I don't get the appeal of Dragonriding

Understand what it is replacing - ground mounts to travel to and from quest areas.

Dragon riding does two things -1) It allows the designers to place quest areas MUCH farther apart which makes the world feel much larger (because it is). And 2) It provides the player with a way to get from quest giver to quest area much faster and without having to constantly deal with ground trash which is the reason everyone always wants flight as soon as possible.

So, while dragon riding also involves some game type stuff like gathering runes and learning how to extend flight, the real value is that it gives us most of the positive parts of flight right at the start of the xpac instead of months and months down the line after we’ve done some sort of pathfinder grind.

3 Likes

I’m finding a lot of shills that I put on ignore years ago at the start of SL popping up…

I think Blizz has employees rah rah the start of a new x pac on their accounts…

6 Likes

I’m thankful I haven’t seen, or at least yet noticed, anybody making an asinine statement like that. I think it’s fun for what it is, and for while it lasts, but those who do think it should be the new norm and replacement for “legacy” flying, they’re just crazy! Enjoy it for what it is, and when the time is right, let us have regular flying (which we’re going to get anyway).

6 Likes

There’s so much weight to it. You can feel the hard-hitting forces. Even gforces. It makes you feel pushed back in your seat.

I think it would be amazing to implement in virtual reality.

But besides that aspect, it’s also extremely efficient to hop around from quest to quest or farming node to farming node. And when you get used to it, it’s even less work then a regular flying mount. You don’t have to hold a button all the way to the node. You just drop down with momentum and get ready to collect it.

People think dragon riding is going to get old, but arguably the reason WoW started dying after WotLK is because regular flying got old; players wanted dragon riding but they didn’t know it yet.

With regular flying, if you’re flying in a str8 line to your destination there’s nothing you can do to go faster and you might as well just read a book to pass the time. It’s no wonder everyone quit; they should’ve renamed the game to World of Waitcraft

1 Like

this is an amazing load of crap…

5 Likes

For levelling and questing, it’s really nice to be able to reach my destination really fast. I hope they’ll add normal flying to DF though, so that I can just hover in the air.

Need to be able to mount up in combat

Cataclysm was the first expansion where you could fly in almost every non-instanced zone in the entire game (with very few exceptions, such as TBC starter zones and Tol Barad), and it’s also when the game started losing more subs than it gained. Coincidence?

Why is the least popular WotLK dungeon the one where you have to fly, but the DF dungeon where you fly is very cool and fun?!

3 Likes

It’s 1000% flight speed if mastered I can get from one side of the map to the other in no time. I feel like most of these complaint threads are from people that haven’t maxed it out or just aren’t able to master instead of afk’ing to a destination. I’m going to find it very difficult to go back to 310%

5 Likes

I like when I feel like I’m actively engaging with the game. I can do that with travel. Love that stuff right now.

2 Likes

Dragon riding is alright but id like to be able to use normal flying mounts as well amd there’s no reason not to allow it.

Gathering on a mount that has to always be in motion is terrible.

12 Likes

Did I stutter?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t know, can’t even use it for a few seconds without feeling like vomiting.

5 Likes

uh… wat?

Dragonriding is objectively worse if you play the game ‘chill’ but instead it caters to those that are the ‘GOTTA GO FAST’ types that made dungeons and everything else so awful.

11 Likes

This is such a dumb take you should crawl under a mountain to hide your shame.

3 Likes

As much as I have dark fur and I am short, I assure you I am not a Dark Iron Dwarf.

2 Likes

Regular flying is what people wrongly say dragon-riding is: just something that doesn’t really improve the game at all other than by letting you go faster.

Dragon-riding is not only faster but also has more realistic physics, with velocity and acceleration and all that stuff, like most modern video games have had for probably decades at this point

1 Like

i think dragon riding is going to make me quit this game

12 Likes