I am concerned with how Blizzard addresses redemption from attempted (or completed) genocide

True. Xavius was there for her coronation, and he was still being a pain to everyone until Legion. Don’t know if Azshara’s reign was for more than two-thousand years, though, or the age of other Night Elves currently still around to compare against it.

Chronicle 1
Even Maiev herself calling it a legend.

Chronicle has incomplete information.

And Khadgar called Kalimdor a legend as well when finding out it turned out to be real from Medivh.

Chronicle lacks information that is canonized in later books and expansions wherein we visit and witness the things being canonized.

The only thing that’s canon about the pre tyrando azerothian night warrior is that there are legends. Nelves don’t know her and they know everything. Cenarius never mentions her. Etc.

That is an accurate assessment.

That does not mean a Kaldorei Night Warrior did not exist before Tyrande.

No no no you see there was the nascent Kaldorei with the Trolls controlling the known world, then the Kaldorei controlling it with the trolls shattered. It was coincidence totally.

Azshara claimed all of the land the Humans had. She did not kill them.

If only they go that route.

We’re talking about woman who was capable of killing her own without hesitation or did you forgot Azsuna? And you’re telling me she took all the land without killing people.
And not just her, her cronies would do anything for her, it took Burning Legion to turn back to their senses.

Each conquest comes with a cost. And implying that nelves took the land without bloodspill is just delusional. Especially when nelves were called “bloodthristy” and “cunning” AND that they had Elune altars where they were giving flesh sacrifices of their fallen enemies.

It’s the best option in my humble opinion. It would allow everyone to decide for themselves who was in the right and who was wrong.

3 Likes

I wish this kind of approach would be done more often. I am mourning to this day the way how BfA was wasted. Instead of bringing more grey, they made it even more black and white.

5 Likes

Aren’t “both sides have a point” and “Yrel’s group can be redeemed” incompatible concepts? You have to be in the wrong in order to go on a redemption arc, otherwise there’s nothing that’d need redeeming.

3 Likes

You can still be in the wrong while thinking what you’re doing is the right course of action.

Decisions in life aren’t as black and white as people tend to lay them out to be. There’s nuances and other factors one has to consider

2 Likes

As far as the Yrel talk… I think it is telling that even in the Horde only Allied Race recruitment, Yrel and her Lightbound are positioned to have a possible reasonable POV and purpose, even if it is based on a misunderstanding.

While the Orcs see them as villains, Blizzard unfolds events to the Players to see that it isn’t so black and white as the Orcs portray it.

3 Likes

I still think we will find out that AU Draenor was going to disappear unless Yrel anchored it in light magic, which still had disastrous consequences.

It’s possible. AU Draenor was dying and both sides were blaming each other for it, which was one of the major catalysts for the war between the Mag’har and the Lightbound

Azshara did not just kill the people of Azsuna. She had the Legion kill any Night Elf that wasn’t Highborne, as she wanted only the Highborne to be left.

She didn’t start any of that until she partnered with Sargeras, though. There’s no indication she was purging the nature focused Night Elves or anyone else before then.

Not sure how many times I’m going to have to repeat this to you:

Note that the Satyr sacrifices were once again features of Elune’s power, not Azshara’s arcane.

Are you sure though?

You’re contradicting yourself, becuase you keep on implying there was no killing involved and the takeover of land didn’t cost any lives.

Night Warrior doesn’t have anything to do with retaliation but with wrath/ Fearsome battle aspect. It imbues user with power and that ritual is meant to kill said user, besides what that has to do with expansion of the empire when each source claimed that with power of WoE Alone they were able to topple Twin empires. If Night warrior was used during that time current nelves would know more about it I believe. Nelves had unimaginable source of power in their grasp. What they’d have to retaliate againt when they were the ones that were expanding?
And it’s the other side which was in the defensive.

I’m not talking about Azshara or Elune, but that Nelves are capable of going on a killing spree and doing sacrifices of bodies of fallen enemies.

1 Like

I am sure there is no citeable indication of it, yes.

One does not simply have wrath most of the time, and generally has to be wronged in order to feel wrath towards someone. But I already covered this as well.

And I covered the following as well.

Back here:

And we even covered this already as well:

As I responded to you here:

And there are plenty more examples of that. We’re literally fighting the Druids of the Flame again who are going around forcefully converting nature beings into fire ones with entirely different personalities.

My problem is that you essentially try to justify said conquest as “act of retaliation”, you imply that trolls started the fight and they had it coming, when they were killed en masse and lost majority of their territories. Where it’s pretty clear that Elves were expanding for the sake of expanding. They had enough space to coexist with others, but that wasn’t the case.
The only reason they stopped was because thier queen was bored with it.
The source I provided was that they started, and the trolls were always on the defensive, that they tried to stop elven expansion. Which is more believeable, because if Trolls wanted more land, they would venture outside their borders, but both Chronicles and the in-game books stated that they were happy with their territories. They had enough.

One does not simply have wrath most of the time, and generally has to be wronged in order to feel wrath towards someone.

Like saying “you came from the trolls?”

Fandral Staghelm was giving out quests to kill layable trolls because they were speaking ‘herecy’.

Or perhaps they chopped down the wrong tree?

Wrath can be invoked in many ways. And I fail to see how Trolls who were already in massive disadvange because of WoE, would cause for nelves to get another power up to wipe them faster.

But then again wasn’t this book pulled back because it had lots of errors?

1 Like