Hunter pets not holding aggro - Warlock pets fixed 9/14

This is most obvious in AOE situations but does pop up in single target now and then. Even with beast cleave up, talented into stomp and after multiple kill commands a single mend pet will pull aggro on everything that’s not actively being taunted by your pet. Forget using any AOE ability (explosive shot, for example) unless you use misdirect first and if the fight is at all long you will pull aggro on even single target encounters. Use of any personal defensives or heals will also immediately peel aggro from your pet. It was definitely not this way prior and something seems to not be working correctly.

There’s a thread up in the hunter forums noting this as well. Am experiencing this on a fresh 80 character (not this one) so I know it’s not that I’m doing enough damage to peel threat so easily.

20 Likes

Came here to second this. I started noticing my pet become weaker around level 78, loses aggro all the time and started taking lots more damage than the previous levels. As with others saying above, this seems very apparent when using AOE abilities.

Tested this with scalehide, and clefthoof and saw no difference.

4 Likes

Yep. I’m pulling aggro from it even with Misdirection on sometimes, they really messed something up.

2 Likes

Edited the title to reflect this seems to be a universal pet class issue, per this thread: Soloing with Hellcaller Afflock - I keep pulling aggro

3 Likes

Yep, pet agro is garbage now. BM has most of our damage coming from pet, no reason I’d be pulling off of him with barbed and cobra… makes no sense. Even my secondary pet should be higher on the threat list than me after two kill commands, but frequently enemies are still coming for me.

1 Like

After some testing, it seems Hero Talents such as Vicious Hunt and maybe even Frenzied Tear from the Pack Leader tree are generating aggro for the hunter instead of the pet. I switched to Dark Ranger for a while and while there were still some issues, my pet seemed better at holding aggro.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed the same about aggro. Hope it’s a simple fix. I don’t mind kiting but I’d like to KNOW I’ll be kiting. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is really good info to have, thanks for digging into it more!

Seems like stomp agro is applied to the hunter instead of the various pets doing the stomp.

2 Likes

yep totally agree. there are also enemies which taunt just flat out doesn’t work on, and no I’m not talking about enemies that fixate. I’m talking about run of the mill open world mobs which just flat out ignore taunt

1 Like

I’m seeing this too but mainly in regards to spells? My pet will have aggro, will show that is has aggro, but the mob will turn around and cast at me every time, even if I’m actively in FD. Really strange.

3 Likes

I currently have this issue as well. I think I remember it being an issue at the beginning of the DF expansion too. Was constantly pull aggo. :frowning:

hopefully they are fixing this minor/major bug so us hunters can actually enjoy the game again, it legitly get’s me killed way more often then i’d like, it’s like mobs are immune to Growl or ignore it completely and my threat goes all the way to 400. not matter what i’m pushing or feigning using traps to get away as fast as possible most of it still doesn’t work just instantly rip aggro like i’m their tank, has anyone tried tank pets i’ve thought of trying one but i’m not sure at this rate.

are other specs outside of BM having this issue aswell?

It’s kind of funny how bad it is, yesterday I attacked a secondary target - like my pet already had taunted/agro on something else right…
One cobra, then two kill commands back to back and the enemy is coming for me until growl comes off cd. Pets did like 4x my damage in that 4 second window and I’m still the threat target!?
It’s absolutely ridiculous and makes no sense.

2 Likes

Between this loss of aggro and the fact my pets seem to die to one-shots over and over, I am pretty sure neither me or my pets are meant to be in level 80 content >_<

Right now it looks mostly like a beast mastery issue? I’ve seen one person mention peeling aggro fast as survival but if you look at everyone confirming in this thread, all beast mastery. Which is ironic because pets do the vast majority of our damage and yet are having a far harder time holding aggro than survival pets. I think MM meta is still lone wolf so not super surprised we haven’t heard from them.

1 Like
  • BM hunter

• When Misdirection buff falls off, enemies instantly come to the player

• Pet only holding aggro on 1 mob

4 Likes

I just finished the weekly quest in raging deeps with the elementals and frontline wouldnt hold threat at all. Mob just came after me even after the taunt and the misdirection. I noticed this almost immediately after the prepatch and its slowly gotten worse. When i was a fresh 80 is was horrible. I can survive most fights now with the higher ilvl but im about to switch over to survival when solo because this is a serious issue.

3 Likes

I came to report pet aggro loss issues with my tank pets as well.
Blizz, please fix Hunter and Lock tank pet class Aggro issue

I play a BM hunter; you would think as a beast master that our “special bonds” with our pets would allow our tenacity pets to hold aggro. i have tried several different categories of tenacity pets hoping it was a fluke. it doesn’t matter if its single target or two or more mobs, my tank pet cannot hold aggro at all! this issue has caused me a few deaths already. i have tried waiting to hit the mob. tried changing up my rotation. i am keeping a close eye on threat meter and as soon as i loose a bestial wrath or barbed shot i watch the threat jump anywhere from 130% to 300% and then i have aggro and my pet cannot get it back unless i Feign death. i have had to double check to make sure i didn’t actually have a ferocity pet out instead, its that bad. please Blizz fiz this

it is affecting locks as well, i tried my demo lock and my voidwalker is losing aggro as well. although it does seem like it takes a little bit more from me to rip the aggro from my voidwalker.

4 Likes