I got yelled at in M+ because I don't know what "soak at the back" means

Soak means to stand in a specific area and take the damage.

In the back is pretty self explanatory.

Those versions don’t have the same mechanics.

Even M0 stuff dies too fast to learn mechanics.

I don’t even read up on mechanics at all and still easily clear +15s because I learned them over time.

Sounds completely clear to me, sounds like you either dont know what you are doing or trying to cope because you got called out. Soak is very standard not just in WoW but any other RPG or MMO. In the back is 100% behind the group or behind the boss.

I am still trying to figure out what a soak is.

Why couldn’t the guy say, “get behind the boss” or “to the boss’ rear”?

1 Like

Maybe on trash but the bosses aren’t dying that fast on M0, come on now.

Soaking is taking required damage for a mechanic, essentially. This is a pretty standard term.

9/10 times it’s gonna be standing in a circle with a swirly tornado in its middle, these days.

For this specific example there is a large glowing circle that the rest of his party was standing in.

I am soaking all the toxicity right now.

Hold steady group we aren’t wiping yet!

1 Like

This time. But what about the next dungeon here goes into blind? Or the one after that?

Eventually he’s going to come across someone who bails on the group because they don’t want to deal with someone who can’t be bothered to look up the fights. Thus ruining the key.

There’s even a dungeon journal. He had zero excuses.

1 Like

Like I said, it’s completely fine the OP didn’t know what “soak in the back” means. And he obviously shouldn’t have been yelled at for it either. People yelling at one another over mechanics is ridiculous. And you’re right to dislike a lack in communication.

I’m just also pointing out there’s way more complicated stuff in WoW than someone telling him to soak in the back.

Here’s my line of thinking. The people who yelled at the OP are obviously wrong. But the OP should have also just taken it as a learning experience to know not to run with these people again, but also to take what they told him and apply it. If someone tells me the right thing to do but does it in a crappy way, it doesn’t devalue the fact it’s the right way. He’s just crappy at communicating it. The OP should apply the same logic here. “Not gonna run with you again but at least I know what to do now.” Boom, done. Easily solved. It didn’t need a 180+ post forum thread about it.

2 Likes

They die very fast because with just questing gear from new zones you can still easily +3 up to a 5 or 6.

Very few bosses actually require you to know the mechanics to land the kill at those levels.

Dps is just insanely high

If you can learn anything from that garbage, be my guest.

That’s where the aforementioned YouTube videos come into play. Or the dungeon journal.

Getting the gyst of what the attacks do is better than not and then dying.

Not having an aneurysm over a 4 you’re going to easily time anyway is the best of all options.

2 Likes

Have a little empathy, someone in a 4 doesn’t need to know everything. Brez exists, heals exist, immunities exist, in a 4 the tank can solo it if need be. You don’t need to play perfectly especially not in a 4.

1 Like

He would have known what “soak in the back” means if he took 20 seconds to read about the mechanics before joining a group

2 Likes

That’s because there’s 3 different levels of “learning” before you get to M+

Normal, Heroic, M0.

Normal has barely any mechanics (usually 1 or 2), and next to no damage.
Heroic steps up the damage and adds in 1 more mechanic
M0-M+ adds in all the mechanics

You’re expected to do the learning stages before jumping into the big boy games. I’m sure you’d be pretty upset with someone who skipped medical school and was like “eh it’s okay, i stitched my cat one time, I should be good to perform open heart surgery on you” and then get upset for people kicking you out of the operating room lol

2 Likes

Sure, I even said that in a previous post. He shouldn’t have gotten yelled at for it.

However there’s a lot to be said for preparation and minimizing the risk of it happening in the first place.

Having basic knowledge going in goes a long way.

1 Like

I’d disagree that if you are doing M+ you should at least know the mechanics of the dungeon regardless of the key level.

1 Like