I hate the NE bias in things

Fair enough.

Related, how do you resolve contradictory religions?

Yeah, what dummies would worship the literal primary source of Light for the entire planet? Don’t they know that the only celestial bodies that are actually gods are the ones that rotate the planets themselves. Jeez, where is the logic in revering things that actually support the natural ecosystem of the planet? Or the idea that the entire world (as well as the effects of the Sun, Moon, Spirits, and Elements) are an interconnected whole that should be considered when interacting with parts of that whole. /s Sigh … this setting…

EDIT: Also, BEs religious practices are weird. As is their relationship with the Light. Most of the time they come off as sort of agnostic/athiestic, with the Light merely being seen as alternative magic source to be used. Powered by the Conviction of the user. Outsides of those instances where they are thrown into the Alliance branch Light stories for sort of misleading fake Horde inclusion (like they were on Argus and W.O.D Talador). As Zandalari Prelates channel the Light through their Patron Loa.

3 Likes

:unamused: Why?!

This :point_up_2: walks off grumbling about Maw walkers…

They can be resolved by providing clear story lines and equal representation that speaks to the followers of those religions.

2 Likes

You know I’m talking about the alleged deity behind the sun, and not the object itself.

But one has to be right and one has to be wrong as to the matter of fact.

It was a hypothetical question. If someone isn’t going to take into consideration what an NPC states, they might as well not consider any NPCs.

1 Like

I guess my question is what religions are contradictory in your opinion?

As someone who has slaughtered Old gods, Loa, Wild gods, and even Titans…I’m gonna have to say any that don’t either worship myself or possibly Elune… (also Bwonsamdi, we haven’t killed him yet.)

Araho may have been salty about it but (the NE griping aside) it sounds like he’s asking for the tauren beliefs to be validated in some way. The Light and Elune are both things that the players know exist for certain, whether they’re worshiped or not. Not that I’m proposing to get rid of their followers, of course. So I don’t think the stance that the tauren religion is validated by their beliefs alone cuts it, when it’s placed in a setting where the other ones don’t need that blind faith.

5 Likes

That Elune to the Tauren is part of the Earthmother.

That’s sort of my point. Its not that the Tauren cultural practices are invalid. Hell, they are so valid that even Wildhammer revere the Earthmother to some degree. Its that the Tauren (even among Horde races) are probably the single most neglected Core race in the game; tied with Alliance’s Gnomes. And that’s coming from me a Bilgewater player. And boy do we and our Cata brethren know “neglect”.

Sigh … and I can’t shake this feeling that the Blizz is uncomfortable writing Tauren. And uncomfortable having the euro-inspired Alliance ever be in direct conflict with them. Which is why they never invest in their lore (even among Horde races), and have made the Tauren the Token Good Horde Race; as well as turned their main reps into accessories for Alliance ones. But … they don’t really have enough self awareness not to accidentally undermine the already established Tauren lore, or their characters. Like with Baine … constantly.

3 Likes

I’d like to expand on this a bit to talk why there are people in this thread who feel the NE get a lot of bias, or that other races get a lot of neglect.

Ultimately the problem boils down to that WoW has an absurdly long in universe history in the setting, and in Azeroth only a few things have really gotten a lot of focus on the past events, and of them the biggest, most crucial event that things keep going back to is the War of the Ancients, which happened 10,000 years ago. Like if you look at Human recorded history, 10,000 years is pretty much longer than we’ve even had the concept of Writing with the earliest estimated writing of the Epic of Gilgamesh only a ‘short’ ~4100 years ago. Yet, with how much of the lore was written, one would be forgiven for thinking it happened only a thousand or so years ago given how many largely intact ruins we see, people who talk about it like yesterday, or how many plot points from that continue to hold weight to this day. It is a hugely explored period in the Warcraft Series tied to a big threat… but it isn’t the only huge event tied to a big threat in the lore.

The Trolls for instance, had a huge war against the Aqir that saw the world spanning might of the remnants of the Black Empire, primary minions of the Old Gods see broken, and the Trolls Triumphant. People would be forgiven for forgetting though because this huge event that shattered one of the other major enemies of Warcraft gets none of the Treatment the War of the Ancients gets. Before BFA there’s not even really a mention of it aside from ‘it happened’. None of the Ancient, Immortal Aqir hold a grudge against the Trolls, no Troll ruins are located near major Aqir hot spots, and there haven’t been barely any story threads or moments related to it. This could be understood as the Trolls just forgetting their history but… it becomes even more frustrating when one looks at BFA and sees that the Zandalari had not one but two separate extremely long lived races in the Tortollan and the Sethrak who could have helped to keep this history alive for the Trolls themselves. That and the Zandalari were supposed to be amazing record keepers, and historians, and Dazar’alor had not been destroyed since it’s initial founding… so such records would have no Library of Alexandria moment to have been forever lost.

As Droite says as well, the Tauren as well may as well have not existed on Azeroth either for all the impact they have left on the land, and they’ve been around for the last ten thousand years as well (and longer besides). Just because they are nomadic doesn’t mean they wouldn’t have left behind some impact on the environment. Especially with such skilled shaman, and having to fight a war for survival against a race of Centaur. Horses have lots of natural weaknesses that could be exploited through terrain or differences in defenses but we know of none of them. No epic poems, or legendary battles. No stories passed down through the ages.

I could go on with how the Human Kingdoms has no major wars against each other until the second war, or the relative non-existence of gnomes in general… but the thing is that the Historical length of Azeroth’s lore is huge. With the biggest event happening so far ago that you would normally only see that time scale in Sci-Fi series, or in ‘pre-history’ of Fantasy Worlds. Not the sort of thing that gets remembered by what feels like half of the living population groups in the world. The focus on only one historical event makes the rest of the massive history of Azeroth feel like a blank page, or worse still like somehow the world was all but in stasis save for a few events which for every race that isn’t the Night Elves make their histories seem blank and uneventful.

:banana:

25 Likes

60% of the responses of my An’she thread are “Actually Elune could also be a Sun goddess, and a Sun god existing canonically equal to Elune is inherently stealing from Elune”

6 Likes

You’re confusing Elune with Mu’sha. The White Lady, the Mother, and Mu’sha are all one in the same. They are the moon. Elune is Elune she’s not a physical being but she does utilize the moon and work through it. She exists far beyond Azeroth. In order for Elune to be Mu’sha that would make her nothing more than part of the Earthmother and not the goddess that she actually is. The Tauren even see Elune and Mu’sha as similar but seperate.

Yall gonna go down this first ones plot development kicking and screaming the whole way huh

Citation needed as always

1 Like

That’s the whole reason she gave Cenarius to Malone and Ysera to raise, because she couldn’t.

Source : https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/An_Injured_Colleague#Dialogue

1 Like

I agree that tauren are getting the short end of the stick with lack of lore, but have to call out that you’re wrong about there being a Night Elf bias. Even if there was Night Elf bias, no matter how much Night Elf fans want the spotlight, it will always be hogged most of all by the humans and orcs in Warcraft.

From Burning Crusade until partway through Legion, Tyrande was being as neglected by the writers as Baine is (Furion was lucky, he was only neglected until Cata). For further evidence, look at BfA. Saurfang got THREE fully rendered cinematics regarding his thoughts and feelings on committing yet another war crime while the war crime’s actual victims got NONE. When we confront Azshara, the final confrontation focuses on Lor’themar and Jaina. Furion and Tyrande are nowhere near Najzatar while Thalyssra and Shandris - both of who were there for the War of the Ancients - are pushed to the background.

Tyrande’s now empowered by probably the most powerful being encountered in WoW and is running around in Torghast… but while we all join in to rescue Jaina (human), Thrall (Orc) and try for Anduin (human), Tyrande is swept under the rug unless you chose Ardenweald as your covenant.

I would like to see Mu’sha explored, and agreed there is a problem not acknowledging that taurens were the first druids.

9 Likes

Scream.
And what will it look like? A tauren druid student of Malfurion (I don’t know his name. Hamuul Runetotem?) Will come to Malfurion with the first knowledge of druidism dug up somewhere, which Cenarius told the tauren, but they did some kind of game, so he stopped teaching them? And then he will show this druidic “secret magic” and say “Ten thousand years in a dream? Pha. Forbidden knowledge is power!” and then he will die, like all the mighty of this world from the Horde.
You talked about something like that? Recognize that the first druids were the Tauren? Or is there a problem that it is not mentioned that the Tauren were taught by Cenarius? Or did I get it all wrong again?