I got yelled at in M+ because I don't know what "soak at the back" means

Dawn dungeon was released 4 months ago. No excuse to not know the basic mechanic of a fight prior to joining with random people. You’re as toxic for going in completely blind as we are for saying you should already have known beforehand.

4 Likes

Probably in the clearly designated soak circle where the other dps and healer are running too. Soak circles have their own visual appearance.

Old M+ people can be sometimes a bit . . Impatient. I honestly used to think so myself, but now I think it’s more of a symptom of playing with people who expected to be carried. Sure, that problem is solved by playing with friends or guildmates but sometimes you find yourself in a PUG and some guy is dying to everything. You’re trying your hardest to explain the fight but it’s not going through and you just. . . Sigh. Lol.

It can get frustrating, but that stuff is meant to happen in low keys where you are learning, not in a 17+ where you should already know or at least made the attempt to know. I find my patience has worn thin these days, I don’t want to have to explain mechanics on anything past an 11. But I used to. I’d talk you through the whole thing. Sometimes I still will, but I’ve grown tired. :joy: however, if I can’t say anything nice I won’t say anything at all.

If you’re in a 2/5/7/10 whatever then yeah, those are probably the ideal keys to learn the finesse of the dungeon on. I’m not about to start screaming at someone in a +5 because they missed a mechanic lol. I posted my +2 on an alt and someone even said “hey, first time here please be patient”. My response was “what are +2’s good for if not for learning!” And off we went and it went well. Don’t get discouraged, eventually the mechanics become second mature anyways.

3 Likes

Even the back has a back.

1 Like

the problem is, he’s putting the “blame” on the person who tried to help him.

I mean he could have said:

“oops, I didn’t understand this mechanic and I died, can you tell me what to do for the next time?”

instead it came across as “I died and it’s everyone else’s fault”

6 Likes

So, I’m sure other people have answered this but I’m not scrolling through the thread.

To soak something means to deliberately stand in something. Often soaks are highlighted by swirlies on the ground that have an upcoming cone out of them. Sometimes not. The usual defining thing about a soak mechanic is a hard line around the circle. Swirlies without a hard line around them (usually) are not meant to be soaked.

Another time you’ll hear soaks be involved will be when a “meteor” is involved in 90% of cases. Meteors in WoW have always been something which is meant to be soaked since the beginning. In fact, the only situation in which I can think of a mechanic that has the word “meteor” involved that isn’t meant to be soaked is Fyrakk in this tier because he has an ability which calls down “meteors” but they’re not WoW’s mechanical meteors.

2 Likes

Actually “at the back” of circular room or pillared full of players wouldn’t make me think “get behind them”. sry :slightly_frowning_face:

that’s donkey manure - if you’ve already gone through them on normal and heroic homework on YouTube shouldn’t be necessary - that’s the problem with this whole M+. First you guys say socialize, (the guy said he was new) - so next thing to do is talk and be helpful, you know, socialize!

4 Likes

“you have a back, and you have a back, EVERYONE HAS A BACK”

“To be allowed to enjoy the game you have to spoil yourself at everything beforehand.”

8 Likes

Meh.

PVE nerdrage.

Come do PVP instead, where we routinely call each other out, but deflect and say that “it was the other guy’s fault.”

2 Likes

There really is no excuse, next time know the mechanics before joining

Or don’t come to the forums complaining

2 Likes

Exactly. Reminds me of people who should tell a child, use your words, instead of yelling at them for not understanding. (I know terrible analogy, best I could do at the moment.)

You were fine, it wasn’t a you issue.

3 Likes

What if everyone has their back to each other? Is it then in the back of the backs back or in the center back behind the back?

Lol, I guess it was the tank’s fault for op not knowing the fight nor communicating to the group he didn’t know the fight

1 Like

It would be Backception.

1 Like

Woah, you lost me.

1 Like

I mean. To be fair, soak in the back isn’t some kind of non-simple word usage. It’s fine the OP didn’t understand in the heat of the moment, but soaking a mechanic in the back isn’t like someone told him to hurry up, death a blind and now purge the enemy mind control off of his team mate during a burst phase while ensuring he didn’t ruin his rogue’s DR’s with a whiffed fear.

See what I’m saying?

If this is the dungeon/boss/mechanic I think it is, yeah that’s a pretty terrible description lmao.

Catch footnotes on YouTube or on Mythictrap before you run new stuff, is pretty much all I can give as advice.

1 Like

No, this makes sense. If you turn around now, your “back” is your “front”, and your “front” is your “back”, see it all makes sense.

Like “Wash yer back”. They think you’re dirty, I’d say. :dracthyr_nod: