Huge nerf to solo/outdoor gear progression in DF Season 1

LFR is reading story mode
World content is interactive story mode

LFR can be replaced by youtube vids, World content not as easily.

To put it another way, both are story mode, but LFR is storymode after it is written, one can at least write their own story with world content.

I think to me as long as that ilvl caps at a level where the player feels strong in the open world that player won’t notice. I personally don’t do LFR or raiding it’s too boring and gate keepy, but I think thats where Wow’s competitor shines. In FFXIV I can play casually and work towards gearing in a way I actually want to. Granted that games LFR gear is better so it’s kinda the same thing. I don’t know, but the heavy rng of Wow’s gearing is why I do not participate in it.

It also doesn’t help that system lands was so complicated that casuals just abandoned the game because Blizzard has no idea what a casual player is.

3 Likes

I was going to make a thread a bout mythic+ and open world player gear but i just say my thoughts here.

My advice to open world player is if you want gear just do low level mythic+ its not that hard. I was once all heroic dungeon gear and almost quit the game because i have anxiety of doing group content raids and mythic+ but one day randomly a guild invited me to guild.

I still remember my first mythic+ dungeon it was lower karazhan 4 it took us an hour to complete. I didnt get gear after dungeon but i learned alot dungeon mechanics and had fun. till this day lower karazhan has been my fav dungeon

So my advice is just do low level mythic if you want better gear it is easy

1 Like

No it hasnt! Up until SL we had the chance at titanforged, warforged and whatnot! In DF we have a chance at just plain crap gear that isnt worth the time investment.

Open world game play in DF is a bust, and the decline in sales, and in players at the launch will bear that out! I know at least 20 players that will not be buying DF because of the total lack of gear progression. What they just did to invasion gear is criminal!!!

5 Likes

you get set effects out of it …

Stormsigils have Gear progression?
you start with Blue Gear and can upgrade to purple

As long as the rewards aren’t comparable to the rewards from challenging group content, fine. but the core of wow is the social game, typically guild based but also now community and friend-list-based. Rewarding trivial solo content with gear comparable to rewards from challenging group content will reduce how appealing group/social content is and I don’t want solo players to be catered to at the cost of the core social player.

Gating rewards behind group content is the way to go so that more and more like minded solo players find each other and get into the group game.

Then why don’t you do your part to encourage more socialization, invite players to join you in your precious group content instead of relying on daddy Blizz to nerf other players content in an effort to force it. You are just as capable of making a change as a player that is a part of the community. I know you won’t though, you will see those players as below you and don’t want actually try and improve it.

5 Likes

Not at all. I invite solo players (including you, if you like) to join me in group content. I just don’t want solo rewards buffed to be competitive with rewards from challenging group play because group play is more important in this MMO and I don’t want to risk the social binds in wow to weaken because solo players want mRaid gear from tortollan quests.

So where were the rewards from it? A single gem socket? Be still my beating heart. For all those saying content should be difficult for better rewards, they sure don’t have anything to say when Blizzard doesn’t actually put any rewards in that content.

Tell me, for example, how someone is supposed to progress in Torghast without gear from another source. Your “challenging solo content” is just ancillary side fluff for people who are already geared.

4 Likes

if blizz made the Maw or Torghast actually rewarding the screams of protest would deafen everyone.

Except they aren’t asking for mythic raid gear, the rewards were only normal raid level, and they had nerfed the rate at which you could grind with an increased Storm Sigil cost as well as needing the blue quality version before you could get the epic version. I didn’t agree with that nerf, but I understood why Blizz did it, now that they nerfed the ilvl of it, they should revert to the previous currency levels and aquisition method.

Also, would like to ask where was all of your complaining before the nerfs, nowhere, only after the nerfs, and players asking why and calling Blizz on it do you and others like you show up to praise Blizz.

You are just like the anti-fly crowd, only after Blizz made it an issue did they come out of the woodwork to start arguments.

10 Likes

Competitive players (or players who are trying really hard to be competitive) are probably more likely to buy tokens, but on the whole casual players are the ones paying the bills because of the fact that WoW is still a subscription-based game and casual players make up the vast majority.

Blizzard will never admit this, but they do make official announcements about expansion box sales and monthly MAUs, and it is quite clear that the majority of WoW players did not stick around for Shadowlands endgame despite buying the expansion and leveling to 60.

Power progression is a tenet of Classic RPG design.

Did you think that MMOs like EverQuest and WoW were the games that pioneered concepts like levels, attributes/stats, experience, and damage points?

If you never get any stronger no matter how many times you fight the same enemies or stronger enemies, that is more typical of an action game, not an RPG.

I would say a lot of people are in the same boat as you, whether on the spectrum or not. PuGging can be a nightmare.

Many people raided with their guilds up until Wrath, but starting in Cata we saw more and more guilds and servers empty out as the game population started decreasing. And WoW devs also started catering to the elitists and made Heroic dungeons and raids less pug friendly. It was a double whammy…. no wonder raid metrics dropped so low that devs had to introduce LFR.

Open world content players do want to do actual content to earn gear upgrades. That content just happens to be quests, rares, or treasures. And they would prefer to have a stopping point eventually instead of a never-ending gear upgrade system.

As much as you speak of game design, you are failing to understand the most basic tenet of MMORPG design: Any MMO including WoW needs to incentivize time spent on repetitious content in order to encourage players to play for the long term, because it’s not feasible to have new content available every week. Think about it.

You are obsessed with the idea of only skilled players having access to gear progression through challenging content, but no MMORPG will live to see its first expansion if it refuses to offer progression for players willing to do easier content on a long-term basis.

There is absolutely no reason why not.

By the time open world players can earn even one piece of the Primalist Invasion gear, hardcore players will already be decked out in Heroic or Mythic iLvl in nearly all slots.

The best gear will still be from the most challenging content. But the gap doesn’t need to be multiple content patches wide just to make the hardcore players feel more validated.

Why did it bother you so much? Your gear was still better. The highest solo and open world players were ever able to get was Heroic in BfA (with the exception of Titanforging).

The game reached its peak sub count when Heroic dungeons were spammable by the unwashed masses for raid gear.

Both. The game is dying because WoW devs are catering to only the top 1%.

Because most of the covenant activities didn’t award gear progression.

A season is equivalent to 26 item levels. So LFR being 39 seasons behind Mythic is a season and a half. I did not make that up.

And you seem to be taking my quote out of context. I never suggested that LFR being the lowest raiding iLvl is a problem. The issue is that open world players are getting nerfed significantly—for the second expansion in a row.

LFR will always be there for people who hate world content and want to get some starter gear in raid content. Letting world content rewards go up to Normal for dedicated open world players does not diminish LFR in any way.

FFXIV grew its active population in the same time frame when WoW was losing players.

If WoW wants to grow, it needs to make gearing more deterministic. Also, it could do away with LFR as a difficulty and make Normal raids queue-able and more PuG-friendly.

So you don’t do the challenging group content because you enjoy it? You do it to lord higher iLvl gear over the unwashed masses, and a smaller gap wouldn’t be enough of an incentive?

I agree with solo player rewards being slightly below group content rewards, but I refuse to be multiple seasons in power levels behind.

Some solo players want to stay solo players. You need to understand that this is a large player demographic and WoW has lost millions of subs in its efforts to convert them.

This is exactly it. The Maw 9.0 was challenging but flopped hard because it didn’t offer the power progression that it required.

I could hardly find anyone willing to do Maw weeklies with me and had to solo elites in Perdition Hold. People would have flocked to the Maw if it offered gear upgrades, however.

16 Likes

Depends on your definition of “casual”. We have had this debate countless times on the forums and no one can agree.

Some people say casuals are all based on time commitment. They play a limited amount of time, but can and do play challenging content.

Meanwhile, some people say casuals don’t engage in end-game content at all.

There are also 100 other variations of these. The term “casuals” to broadly define any portion of the population is a losing argument because it has no definition.

Give me a primary source announcing MAU and box sales.

They should just get rid of LFR all together and move it’s reward levels to open world.

4 Likes

Would be fine with this as well. Everyone wins, the anti-lfr crowd gets what they want, open world players get what they want, and Blizz doesn’t have to balance open world rewards against LFR and worry about making one or the other pointless.

1 Like

Blizz is notorious for give and take. Oh you liked something in the game? Let’s remove it for no reason that worked for people.

9 Likes

Idk, people complain about all aspects of the game. Just look at the M+er’s, they’re having a meltdown right now. Doesn’t stop blizz/devs from making or changing content.

I dont believe this “vast majority” claim. We have heard it for a decade and the game still keeps on a-tickin.

Either that, or everyone in this vast majority have been living on breadcrumbs this whole time… which is insane

World content gear SHOULD be bad. Crafted gear won’t be that expensive. We can’t just make this profession gear adequate AND let world content gear be even remotely competitive or no one will do professions.

Use world content for what it’s designed-- filler and gold. It’s not a system designed with the idea of fully equipping a character.

It would be one thing if the world gear itself capped out but one was still able to use professions, and things gathered from WORLD CONTENT to push their gar farther. Think more like the gear from the world content caps out where it does, at LFR level, but the rewards from the invasions, exploring, etc include the harder to farm/find mats that will be used to boost the crafted gear up to normal, heroic, or early mythic ilvl.

2 Likes