Huge nerf to solo/outdoor gear progression in DF Season 1

I mean that was kind of the problem though, wasn’t it? That meant less content for open world players to do because it was essentially time gated. You couldn’t even just hang out and do stuff in The Maw for fun.

1 Like

The maw was meant to be hell, not a place you went for fun, but a place you went to in hope of poking the bear (jailer) and getting out before it ate you.

Oh, I saw others too. I was fully in that court as well that having characters locked to a specific covenant was stupid. But Blizzard made it clear early they fully intended to be harddonkeys about it, so I shrugged and walked away since at least I have alts and figured I’d be able to see it anyhow.

Of course this expansion was obnoxious for alts also, which is yet one more way Blizzard is shooting themselves in the foot since alts are a great time waster… but make it too ridiculously time consuming to goof with them and that time waster goes out the window fast.

Yes. But this is also A GAME and so as foolish as it sounds, unless you make hell fun, people aren’t going to want to play it. They decided to go full on, hard core, miserable, this is what hell would be like, and since we’re NOT actually trapped there, we logically stopped going.

7 Likes

And the worst part? Venari explains to you exactly that, in almost exactly those words.

And people just didn’t listen to her.

Right, but keep in mind it was still the end game zone for solo/open world content players. To say it was not a place you went to for fun and you’re not supposed to actually spend much time there seems cool from a lore perspective, but not great from a game design perspective. You’re supposed to give the feeling aesthetically that you’re in hell, the gameplay itself should not feel like hell. You know, like Diablo.

8 Likes

You mean in addition to: the covenant stories, the max level WQs, the world bosses, and everything else in areas that you were MEANT to spend time in, say getting to know your covenant and how they worked in the SHadowlands?

Again, people wanted to treat the maw as if it was a normal endgame zone, when for release up to Korthia, it was more we went there to get someone out, scout around or do some damage and get out before we got caught. The kind of fun for the Maw at first might be more akin to the fun some have with ding dong ditch. Or maybe the same kind of fun people have with games like MGS. It was not made with the “go in, guns blazing” audience in mind, it was made more for the ones who wanted more stealth and surgical strike type play.

Fite me lfr heros, our Battle shall be legendary :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

We were perfectly capable of going into the maw, killing most of the rares, doing all of the dailies, and even all of that week’s weeklies, in a single session.

You could spend plenty of time in the Maw if you wanted to.

IF you listened to Venari.

Did that, all it took was avoiding combat as much as possible and making use of the upgrades Ve’nari had, like the budget flight points between 2 areas. So, again, the only ones that thought the game was awful were those that thought they could go in, kill everything, and be fine.

They should have had a numerical tracker for the jailer hate, though. You had to use a weakaura to get the exact number.

Blizzard is too focused on the artistic beauty of their UI and not enough on giving good information for gameplay purposes.

2 Likes

The eye was enough for me, but I could see at least a mouse over display of how much hate you had or a numerical display of how much hate you had till the next level.

If it takes people forever to do open world content it’s not going to be fun and people will end up not playing as much as they’d like.

Though if open world gear is as good as LFR…what is the point of LFR? What’s the solution here? I’m scratching my head.

Not sure what you want, if those players only ever intend to play solo without ever joining premade groups they why would they want/need rewards higher than the content that they do want to engage in?

What is the value in even having LFR as a difficulty if all of your outside rewards are higher, more frequently obtained, and easier accessed than LFR rewards?

The design of BfA with heroic rewards was absolutely poorly implemented. They might as well have deleted normal and LFR raid difficulties as they served no actual purpose in game.

So unless you are suggesting that heroic be the lowest raid difficulty, then solo world rewards need to be lower in comparison. It’s just plain logic.

^ this

What do you expect it to be? Higher?
LFR is the lowest difficulty, of course it’s going to be the lowest.
Also I don’t know how you made up the whole “a full season and a half” nonsense. LFR literally is the benchmark for the lower end of the season.
It’s physically impossible to have more than a full season of difference because LFR gear → Mythic end boss gear is literally equal to one season of item progression.

2 Likes

then it should of been nerfed more - No open world content gear should be even close to raid level . if you dont raid you dont need the higher gear . what do you want to do -kill a world mob in 0.5 seconds instead of 1 second ?

just another way to keep ya playin.

as opposed to people saying they have nothing to do ?

rip to reeeeee

LFR should really be story mode, world content should, as LFR is currently designed, provide better gear.

You want to change my mind, then LFR needs the following changes:
Determination removed
Dying early in the fight=no loot for you
Low activity=no loot for you
Dying to obvious mechanics=no loot for you

I am not saying world content is hard, but it at least takes a bit more work then LFR for any that treat treat LFR as “AFK for free loot”. Unless the attention to do LFR is the same as it is to do world content (not saying world content takes much) then why should LFR provide equal or better loot then world content?

I can get wanting LFR to be relevant, but it will only be the biggest headache in the game as long as people can get away with ignoring mechanics, or not even reading the dungeon journal, and getting loot for more or less being a big papoose for the rest of the group to carry

Let’s be real: you go from killing it with 2 spells, to killing it with 2 spells and 20% overkill.

LFR is story mode …
World content is mainly story mode…

why do they need different Ilvl?