I hate the NE bias in things

That’s not my confusion, that’s the religious contradiction.

But what they actually are is different.

Also known as: the Mother Moon, the Night Warrior, Mu’sha (term specific to tauren

)

The moons are named the Blue Child and the White Lady, the Child’s mother. The White Lady has different names. My people call her Elune. The Tauren call her Mu’sha.
Chapter 14 Before the Storm

They refer to the same thing but as different names and concepts.

Then it’s up to blizz to actually give the Earthmother mother her needed attention and what her aspects are.

Elune is represented by the moon but when the Night Elves speak of Elune they mean the goddess where as Mu’sha for the Tauren is the moon. Their similarity is in the moon because it’s the left eye of the Earthmother but also the physical aspect of Elune, but we know that Elune is far more than that, she’s an actual celestial being. For the Tauren Mu’sha is just the moon with its own place in nature but really just a part of the Earthmother.

They’ve expanded on Elune but now they need to expand on the Earthmother so that we finally have a clear picture of her.

2 Likes

Horde in general is forgotten in the lore.

3 Likes

That’s the entire point I was raising, how to resolve that contradiction.

Well according to the quote, they also mean the moon itself. That Elune, White Lady, and Mu’sha are interchangeable terms. You can say Elune means more, but that still encompasses the moon.

2 Likes

Did I not cover that earlier? Maybe I didn’t.

Because she’s represented by it. She the moon goddess or goddess if the moon. It’s the association with said moon that creates the similarity between the two cultures. In order to unravel the two the Tauren religion needs to be expanded on.

1 Like

No expansion will explain these inconsistencies without either retconning or saying one religion is partly wrong.

1 Like

Thats like… a fantasy trope for all but humans. If your race wasnt chased from their ancestral homeland and isnt on the verge of extinction, you are just a cosplaying human.

The Misty Mountain calls.

11 Likes

I will never understand caring this much about the validity of a fictional religion believed by elves and minotaurs

1 Like

Enough to post about it on a forum? Like literally every topic on here?

6 Likes

I can understand wanting like territory and stuff because that’s actually materially relevant in the game, but abstract religious arguments?

You can claim I’m weird but I don’t get it.

1 Like

I mean? Aren’t you the guy who constantly reinforces the need to reclaim the Human Holy Land, to wipe away the stain of some mistake and reclaim “Human Pride”? While also calling anyone who doesn’t want to play a Christian (Allegory) Crusader Power Fantasy an edgy memelord?

4 Likes

Relates to like pride and interest in the lore of said characters.

It’d be like if Dwarves mined a lot and that’s big to them. But never comes up. Then it is heavily featured that Gnomes can easily synthesize any metal and gem en mass.

Like, that’d make that part of their culture seem a tad silly.

7 Likes

You don’t actually know my position or motivations that well at all if you think that I’m motivated by some sense of religious duty (???)

You’ve acknowledged before that the horde lacks a lot of long-term history in the game’s setting. The tauren stuff is an example of one race that logically should have some sort of roots, but has been neglected.

17 Likes

There are roots, they just don’t get explored.

:pancakes:

6 Likes

No, but you’re very much on the “It is my manifest destiny to reclaim the Human Holy Land and reclaim the Pride of Humanity” train. To the point where you have repeatedly claimed that the only possible way you believe someone would want to play Horde is to be an edgy contrarian meme lord? That sort of Crusader Paladin power fantasy does have its roots pretty strongly ingrained in a certain RW inspiration.

Regardless, it is as Sarm said. The general issue is that the Tauren are an absurdly neglected PC race in terms of storytelling, and Blizz has been slowly undermining what lore they do have for the last few expacs. That’s a Tauren players problem.

11 Likes

If you think you’ve been arguing with some real-world religious conservative stereotype all this time it sure does explain why you post the way you do.

1 Like

Says the guy who defaults an entire faction into edgy memelords who only are there to be contrarian to the REAL faction? Truly, I wonder what would have given me that impression?

EDIT: And no, I don’t think that there is any real religious connotation in your wishes or ambition with the reclamation of Lordaeron. Its just that sort of pre-ordained MUST does give off that sort of “we must reclaim Constantinople” edge.

6 Likes

I’m honestly not even so sure we should assume the Earth Mother is just Azeroth. It comes across like she was the early tauren understanding of “the world.” Not “the world” in the sense of “this specific planet,” but rather a primitive (at the time) people’s early and mythical conceptualization of “everything that is.” Which was relative to their, at that time limited, understanding of the observable world around them. After all, there’s never been any implication that if a tauren goes to Outland or something their beliefs about the Earth Mother suddenly don’t matter there because she’s back on Azeroth.

Consequently, it would sync with both the tauren and the night elves’ interpretations if the Earth Mother (once the early tauren tribes’ understanding of “everything” as nomadic tribes limited in exposure to the surrounding world, but in a more contemporary context the universe) produced both An’she and Elune/Mu’sha, while maintaining that Elune (and An’she) would both still be legit deities as understood by the night elves and tauren. Even the name “Earth Mother” could be construed as less a localized concept of “our mother, the earth” and more along the lines of “that which made the earth.”

Though she’s not the center of their faith, the tauren didn’t “just” consider Mu’sha the moon. Her legend in their stories involves her as a thinking being with agency and power (she freed Malorne when he became entangled in the stars, after all), so although they don’t use the word goddess, the concept is still there and so not really all that far removed from how the night elves interpret her.

3 Likes

I scrolled through this thread, so if I missed it I’m sorry, but it looks like almost 100 posts and this only received a passing commentary.

Does anyone else want to pause for a moment and consider Cenarius climbing out of a Tauren womb?

Come on…

Fine, whatever, but regardless, yes the Tauren Spiritwalkers (for example) have been completely neglected. Basically, Tauren and Orc spirituality is just downplayed in favor of Elune, the Light, etc.

I don’t think it’s even reasonable to say, “Hey, let’s take away the entirety of the defining religion in Night Elf society.” That’s doubly true when you add in the fact Elune is the only “known true deity” (though it’s unknown if there are more) in WoW.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that there should be some emphasis on Tauren spirituality, since it is one of the aspects the story sort of waves a hand at and says “Taurens are spiritual!” and then basically ignores. Baal has gone around posting ideas for An’she as one of the other deities and it would be interesting in my opinion.

I do think it’s a bit unreasonable for Night Elves to always get upset when folks say, “Hey, it’s kind of a little not cool that y’all have a monopoly on the only known deity in existence thereby invalidating any other racial belief systems and/or giving you the ultimate deus ex machina to call upon at some point for plot convenience. It’d be nice if maybe we could share in having some access to a higher power.”

3 Likes