I am concerned with how Blizzard addresses redemption from attempted (or completed) genocide

It was not. It was acknowledged by her brother in the game in Val’sharah and by Maeiv herself.

One such time was during the Sylvanas judgement questline:

And she acknowledged it again in the Nelf heritage questline:

To be fair, most of the Mag’har that we meet are the children of the Iron Horde orcs who had nothing to do with the war on Draenor.

Remember that the Mag’har recruitment scenario takes place during the present time where as the events of WoD take place 35 years in the past.

1 Like

Let’s be real here. It is not unreasonable that thousands of years of the land being used by other nations that hate trolls tend to remove most traces of the troll culture, especially after several world altering events.
It would be a lot more unreasonable that there were no cities or settlements in more than 70% of the land the trolls had, just keeping to a small corner.

There are a few troll statues in the north east of Loch Modan, near the caves where the ogres took up refuge.
Also in some of the old books there’s forest trolls living in the twilight highlands, although when we go there in cata the Horde is aided by a troll from a local tribe and for some reason they’re jungle trolls.

1 Like

its a video game.
Its make believe.
its like a book or a movie.
if you dont like it, you dont have to bother with it.

I said mostly, though it doesn’t help their case that they’re led by the former leader of the Iron Horde himself, AU Grom. And he wasn’t the only Iron Horde survivor (Orcs live about as long as humans). Besides, if we sweep the Man’ari’s actions under the rug, why not for Yrel’s group too?

They are lead by Overlord Gey’arah, daughter of AU Durotan and Draka.

AU Grom presumably died at the end of the questline trying to stop the Draenei.

Nobody is sweeping the actions of the man’ari under the rug though. No forgiveness was given nor were they greeted with open arms

1 Like

Yes.
The lowborn loved her and did her sins at her request. They agreed with her completely. I covered this in the first post and posted highlighted screenshots from chronicle as citation.

7 Likes

Then why did they exile her?

Well, first off the people didn’t exile her. Her capital was on the shores of the Well and she was about to drown until the Old Gods saved her and… transformed… her and her most loyal followers.

They exiled the Highborne Defectors, who had joined the rebels, due to their use of Arcane magic and some other things.

Those Highborne split into a few groups. The ones that rejoin the night elves, those who follow Dath’remar, those who just point blank die…

8 Likes

She called the legion to the planet.
That was the straw that broke the camel’s back.
Not enslaving humans.
Not genociding more trolls than the player has.
Drowning the world and summoning demons. Things that negatively affected them.

5 Likes

I understood that to mean when she was chasing Illidan she actively fought against Tyrande and Malfurion IIRC. I could be way off. I need to replay WC3 for those details

Yeah that’s not what she meant.

In WC3, she never actively fought against Tyrande and Malfurion when she was chasing Illidan.

That line was most definitely referencing what took place in Wolfheart.

Fair enough. Like I said, I could be wrong. But, yes, Maiev has a history of being a total jerk-face with hugely problematic tendencies towards violence.

1 Like

IIRC the highborne who join the Night Elves during Cata are the Shen’dralar from Eldre’thalas/Diremaul

How when Wolfheart takes place during Cata? How could Maiev reference an event that hadn’t happened yet?

Because what I had quoted is what Maeiv had to say in her dialogue box during the Sylvanas judgement questline at the end of SL.

Well, I think you meant say she was referencing what happened during Cata/Wolfheart and not WC 3.

Because otherwise her comment makes no sense timeline wise

What do you mean exactly?

I don’t recall Maiev “turning her glaive against her own people” during WC3 except for maybe when she was going after Illidan.

But I don’t think she even considered Illidan to be one of her people.

I’m just saying that the events she referenced in Shadowlands happened during Cata’s time period. That’s all.

It’s impossible for her to be referencing WC 3, when the only bad thing she did than was lie about Tyrande being dead after she held the bridge against the scourge

1 Like

The enslavement of the humans was the fault of Sargeras:

This book took place when Sargeras was still possessing Medivh, so it’s Sargeras admitting it himself.

5 Likes