Human Customization Thread

Some quick easy themes the Developers could draw inspiration from for Human Tattoos and Body & Face paints.

Holy Light Themes

• Holy Light Symbol - Basically just the Human Symbol of the Holy Light, nothing overly special
  • Holy Light Fanatic - The Holy Light Fanatic concept is primarily centered around the idea of the Scarlet Crusade, allowing the Human to take on a much more spiritual fanatic look.
  • Holy Zealot - Much the same as Holy Light Fanatic, the Holy Zealot would just be another take on the above version.
  • Ember Orb - The Ember Orb concept is based on the Order of Embers from Drustvar and can basically be like a Orb with fire rising up from it. This could represent the Holy Light worship of Kul Tiras.
  • Silver Hand - (Paladin only) The Knights of the Silver Hand are the most widely recognized order of Holy Knights in the Alliance.

Tidemother Themes

• Tidemother Symbol - While the Holy Light is primarily the Religion of most of Humanity, the Kul Tirans look to the seas for guidance much like other Humans look to the Holy Light.
  • Dead Ringer Symbol - The Dead Ringer is an ornate Bell used by Tidesages to call the Spirits of the dead to them in order to grant them safe passage to the flowing rivers that lead to the Shrine of Storms, and to the sea through the Ritual of Release. This could be a symbol for those more
fatalistic Humans of Kul Tiras that are willing to fight, but understand their chances of passing on to the Tides.

Old Tribal Themes

• White Stallion Symbol - Of Humanity’s oldest religion, only the Harvest-Witches of Gilneas remain as a symbol of the once predominant faith of Humanity’s old tribal legacy, and The White Stallion is heavily featured in the myths of ancient Human Tribes.
  • Druidic Tribal Markings - Prior to the rise of the Holy Light, many ancient Human Tribes had primitive beliefs that were rather crude versions of Druidism. While their Druids were not like Druids as we know them today, they were called Druids none the less.
  • Shamanistic Tribal Markings - Prior to the rise of the Holy Light, many ancient Human Tribes had primitive beliefs that were rather crude versions of Shamanism. While their Shaman were nothing like today’s Shamans, they were Shamans none the less.
  • Vrykul Tribal Markings - Given that Humans hailed originally from Northrend’s Vrykul tribes & the Drust are Vrykul themselves. It would be fairly understandable that some Humans (including their Drust counterparts) may wish to decorate their forms in their ancestral markings as a homage to their ancestral roots.

Wolf Cult Themes

• Old Wolf - (Worgen Humans only) The Old Wolf could be seen as a homage to the old Wolf Cult formed by the first Worgen - Alpha Prime, and be seen as one of his old Pack having been reintegrated back into Civilized Society.
  • Bloodfang Wolf - (Worgen Humans only) An alternate style to the Old Wolf, this one able to be based upon those Worgen that were in the Bloodfang Pack.
  • Shadowfang Wolf - (Worgen Humans only) An alternate style to the Old Wolf, this one able to be based upon those Worgen that were in the Shadowfang Pack.
  • Moonrage Wolf - (Worgen Humans only) An alternate style to the Old Wolf, this one able to be based upon those Worgen that were in the Moonrage Pack.
  • Nightbane Wolf - (Worgen Humans only) An alternate style to the Old Wolf, this one able to be based upon those Worgen that were in the Nightbane Pack.

Patriotic Themes

• Stormwind Lion - A simple depiction of a Lion to represent the Kingdom of Stormwind.
  • Kul Tiran Anchor - A simple depiction of a Anchor to represent the Kingdom of Kul Tiras.
  • Gilneas Lances - A simple depiction of three Lances within a circle with bisecting lines to represent the Kingdom of Gilneas.
  • Dalaran Eye - A simple depction of the Dalaran Eye to represent the Kingdom of Dalaran.
  • Stromgarde Fist - A simple depiction of the clenched, Red Gauntlet to represent the Kingdom of Stromgarde.
  • Lordaeron Heraldry - A simple depiction of the Lordaeron Heraldry to represent the Kingdom of Lordaeron.
  • Alterac Eagle - A simple depiction of the Alterac Eagle to represent the Kingdom of Alterac.

There are plenty of different themes and options Blizzard could take. These were just some quick ones I could find that had loreful connections or was able to draw loreful enough inspiration from.

11 Likes

I love stopping by this thread with a cozy beverage and comfy chair just to see how infinitely more creative the common species all us gamers share has gotten overnight :relaxed: :popcorn:

3 Likes

all the customization threads are like this lol

2 Likes

I would just like to see the human faces unlocked from skin colors; that would be a nice start.

2 Likes

I would be interested in visiting wherever the various ethnicities of humans initially came from (if we haven’t already) simply because I think it would be interesting. That may not be a thing at all though considering the overall human origin story in WoW.

That being said, this thread is awesome and you’ve got a lot of good suggestions.

I’d personally like to see some culturally inspired tattoos/paints, such as woad, as well as some beards and jewelry inspired by ancient Babylonia.

You can really do a lot with humans in a fantasy setting and it would be great to see them expand upon that some more.

1 Like

Hey Tamz, loving the tattoo ideas! Now that you mention it, I’m actually surprised that there aren’t Patriotic type tattoo options already. Then again, since Blizzard has only recently done armor and clothing transmogs that really accentuate tattoos on the various bodies, it’s probably a work in progress. Having said that, I believe I’ll surf around for some soon.

Thanks for stopping in, and Hyperspace is correct! We aim to please :slight_smile:

I just got some new editing tools for myself, so I’m going to try my hand at some designs for a number of races soon. I want to start small first, like the tabard designs. I think they’re still on Windows 98

1 Like

I thank you! I’ve gathered a lot of my inspiration based conversations with other participants throughout the forums and in other customization threads. I felt it definitely time to have Humans get some visual additions.

Also, I am 100% with you in desiring a ‘visit’ to other Human cultures in an MMO. To be honest, I’m not sure WoW is that MMO. I’m wary of both Blizzard and the WoW community, but to be very fair, things have gone really well so far, so maybe I’m just being overly concerned.

That said, I’ll see what I have for Babylonian inspired gear and designs, I’m a fan as well.

2 Likes

Hello all! Just one Point of Origin customization idea for tonight, I’ve got a couple of school projects to work on, so gaming comes second :slight_smile:

For now, here’s one of my personal favorite Point of Origin ideas. As usual, click the pics to zoom (well worth it here, and all credit to the creators), and let me know what you think, or share some of your own suggestions. I’ll share a goth set tomorrow!

Duskshire / Gilneas / Bradenbrook (Victorian / Steampunk)

Duskshire Worgen Death Knight, pre-Transformation

Gilnean Reclamation Paladin

Duskshire Nightwatch Hunter

Bradenbrook Nightwatch Priest

(Class Idea!!) Gilnean Tinkerer

(Class Idea!!) Bradenbrook Bard in Training

5 Likes

I wish we had more fade hairstyles. Love the side cuts! The curly hair options look cute! I wish that the sombra hairstyle was available to more races.

I also wish we could pick highlights, something like the troll hairstyles.

4 Likes

Honestly, most hairstyles should be universal. That would add so much more customization to everyone :star_struck:

5 Likes

These are great examples. Through I would love to see more Examples like Hanzo and Genji’s Hairstyle, Yasuo’s, Li Mei from Diablo 3, Miss Fortune from League, Varian, Trevor Belmont, Jaina, and etc Hairstyles, along with the option to have Scars, Hair Color Variety of Pure Red, Light Blonde, Green, Pink, Purple, Blue, Deep Black Hair Coloring, and much more.

I also would love to have the ability to not be a Stormwind Human and should have the subrace option of being a Lordaerian, Alteraci, Stromgardian, or other from the Human Kingdom Subraces to add more Lore and Favor to the Regular Humans.

2 Likes

“PURPLE HAIR, FOR EVERYONE!!!”
/happy grin

1 Like

I agree. Mohawks for everyone! And that sombra haircut.

3 Likes

“I apologize, if this is a stupid question, but, which one is that?”

One of the biggest challenges with introducing diversity into a human race in a fantasy world is that any diversity starts to infringe on the racial uniqueness of the non-human races (gnomes, dwarves, draenai, orcs, etc). Basically all of those non-human races reference existing historical human cultures to help find their place within the fantasy setting (such as Tauren and the Zandalari drawing a lot of inspiration from Native American cultures
 albeit from different eras).

It’s really challenging to prevent bleed-over while preserving uniqueness.

Another challenge is presented by WoW’s own existing Lore. Humans really don’t span far from the Eastern Kingdoms and Kul Tiras. There are slight variations in the existing races, but not much. Humans originating from a singular location would naturally look fairly homogenous over time. There hasn’t really been a multi-generational “melting pot” for humans to congregate in which they all originated from different places.

But if the WoW team can somehow re-examine their own lore and introduce additional backstory in a way that doesn’t muck with existing lore (too much), I could see them pulling this off. Though it would make sense to give similar treatments to other races as well.

They gave night elves the Sombra Haircut. She is a Mexican Hero in Overwatch! Sombra means Shadow in Spanish. Which is why I wanted it at least on Nightborne. I wouldn’t mind other races getting it.

3 Likes

“I like that one. Wish I could rock it on my Human Rogue.”

1 Like

i wanna see if i understand your point correctly. are you saying that having so many different ethnicities in one race is making the other races seem less interesting since they dont have ethnicities, just variants in color? like no asian/african features on other races?

Humans as is true of all races need body sliders!

1 Like

This isn’t a challenge at all. The humans will all have the same backstory. Just because my character may look Mexican doesn’t mean they would come from Zandalar. They’d have the same, backstory as any other human which my preference would be Stormwindian to serve my king, Anduin. There would be no infringing on other themes at all.

It’s a video game. Biology is not gonna work the same as in the real world like come on humans originate from titan constructs. Let there be as much diversity in skin color and facial features as there are in the real world. It’s not even anything consequential. I assure you that if Anduin looked Indian the story would not change at all.

3 Likes