I have to agree...this game is no longer for the casual player

Yeah I think we agree.

Wow has so many difficulty levels and I think not all of them punish players in the right way for making mistakes. In many normal / heroic / even M0 Shadowlands dungeons, for example, many of the mechanics are totally ignorable even in very low ilvl gear. A one shot kill is also a pretty terrible way to make players learn so there needs to be some in-between before people jump into that M+.

Rotationally they could really use some, more in-depth, combat training for new players.

WoW’s combat also can struggle with readability issues. What ability do I move out of vs what ability do I soak? Trash mobs with frontals that have extremely subtle animations and .5s cast timers (looking at you Halls duelists, Spires vanguards, Sanguine duelists).

They could really do with a sweeping change to the way certain mechanics read on your screen. No more blue swirlies on blue floor and white swirlies on white floors. Some mechanics can be extremely hard to see to the point that it seems intentional lol.

3 Likes

Blame add ons for this.
It’s become an arms race between the devs and the add on makers, the devs make more complicated encounters to make the game still be challenging to people running DBM and stuff like that, and then the add on makers respond by making the add ons better and so on.

It has reached the point of absurdity, when you are melee half the time you can’t even see what’s going on for all the effects and mechanics.

I just came back 2 weeks ago after a 6 month break, I didn’t have DBM or anything downloaded, I went into LFR and almost nothing had a “tell” that something was going to happen, it wasn’t fun and it clearly showed me that the raids are designed to be run with atleast DBM running.

If Blizz someday kills add ons the outcry is going to be huge.

7 Likes

To be fair, don’t boost.

Which game do you skip to the end and then complain you don’t know what you’re doing?

2 Likes

NICE JOKE DUDE. You mean World of I cant do that yet.

48% is close to 50% which is where you should always be.

2 Likes

I do not know about your skill or anybody else’s

I can, however, say that it could just be that you got better, and understand how the game works better than a new player.

That being said, my gf started playing Spriest, and was managing to raid Heroic Castle just fine, so I can’t imagine the game is that hard to be honest, because WoW is basically the first game she started playing serioiusly ever. Last thing she played was GTA San Andreas
 So if SHE can pick up your Shadow Priest of Impossible Difficulty, and play with it like she was there the whole time
 maybe it’s just not that hard. Maybe the problem is the OP.

But what do I know? I know the ins/outs of every class, and have raided with every class at heroic levels in virtually every expansion, so I can’t say if a class is hard or not because I straight up no-lifed wow for years, so my judgement might be wrong here.

1 Like

I seem to remember back in BC/WOTLK, Hunters would have 70+ keybinds.

I also remember meme videos in Classic comparing PvP on a Warlock to PvP on a Rogue, where 10+ skills were used for the Warlock and the Rogue just had two abilities on their keyboard, Sinister Strike + Evisc

I don’t think the game got any more complicated, I just think in search of more and more interesting class design, the format for the most complicated classes of old was adopted for all classes.

They moved the complexity from the game to your class.

In the process of adding more rotational buttons and cooldowns, they removed mana management from DPS (except arcane mage)

Yes, there are more buttons now, but if you understand buff/dot maintenance, builder/spender, and keep x on cooldown, almost every class is a re-mix/reskin of those 3 mechanics.

1 Like

THey won’t . They opened there API to addon makers so they wouldn’t have to worry about focusing on such qol things themselves .

Blizz and and addon makers pretty much have a symbiotic relationship

Give me a break :roll_eyes: if you’re coming into WoW, you fully know what you’re getting into. An MMO where you level up and become strong and get more buttons. There’s Pokemon and Animal Crossing for collecting cute pets and designing houses.

This was not a viable spec in Vanilla aside from leveling

That’s a cheap shot and you know it.

Those vanilla rotations look absolutely boring lmao. I’m glad the rotations are like this nowadays, otherwise I wouldn’t even play.

2 Likes

It’s the delta, right? There’s always been a contingent of players who just aren’t interested in min-maxing their dps. What’s changed is they the ceiling had gone higher, but the floor has not. So the average player is somewhere in the middle of that, checks the guides but maybe doesn’t 100% grasp the nuance, but they can press void form when their WA tells them to.

Then there’s all these people left who just like the way mindflay looks, for example, so they push it. For them, the game just gets harder and harder until there’s no reason to keep playing, whereas in vanilla they could raid, even successfully, on that platform.

Idk what the right answer is, but I can appreciate the frustration.

3 Likes

They were a support class back then. Perfectly viable. I remember a raid of 40 shadow priests killed Nefarion even. But they weren’t a “dps”. They got rid of the support role a bit later.

1 Like

It absolutely is.

I raided in Vanilla. I don’t think we had a single Shadow Priest in any of those raids.

They ran out of mana on the way to the raid, and couldn’t really participate.

1 Like

Which is funny because in TBC they made them the raids mana battery

And the “don’t stand in fire” only happened a couple times in a 10 minute encounter.

The current game can have 10 positional requirements in one minute. The majority of some fights are running around to avoid things. Which is fine if it’s a game of big attack, little attack, parry. But this is a game of here’s your 24 abilities and two resources to build attacks from.

4 Likes

I don’t get why folks say this when it’s completely false. My rotation as an elemental shaman in TBCC is 2 buttons. If maintaining 2m totems is what you call complex, then idk what to tell you dude.

Boss fights are more complicated then ever as well to the point I can’t even imagine doing them without deadly boss mods.

6 Likes