I am concerned with how Blizzard addresses redemption from attempted (or completed) genocide

This right here seems weird. It seems like this was the Pre-Azshara Empire. I understand WotA has been overrided in parts but by that point Cenarius is… not a major player. Nelves don’t respect nature.

The capital becomes Zin’Azshari and what not. This almost reads like when the Romans were the “heroes” and overthrew the Etruscans, vowing to be better and make a Republic… before becoming a despotic empire a bit later.

Not 1 for 1 of course. Or even close. But a bit.

Yes, the Kaldorei Empire was established long before Azshara became queen.

Technically we don’t actually know, it’s said to be one of wrath and to be Elune’s battle face. It’s never mentioned about retaliation. It’s however a very costly power since it tends to kill the user, so clearly only the most desperate would use it.

It also contains on another page this “Despite the trolls’ attempts to keep this new race from claiming further territories” Which clearly states that they tried to stop them from expanding, combine that with the other page saying they started their rise by defeating nearby tribes and you have a picture.
Now you have a source for why the trolls were hostile, which was for some reason omitted from chronicles. It also says that the nelves were as bloodthirsty as the trolls.
Keep in mind that during this time the trolls were mostly on good terms with each other, not having any wars, outside of a few skirmishes.
So we don’t know who threw the very first stone, but it leans towards one side. And either way one side clearly went overboard by stealing over half the land.

5 Likes

This is true in real life too even for genocidal regimes. Without triggering Godwin’s Law, I will just say a thing we see repeated in history is that conquerers and genocidal regimes both utilize the conquered and the ones they are, well, ethnically cleansing to police their own people.

This does two things. One, it frees up manpower. Two, it divides the people you are conquering so that they can’t unite.

My point was he was in charge when the Horde PC arrived. Geya’rah led them after leaving AU Draenor.

Ironic that you say that while sporting the Man’ari customization. Jokes aside, I don’t want another double standard from lore.

1 Like

Honestly? Now that cooler heads have prevailed, with the Man’ari being playable as official lore, NOT redeeming Yrels group would be rather silly, all things considered.

Blizz also could at least give the Lightbound justification for their actions, that they alone thought was the right thing to do

Hopefully we do get her groups side of the story though. I’m curious, especially with the implications the playable Man’ari now place on the alliance and lore in general

Tyrande’s ritual’s final line was:

Tyrande Whisperwind says: Elune! Make me the instrument of your vengeance!

All of Night Warriors’ reasons have also been as such.

The Stonewrite:

After I was granted Elune’s dark gift, I fed my rage with my losses and then with my victories. I protected my people. I killed the ones who harmed us.

Khaliiq:

My people were preyed upon. Exploited. I asked Elune for vengeance.

Thiernax:

To fight a great evil which had slain many.
    A coalition of champions had formed to kill the dark god who’d landed on our world.

1 Like

Unreliable narrators are wrong
You’re lying to save face.
Chronicle 1 was released as objective fact and in that it says azshara grew tired of conquest, not never wanted it.

3 Likes

Ironic that you say that while sporting the Man’ari customization. Jokes aside, I don’t want another double standard from lore.

Customization = / = the official lore, nor does it effect anyone’s statements upon said official lore.

Unreliable narrators are wrong
You’re lying to save face.
Chronicle 1 was released as objective fact and in that it says azshara grew tired of conquest, not never wanted it.

It was released as objective fact; but that has now been retconned into just the Titan’s PoV.

Okay?
Why would Maiev or zsppyboi be correct when we know there’s been no night warrior in azeroth before tyrandos coming?

Maiev is one of the oldest night elves ever and she does not know this night warriors name.
lol.
lmao.

2 Likes

The Night Elves saying they defeated the nearby tribes just sounds like bluster, especially given that the Night Elves were trying to say they were superior to the Trolls and so obviously could not be descended from them. The Night Elves obviously did not have a clear understanding of their history that long ago, so would be far from definitive.

The Trolls attempts to keep the Night Elves from expanding sounds just as much as the Trolls attacking the Night Elves to keep them from gaining more hunting grounds, as the Trolls fought each other for them and all others, including the Yaungol, which had to move south away from the Trolls.

The Trolls were also known to strike a civilization first to make sure it would not grow strong enough to resist them, as was the case with the Pandaren, noted in Chronicle:

The former slaves had also overthrown their masters, as as such, they could be strong enough to mount a fierce resistance against thr trolls if given time to prepare. To succeed in claiming their land, the trolls would need to strike without warning and with enough force to shatter the pandaren’s will.

Why would the Trolls have legends of the Kaldorei’s Night Warrior if there had been no Night Warrior before Tyrande?

Because they wouldn’t know that Azeroth’s blood is what made nelves so powerful to begin with. They near nelves say a thing and take it as fact because the nelves are super charged on titan blood and are unstoppable.

How would that have the Trolls specifically use the name Night Warrior?

Heard nelves talking about it or proclaiming it.
Unreliable narrators are unreliable.
That Maiev, etc have no idea who this night warrior is is telling as heck that it’s just a made up story.

Seriously, nelves remember all of history except this one woman???

Nevermind that we personally know it hasn’t happened.

Good points.

Technically there’s a few justifications already in the lore for Yrel and co;

• Yrel’s group being payback for the Iron Horde
  • They may be angry that AU Grom got off scot-free but the Mag’har refused to hand him over.
  • AU Draenor is a dangerous world where everyone tries to kill everyone else and first responded to the Draenei with hostility, so they figured a holy war to unite the world was the only way to make it safe (one of their actual reasons in the scenario).

I meant the lore they use to explain the option in-universe.

1 Like

We do not know it hasn’t happened. The fact that both the Night Elves and Trolls have legends of the Night Warrior gives credence to it have happening before.

We found three Night Warriors in Ardenweald, Maldraxxus, and Revendreth, however that does not mean there aren’t more out in the Shadowlands. In the alpha there was even a Night Warrior set for Bastion:

The Path of Totality - Retrace the memories of Caregiver Selenis and her path to becoming a Night Warrior.

Caregiver Selenis made it into the game, but she’s just happily taking care of Stewards, her memories of life purged by the Kyrians like all others before we made Adrestes the new Paragon.

Exploring Kalimdor was also written by Sean Copeland, Blizzard’s lore historian, who has stated he doesn’t hold Blizzard’s creative developers to having to adhere to previous lore, so if the Night Warrior established the Kaldorei Empire is what Sean Copeland is going with then that will have overwritten the history to be the case now.

“My team believes that continuity exists to enhance a story, not to tie the hands of creators,” says Copeland.

2 Likes

Incorrect, as usual.

Blizzard has admitted to being wrong even with their “lore historian” present.

Which makes them a bit more honest than you :

Even Blizzard can acknowledge they make mistakes when discussing their own lore. There is lore that their much ballyhooed “Lore historian” can be mistaken about.

7 Likes