I guess I don't get the appeal of hardcore

I do as well, which is why I am happy they offer transfers off the HC server if something does happen.

People can complain that isn’t “hardcore” all they want, but - the character will no longer exist on a hardcore server, and instead will be shuffled off to a softcore server. So it did effectively die for the HC servers. :dracthyr_tea:

That said, I argue that a HC element can make me even more attached than usual, much more quickly! I mean when I was doing a “no death” challenge before we got the HC servers (but not using the addon, because I didn’t really enjoy the SSF stuff), I got so attached to the old Nelf hunter I made - and his stinky little strigid owl - that I rolled him on retail as well. :dracthyr_crylaugh: I had such a journey with him in Classic, and just wanted to be able to repeat that in retail!

HC definitely seems to attract a certain type of people sometimes, for sure. I think the problem was when it got popular with streamers - so what used to be a relatively helpful and small community who looked out for each other and tried to assist others on their journeys, became this absolutely horrific bunch of trolls and influencer-followers that only cared about making others upset and ruining people’s fun, because that was the “funny” thing to do. It basically destroyed Bloodsail Buccaneers on Classic Era, and given some of the crap I’m seeing on Defias Pillager… kind of worried it’ll go that way, as well.

Haven’t checked Stonetalon, but I’m hoping maybe it won’t be nearly as awful. General chat on Defias is atrocious, and no one wants to give help to basically anyone - except those rare few who will jump in to pull an extra mob off you, or give you some buffs, or try to help you get through to somewhere for a quest objective.

the only thing you flex with hardcore diablo/wow is how reliable your internet connection is and how paranoid you are about griefers

1 Like

Not sure how it is on alliance side or wherever you are but i was leveling in durotar last night on defias pillager and most people seemed generally helpful. lotta people would help if it seemed like someone was getting overwhelmed. There were definitely some offensive things being said in chat though.

I’d give it 3 to 4 weeks.

Classic didn’t turn out to be hard, but it was a lot of fun.

1 Like

Alliance side for me, aye - I put my Horde on Stonetalon. Seemed fitting to separate based on server, given the names!

But, I can only really speak about Northshire/Elwynn; it was awful there, both in chat and seeing how people acted towards each other in-game. Heck, I had sat somewhere farming some mobs for a bit while I was watching something, hoping to get some more bag drops or at least another level/some stuff to sell for money. I’d let people kill mobs furthest from me for their quests, while I just focused on killing stuff nearby. Got accused of being a bot by someone, despite me having clearly un-botlike movement patterns and playing style. Then they decided to grief me over it, despite me actively explaining what I’d been doing there lmao.

Haven’t seen how it is on Teldrassil much, nor Coldridge; when I was briefly on my elf, it seemed much quieter, but people were still playing very selfishly.

2 Likes

These peeps screaming bots constantly are so freaking childish and entitled.

1 Like

I just wanted some bags. :dracthyr_cry_animated:

(good news is, I now have full bags on my warlock, so it was all worth it in the end :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated: )

oof yeah that doesnt sound like much fun at all.

I don’t even get the appeal of Classic in general. Yeah nostalgia factors aside, it’s all content that has been farmed to death years ago. I’ve done it all and don’t really want to do it again.

If I want to play a 15 year old+ game, I’m going to play something like Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, or something like that.

It’s anti-efficiency mode. Retail players probably won’t get it because retail is just a meta chasing hamster wheel. The problem when classic came out is everyone just optimized the hell out of it. Harder to play efficiently with one life.

1 Like

WoW Classic is WoW without bosses that take a phd to figure out and systems out the ying-yang.

Ad yeah you’ll go play your Metroid thing but maybe they don’t want to and they want to play WoW. What’s the difference? Both are old.

And I’m not arguing with you. I couldn’t go back to Classic either but I get why some did.

P.s. anyone that wants to argue with my “PhD” comment, uninstall your DBM, Weak Aura and your other 20 different addons first please.

I’m pretty sure the reason that a server was made is because that certain prominent streamers have a pretty prominent dev as what is basically a pocket gm. They even originally announced the servers on a stream hosted by the streamers in question.

1 Like

Interesting. I didn’t know that.

1 Like

I’m with you, I have zero interest in it, but it’s cool that they made part of the game be for other people. Doesn’t all need to be for me.

idk if that’s true, but this game mode is super clipable and watchable since the stakes are so high. I can see why streamers would be down for it

I had a tauren warrior in Vanilla called Punchcow. NO WEAPON ONLY PUNCH! He got to like 15 before I got bored. It was so painful to finally have to delete him last year to free up some character slots.

1 Like

If you’re not enjoying the 1000 hours, you shouldn’t be playing at all.

Me either. Also auto attacking for 2 minutes or having to sit and eat/drink between every mob is so mind numbingly boring.

An Elitist! Bows

sorry, anyway, I don’t get it that much either. You’re going to die, but that’s just the embedded doubt in all of us talking. Those who partake in the Hardcore challenge are commendable. They march on, knowing full well that after maybe a few minutes, a few hours, a few days even, they could lose. And when they do, they are ready to start all over. Even when so close to the apex, toward the pinnacle, and they’re knocked down, they walk back up.
That Courage alone is inspiring, sure it’s just a game, but this blatant ignorance to reason, this courage to march even unto death, and maybe surpass it. It’s not something I could do, that’s for sure! Stupidity, Courage, to laugh at reason’s face and do it anyway, and possibly succeed… While people like me exist who say it’s pointless… It’s an Incredible Feat, and Courageous Pursuit!
May be a game, but if we marched through life with such courage, we could do anything, and also might die… Heh!
Sorry, just watched the last season of Baki Hanma, so I’m feeling all emotional… Heh!