busy rotation? Kind of mean, no?

44 Likes

The current game has quality of life improvements over Vanilla and past expansions…but these rotations and borrowed powers have made accessibility to brand new players extremely difficult.

I would love to hear your opinion on the difference in class rotations between early to mid wow…and now.

37 Likes

A new player could never play a class to its full potential . That is something learned over time .

Not like it is a game where you have a set number of buttons to push and no real leveling .

This is a time investment game . Time invested in building player characters . Time invested in learning ones class.

8 Likes

The old rotations are pretty mind numbing. Not to say some classes and specs aren’t overly complex now, but the Vanilla style of gaming just isn’t for me anymore. Everything about it is too slow, too simple, and frankly too boring.

In the modern game, I actually enjoy when I pick up specs I haven’t played before, or haven’t played much of, and learn how they flow. It is nice how the specs flow compared to the much more stop and go feel of the older version of the game.

Different games for different dames, though.

6 Likes

Blizzard goes by easy to play and hard to master philosophy. They always have. All classes in this game are easy to get into and do starter content, like the world and normal dungeons. You don’t need to be ultra efficient to play shadow priest but if you want to you can.

8 Likes

GD really needs to stop conflating casual with bad/unskilled.

51 Likes

bliz can only become great again when they embrace the truth that there are players (who check rotations, bis guides and such more hours than many raiders or pvp or m= players)

I call it the four pillars of wow content, and all 4 pillars need equal value and content with nothing built around one of the 4 pillare that won’t translate to participating with other content forms.

The four pillars are open world, pvp, M+, raiding.

Bliz seems open to player / customer feed back and I hope that they carry this forward to all their customers playstyles equally.

JMHO / YMMV

HAGD

9 Likes

Easier than classic/vanilla? The requirement for raiding back in 2004 was “don’t stand in the fire” and sometimes pressing buttons.

29 Likes

Yeah the game’s combat is designed more around action RPG elements, more complex rotations and interactions within abilities.

But it’s not even just that, it’s the complexity of the game systems too and how they build on each other in patches.

I can see where casual players would rather not be overwhelmed and it may really be a reason WoW doesn’t have the population it used to, but that is also clouded by many other “problems” the game has.

I think the combat evolving is something to do with trends in gaming changing and that they want to keep new players interested in the game, but then a lot of new players get turned away by how much upkeep there is.

12 Likes

Vanilla frost mage says hello.

3 Likes

WoW was never a pick-up game.

It has always requires a significant investment of time, effort and energy to learn everything, unless you used outside sources like family, friends, wikis, guides, ect.

Quit being disingenuous.

6 Likes

They could alleviate some issues on people wanting to break into modes such as PVP. I’m really hoping they make rated some sort of Solo queue up until a certain rating. At this point if youy play randoms, it’s 1000-1800 you’re fighting against near mid season.

1 Like

I’m casual/solo. I don’t raid/dungeon/pvp.

When I’ve done all with the game I choose to do, I take a break.

The game is fine for me.

9 Likes

Yep. It’s because I help guild mates cap. Who actually cares about twos rating rofl.

Is a boosted shaman and warrior hiding in yet another alt?

8 Likes

The game is no longer for casual players because you push more than three buttons?

Casual players aren’t bad. But you just might be if you yearn for the days of being able to play your class using a pendulum.

6 Likes

Regardless of whether the game is friendly or unfriendly to casuals now, Vanilla certainly wasn’t, and that had nothing to do with the rotation.

WoW APM are lower than a lot of other games that have way more players. Not really a good example.

Yes, the game has gotten ridiculously overcomplicated.

In their effort to avoid bloat, they managed to produce something much, much worse complication wise.

16 Likes