Hypocrisy of min maxers on covenants

I don’t disagree. Both side of this are to blame.

That’s. Why. You. Set. Standards. Because it can be achieved through a pug if you really try.

But you don’t want to try. You don’t even want other people to try. You want to punish them for trying. Because how dare people try to better themselves even a tiny little bit.

Sure. Go ahead and hit me up when a group of randoms make world first or sets any records.

or just run their own pug…

Not if their goals are so lofty as to be a top ranking group.

Why does it have to be world firsts? Why can’t people still want to improve themselves no matter what their skill level is? Why is that idea so abhorrent to you?

Should we just rip out all numbers from the game? Make it so nobody knows how much damage they’re doing and hope the boss dies before they do?

1 Like

It’s not. Your skill level is dependent only on your own practice. Not those who you practice with. You can be praciticng with a group of NPCs and your skill level would still be increasing so long as you maintain your rotations and work on fine tuning them while raising your awareness.

Our teams success comes from playing with like minded players and I also think success is entirely relative, so when you say things like this

it creates a false narrative that success can only be defined by “BEING WORLD FIRST” or “BEING THE 1%” or whatever other way you want to put it.

That’s lame, man. A bottom US 5,000 guild can still have standards and expectations for themselves to achieve their own goals. What you are doing is telling them their goals don’t matter because your standards don’t coincide with them.

2 Likes

Running dungeons and raids is not the same thing as playing around with a target dummy.

I suppose the bottom part is true. It’s weird that you don’t acknowledge the importance of understanding how one another plays though.

You’re the one refusing to understand that other people can have standards even if they’re not pushing for world first.

If anything, the extent of that is knowing who we can and can’t trust to do mechanics meaning who we can and can bring to fights. Which is another reason why groups with their own standards and goals shouldn’t be forced to bring people that don’t have similar standards and goals into their runs like you would have them do.

I miss the ITS A SLAP IN THE FACE! guy :frowning:

1 Like

Wouldn’t have everyone. I understand it at the top end competitive side of things. It just seems excessive at the low end. These are practices you see even in M10, don’t you believe that is a little idk. Dumb?

I’ve played the game what way, there’s nothing wrong with it.

But that approach is also completely compatible with character-defining choices.

It already is in certain ways. Let’s say that I’m playing a paladin to the best of my ability and optimizing my character in every way that I can. There are still going to be reasons why a demon hunter might be better in certain situations. Or why a ranged dps might be better than ret.

Does that mean that I must also have a demon hunter that I optimize and play as the same level as my paladin, and also a ranged dps, and everything else that might be better at a given moment? Of course not.

I can do some of that, if I want, but it’s not necessary, and having performance differences of this type isn’t a problem with the game’s design.

What is the problem?

It’s more when players start to feel that they want a demon hunter no matter how dedicated I am to my paladin, and no matter how well I know the encounters, and no matter how optimized I am. Just an example.

That is what I mean by valuing the meta more than the player’s knowledge, dedication and skill.

There are ways in which the game could work to counter-balance this, but it never really has. And it has nothing to do with what the top players prefer. Of there will be more pressure to follow the meta at that level. Those players are largely creating the meta.

But there should be space for players to not follow the meta when there is no actual need for them to follow it. I can still optimize demonology even if destruction is better for certain things. I can still optimize ret even if havoc is the meta choice.

Ion has said he does not want the “solution” to be rolling four characters of the same class.

Maybe you pick your “friends” by who you can use to be carried through content. That actually has nothing whatever to do with actual human relationships, like friendship.

Forcing everyone to pick a covenant that will be distasteful in some way, LOL. You forget that this game is supposed to be entertainement.

LOL. Sure. They’ll “adapt” by going to find another game that doesn’t force them to gimp themselves in multiple ways, while players like you tell them how “alt-friendly” it is to be forced to level up and gear 4 characters of the same spec. Or make your friends by who you can get the best free carries from.

1 Like

I mean, first and foremost I think the amount that people are demanding one min/max in a +10 are being greatly exaggerated. When Ralf goes on his little tirades, he himself says he doesn’t even pug which is a confession that he’s just making strawmen. I logged on last night with my friend who was literally 415 iLvl and has never played before and I was playing on a 430 boomkin alt and even we got into +8s.

Do I think demanding a character as optimized as mine to run a +10 would be dumb? Yes. But I don’t think that the amount of people doing that comes close to hindering the amount of people that are actually trying to do +10s from doing +10s.

On the other hand, do I think that if a person wants to complete their +10 and it’s important to them so they want to have the best comp possible, I do not think it’s dumb at all that they invite people of that comp. You don’t know how important that run is to them. Maybe they’ve never done a +10 before. So what if most people don’t NEED an optimal comp to do that +10, they might. Their skill might not be there so maybe they need help from the gear and the class.

I don’t think it’s fair at all for you to define what’s important to them.

3 Likes

I guess it really just boils down to which side you think should be frustrated really. I’ve never been a supporter of exclusion because the frustration it creates in people. Where possible I share that same belief in life, I just have a higher expectation of non-exclusion in a video game. Because first and formost, it’s a video game. I have a hard time seeing eye to eye with people that view it differently then that.

I understand your point of view, and am able to agree with it. I just also disagree with it at the same time.

Just gotta find like minded players instead of worrying about those that don’t share similar interests and you’ll have no problem! Good luck in your search

Another thread where Ralph continues to contribute to meta toxicity by being a toxic wannabe elitist towards people that want to play to the best of their abilities but still need help from outside sources.

1 Like