Huge nerf to solo/outdoor gear progression in DF Season 1

What are you talking about?

“Gear check”? You might need to group up to go into Perdition’s Hold… but that content is specifically marked as GROUP CONTENT.

Jeez. People actually thinking that anything in the world DESERVES to be soloable in bad gear with poor skill… its insane.

3 Likes

I blame streaming.

“I saw Johnny Streamer go and solo this thing, I should be able to do it, too.”

1 Like

I would be perfectly content with what I get gear wise, if Blizz didn’t screw up scaling with legacy content, then tell me to just wait and get better gear. If that is the fix, then I will naturally ask for that better gear so I can get back to farming legacy content like I was.

6 Likes

I tested it out in systemlands beta. You could not do MAW 'solo" content in world quest gear.

I took fully upgraded PVP gear into the MAW and it was reasonable. Fully upgrded honor PVP gear season 1 was equivalent to heroic dungeon/normal raiding gear.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

3 Likes

This. It was literally your argument as a justification for nerfing open world gear (as it would relate in instanced content).

Be consistent.

4 Likes

Legacy content is fine, with the exception how Legion got all messed up because of the level squish.

Of course, we WARNED everyone that the level squish would be a disaster, but folks kept cheering it on anyway because they’re terrified of numbers above 99.

3 Likes

Exactly.

Scaling is the big problem that is very punishing in open world content at max level and in old legacy raids.

6 Likes

doesn’t read anything beyond OP

There better be 0 game modes outside of M+, Raids or PvP that requires gear, and open-world gear better be very good for the open world.

That means no Torghast-like feature, unless it has its own gear progression mechanism.

Being forced to gear up in Raid/M+/PvP just to run high levels of Torghast was a stupid and terrible thing.

This is a huge glaring problem too that very likely turn the initial part of my post from “better have nothing outside of raids/m+/pvp tied to gear” to “nevermind, there’s no hope at all.”

3 Likes

A lot of PVE players in season 1 of systemlands did do PVP because the ilevel of gear rewarded was better than:

• World quest gear
  • Normal dungeons
  • Heroic dungeons
  • LFR

Also PVP gear in season 1 was more deterministic too.

Bottom line is the difficulty has to match the rewards or else you end up with odd situations like season 1 of Systemlands where PVE players were forced into PVP.

3 Likes

Problem with modern WoW is that in most cases the rewards are far in excess of the (lack of) difficulty.

(Something they’re trying to address by stretching out the gear curve in M+ in Dragonflight, btw.)

2 Likes

To be fair, there’s no need to do Jailer Gauntlet beyond level 4 so they learned their lesson to some degree.

In DF there is no Torghast though. The open-world “Torghast” content can be zerged down with a group of players. It also has its own unique set bonuses that open-world players can enjoy (note that open-world players will still be able to get tier through LFR).

Sounds like you should be happy to grind in DF. You won’t be though, “casuals” seem to always find something to whine about - either too much to do (9.1) or too little to do (9.0).

:+1:

Which is a good thing. I’m hoping this endless war between Raider and M+er can end soon, it’s kind of cringe if I’m being completely honest.

Torghast was clearly designed with gear checks in mind. But at least it was transparent about it so I have no complaints about it on my end.

But with Torghast you could run it undergeared and still perform because of the anima powers.

There is no such thing in open world content like the Maw. The Maw is straight up a gear check.

2 Likes

lol this always makes me laugh. PvE’rs “had” to PvP for one season and everybody lost their mind.

Meanwhile PvP’rs had to PvE for two whole XPacs. :violin:

It’s going to remain an issue until they deal with the lockout disparity.

True but it is what is.

Fully upgraded PvP gear in season 1 was 197, which is the same as the covenant set which was also 197.

Or, here me out, we can have different routes of content to get gear

6 Likes

Yeah. I’m confused what this guy is talking about. You could 197 gear pretty much “for free” via the campaign. It almost invalidated Normal as a raid tier, and then in 9.1 Normal was actually invalidated as a raid tier when open-world rewarded Heroic ilvl (big, big kekw by the way).

Yeah, if you tried to tackle an elite with ilvl 130 you might be in trouble but like… don’t do that? Lol.

1 Like

I paid $5 for it and I have free gametime! I win, Blizzard loses!

I didn’t say I tested with covenant gear. I used world quest gear to see the difference and the MAW is clearly a gear check.

1 Like