Huge nerf to solo/outdoor gear progression in DF Season 1

Again, I’m talking about world content (things like soulshapes, ember court, abomination factory, rares/toys/pets, special events, etc.), but people around here only care about gear.

^ This is spot-on.

Yep!

1 Like

Cool.

So let’s just knock down those raiding gear ilvls when you come back into the open world. You know, since you are progressing/participating in instanced content.

13 Likes

BlizZard has made doing old raids a pain without above average gear at max level. This is not the player’s fault but a BlizZard design failure.

This is because of a horrid scaling system put in place at max level and in old raids.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

7 Likes

The horrid scaling system that exists in outdoor content is a big driver for people complaining about the gear awarded from world quests is garbage.

11 Likes

Like good like doing MAW content with only world quest gear at the start of systemlands.

Not the player’s fault that BlizZard designs world content that can only be tackled with normal/heroic ilevel in terms of gear.

6 Likes

I imagine that this will not go over well. Blizzard did this last time with Korthia and reverted the change by the end of the week.

1 Like

Imagine if Timeless Isle was part of world content at the start of MoP and you were tasked with tackling the content with season 1 gear from MoP.

That would be dumb design right?

That is exactly what they did with systemlands and the maw.

World quest gear is satisfactory for doing world quests in the four covenenat zones. But once you are in the maw throw that out the window.

I tested this in beta and I laughed out loud that BlizZard expects people with world quest gear to do MAW content…

7 Likes

Right.

What people are not understanding is that since Legion BlizZard has put in some steep scaling curves for NPCs in terms of HP.

Only way to beat that is with primary stat scaling which is higher ilevel gear.

BlizZard’s problems could go away with removing the dumb scaling they are using. Sure over geared players in M+ or raiding gear would blow right through the world content like a breeze. But that content isn’t designed for their gear level.

So BlizZard’s “compromise” is to add in scaling which slow down over geared players for world content.

But the downside is that it is very punitive to players trying to gear for the content intended for them (eg world quest players). Throw in inferior gear rewards and it is a recipe for disaster.

10 Likes

BFA had horrid scaling but at least there was avenues for decent gear outside of instanced content.

Systemlands had major issues with that as the gear acquisition was throttled back across the board.

And the horrid scaling remained.

With the removal of rental systems my HOPE is that the scaling will not be too severe. That way you do not need normal or heroic ilevel gear to do world content in DF.

5 Likes

You can thank the wackos who kept saying they wanted world content to take longer, for that.

Most people think scaling is a terrible idea. But Blizzard caved in to the incessant screaming of the “I want leveling to take a really really really really long time, and for it to STILL take a long time to get anything done in the open world at max level!” crowd.

The moment that a few people started in with the “trivial world content needs to take way longer!” nonsense, a lot of us responded with… what, are you insane? Take off some gear if you want it to take longer, but leave the rest of us out of it.

Unfortunately, Blizzard caved in to them. For reasons the rest of us will never understand.

3 Likes

Why is that? Those players worked hard and earned their gear. Equality in opportunity does not mean equality in outcomes.

Well the problem is that it takes too long to do world content now and BlizZard can’t award heroic ilevel gear for time invested doing world content. So BlizZard is in a tough situation.

I always viewed world content as being simple to do and simple rewards.

Like the PVP analogy is that honor gear is supposed to be fast, fun and easy to pick up but lower in ilevel.

3 Likes

If all your doing is open world content, you dont need ilvls past even heroic dungeons

Ion continues his failed idea that if we can just push casual players into Raiding or Mythic+ they will magically become hardcore players. Shame it’s failed over and over and he can’t see that.

8 Likes

I agree to an extent.

But the problem is the scaling is in place and that is the BIG PROBLEM. Scaling makes it difficult to do the content if you don’t have heroic level gear.

6 Likes

There is no world content in the game that requires raid gear.

Unless you mean difficult elites meant for multiple people that some specs (mainly tanks) can solo?

1 Like

The MAW is a gear check honestly.

Not more dangerous.

Can’t ask players in world quest gear to tackle MAW content.

5 Likes

As long as scaling exists normal/heroic ilevel gearing is going to be the new normal and mendoza line for doing world content.

That is how BlizZard has designed it. That is the new normal.

5 Likes

Yeah doing things like handing out tier gear to world content-only players along with better and better gear is totally indicative that that’s exactly what they’re thinking.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

I mean you saying it doesn’t make it true.

No world content that has existed has ever required raid gear to do.

1 Like