Huge nerf to solo/outdoor gear progression in DF Season 1

When has open world progression ever been about gear? Progression in the open world has largely consisted of gaining rep, earning mounts/pets/transmogs, unlocking special bonuses or additional content, etc. And that’s the way it’s been for several expansions.

I do open world content for the sake of immersing myself in outdoor zones and pursuing all the things I listed above. Not for gear. That’s just a side bonus. Surely I’m not the only one? I just find it hard to believe that people would not do open-world content simply due to gear having a lower ilvl. If the content itself is fun, people will participate. If not for the gear itself, then for all of the other goodies that you’ll be able to get.

3 Likes

No matter how casual you are, you have the same access to the 3 pillars of the game. You can interact with all of them as much or as little as possible, the progression is there for every single WoW player, is on you not Blizzard if you decide to shut yourself out of the actual content the game offers.

At some point, some people need to realize they just dont like the game if they dont enjoy the content that has been Blizzard focus for the last +10 years. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I do open world stuff for rep, cosmetics, and gold. Or when I’m bored and don’t feel like looking for a group for something…or don’t have the time. It’s usually a decent way to get alts up to speed as well.

I don’t see any of that changing just because the final rewards are LFR level instead of Normal.

1 Like

I was mentioning to the guild today:

I’m currently:

• Farming up 750 anima-touched weapon fragments for necrolords
  • Still doing unity dailies and stitchyard quests to get more transmog
  • Continuing with ember court and trying to get the stuff from that for The Party Herald
  • Working on queen’s conservatory with divine spirits still (which I get from The Maw)
  • Heading back to zereth mortis to get more drops and protoforge stuff from there
  • Finishing up with collecting more battle pets
  • Still missing a handful of rare-drop mounts/pets/toys

And I’m working on all of that.

But I WON’T be doing any more Kyrian vehicle combat. No thank you. :laughing:

2 Likes

You are not the only one, I and others are likely with you as well. The thing is, gear is the only incentive that seems to get people to try content in the first place, and they don’t care about the mounts/mogs/pets. Some might go for those if, when getting the gear, they found the content fun but many equate gear to fun, or gear is the goal not a tool.

I am one that think world quest gear needs, at most, tweaked, but I also know that to get people involved in it, it has to provide gear as the dang carrot. This is a double edged sword as if it provides gear up to a decent level, raiders will feel like they have to do it even if the rate is glacier speed compared to raiding, yet if it does not, people will lose interest in it and complain about nothing to do even if there are other rewards.

Have all but one piece from stichyard, should start doing unity dailies on all 4 of my necors.

Party herald would be nice but working on getting the mogs

Ended that

Have everthing I can get on my main, just missing one of the mount that takes a drop from raid.

I still feel the Kyrain would have been better either as a mage tower successor, with the player doing the trials, or the player worked with the soulbind to get them through the trials.

1 Like

This is all still based on your own biased opinion not founded on any factual data. Like I said, only Blizzard has the data and statistics which is steering them in a particular direction. Whether you like it or not. People claiming “casuals pay the bills” is 100% an assumption that is unbased.

1 Like

The entirety of doing Path of Ascension for the Veilstrider title, I just kept thinking… “Can I just fight it myself? That would be much more efficient.”

I am convinced at this point they have boosters making choices for them harder gear obtainability in M+ and overworld? They want people to not have a choice but to buy tokens.

4 Likes

Gear progression is the goal for many players. It is the single most universal motivator. WoW devs realize this fact and utilize gear rewards (or the lack thereof) to manipulate players into doing (or not doing) content.

Season 4’s very existence hinged upon getting players to do old content by offering gear upgrades.

The boosting market wouldn’t exist if people didn’t want the gear.

Mission tables are gone in DF, and we haven’t seen callings pop up yet. Gold income seems to be nerfed in order to get people doing professions or buying WoW tokens for gold.

Progression for many players is always about gear.

Open world progression through gear upgrades was completely possible in Legion and BfA, but saw nerfs in SL, and will see even greater nerfs in DF.

Many players do not have the gameplay skills or social disposition to do the three pillars.

It is most certainly on Blizzard for removing the power progression aspect of endgame for solo and open world players in effort to boost metrics for the three pillars

Assumptions can be based on facts. The numerical evidence from third-party sources as well as Blizzard itself is there but you still deny it because it threatens to shatter your delusions about WoW devs being right.

Just let me ask you this: Do you think that Shadowlands was successful, either from a game design perspective or from a sub number perspective?

And by the way, casuals paying the bills is a well known fact in the gaming industry, unless it is a pay-to-win game and a small percentage of whales are keeping it afloat.

WoW devs are treating WoW like it is kept afloat by appeasing the top 1%, which is why they keep blundering and sub numbers keep dropping.

3 Likes

Yes, but you don’t have the facts to base your assumption on. Unless you work for Blizzard and have access to data that we do not.

API data is limited.

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed Shadowlands.

Source? This is your opinion you are trying to pass off as fact. It is highly more likely that non-casual players are paying the bills because they are the ones buying the most tokens to purchase consumables.

Then role-playing games aren’t for them.

And they could have at least given callings, or the Korthia weekly, the same treatment they gave the world bosses, even if it was not as high.

Because it is usually the most tangible, yet also the most temporary.

I am decently skilled, but my social skills are low, likely partly because I am on the spectrum, I can do great in a set group once we know how each other play but toss me in a PuG and I either shine or get chewed out to no end.

The thing is, MMORPGs tend to be a mishmash of other genres, like gear progression is a good goal for adventure games or games with RPG elements that are not, technically, RPGs themselves. But then I am one that, if not on the first play through, later on, went after secret or hidden bosses (Ozma in FFIX for instance) or tried to find the hidden dungeons, sure gear was in them or a reward from them, but it was often not needed to beat the game.

1 Like

Gear has to have a purpose: To overcome harder challenges.

Suppose there was a Gear Dispensing Machine in the starting area, and every day it spit out a piece of gear that was 5 item levels higher than what you have now. To the “gear is the point” crowd, that would be compelling gameplay. To the rest of us, it’s absurd.

There’s a reason vanilla-like private servers had more players and better player retention over those that had loot vendors, or so I heard. Seems more people enjoy progression, overcoming challenges, and being rewarded for them.

2 Likes

It’s an adventure game.

People want to have adventures.

1 Like

Suppose there was open world content where you fight elite mobs and you can earn a max of 4 pieces of currency per week from this content, eventually taking about a month to buy a single piece of gear with that currency that is the same ilvl as Normal raid gear. To the majority of players, that would be compelling gear progression. To you, it’s absurd.

The time it takes to do content should also match the rewards it gives.

1 Like

It’s not absurd if the gear rewards are commensurate to the difficulty.

No. Killing ten million mice should not give higher rewards than killing fifty.

That’s essentially what is happening in DF, except it will be LFR tier.

So fishing should reward Mythic raid ilvl gear? This is the most absurd and frequently used argument. Let me go fish for a few hours and I should be rewarded for my time.

You are, you get rewarded with fish and fishing related content, because you are fishing and progressing in fishing. Why shouldn’t you be rewarded with gear for fighting elite mobs over the span of a month?

3 Likes

You are, by getting LFR equivalent loot for not even having to join group-instanced content. Why should they get anything higher than that?