HUGE June 10th Alpha Build Changes

Mama mia, see full post:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-warlock-class-changes/490693

TLDR:

• Fel Domination returned, 3 min CD that makes pet cast time .5 seconds
  • Curse of Doom removed for Aff/Destro, now only Demo
  • Curse of Exhaustion returned, 50% slow for 8 seconds, baseline for all
  • Shadows Embrace baseline for Affliction, Shadow Embrace Talent replaced with Dark Caller, passive reducing CD of Darkglare by 1 minute
  • UA reverted to being spammable, but no longer amplifies damage
  • UA damage backlash amplified “substantially” (will have to wait for testers to test)
  • UA gets an additional 5 seconds of duration at level 56 (EXPERIMENTAL CHANGE)
  • Corruption for Affliction now damages on cast at level 54
  • Affliction Death Bolt Talent replaced with Inevitable Demise, which is the BFA Azerite Trait made into a Talent
  • Nightfall changed to proc more with more corruptions
  • Deathbolt now a PVP Talent
  • Tongue Tied removed (thank the Lord), replaced with RETURNED HOWL OF TERROR: 1.5 cast with 40 sec CD fearing 5 targets within 10 yards for 20 seconds
  • Demonology now has Doom exclusively, damage increased, they’re probably gonna keep tweaking it
  • Some PVP talent changes otherwise, related to the above talents now becoming PVP

Edit:

Issues that are still present/new issues:

• Doom still sucks, should probably get that Doomguard bit removed and reverted to MoP or WoD Doom.
  • Demonology’s Felguard vs Interrupt problem given the Felguard-specificity of two of our most commonly taken talents
  • cast time on Howl of Terror smh

Edit 2:

UPDATE now that alpha is up again

• Doom is now strictly a talent, 20 second tick, moderate damage, doesn’t proc anything (just generate a soul shard), doomguard tooltip removed, nice
  • Corruption damage on cast is Affliction only
  • Malefic Rapture got a new animation that LOOKS like Malefic Grasp old animation but a low rez version that you now shoot out at each target within range afflicted by a DoT
11 Likes

Really glad they made these changes to afflicition, they were much needed.

I guess they’ll get to destro & demo soon.

3 Likes

we can multidot again pogpogpog. the affliction changes are actually a really good sign here at first glance. will discuss with some folks and have a more thought on response tomorrow.

PS - get your nightfae alts ready

1 Like

I am SO happy about these affliction changes. I finally feel comfortable moving forward with this class into Shadowlands. Affliction is my favorite spec, I am happy that it is finally not going to be in the doghouse as much.

2 Likes

I am glad we atleast have some info on classes but I think we all wanted changes to be focused around demo and destro over affliction, If they are at the class tuning phase for the alpha I except to see those changes or else its going to be back to the doom and gloom factory for everyone.

Biggest positive here is Fel Domination has returned and the removal of cod and replaced with curse of exhaustion for aff/destro. The nightfall change should have happened in bfa but its nice that we’ll be able to shoot shadow bolts again.

The Doom comments (“we love doom but”) means they’re probably reworking it

Cool for afflocks. Really hoping they somehow address the glaring issues with Demo though… Surely next week haha…

5 Likes

I’m hopeful Demonolgy is going to get some serious attention within the month. It looks like they’re going spec-by-spec instead of class-by-class.

Affy really wasn’t feeling great, mechanically speaking. The same devs who made these changes need to play Demo for a week or two, and i’m sure they can do some serious work.

3 Likes

They dont love doom as much as they think they doom!

Honestly changing doom to be actually beneficial to all 3 spec is not hard to doom (ok i’ll stop). Shortening it to 30 secs instead of 60 would be a good start but how about giving us a guaranteed enslaved doom guard that comes enslaved or giving us a full 5 soul shards after it goes off. To think that they “love” doom and yet do nothing with it, I am sure that quote was thrown in there for sh!ts n giggles to make light of a bad situation.

3 Likes

Still not giving demonology a kick? /sigh

6 Likes

Still disagree with the the summoning time change, it makes no sense unless they are planning other updates.

Ok, I dont play aff, but from outside it seems weird. Wouldnt it be better to have both UA and Rapture to have a shard cost, have UA be a single target only high damage dot and Rapture being AOE. It would cause you to pick what you want to use your resources on.

Still holding out for demo.

With how many dots aff has, you will already be making a choice of keeping fewer dots up across many targets or all of them on a few targets to decide how your rapture damage spreads out. Limiting UA to one target is also terrible for pvp.

Super excited to have exhaustion back. Even nicer surprise that it’s open to all specs.

2 Likes

I disagree if UA did enough damage to be considered a “nuke”. Healing has always been the problem. Maybe have UA absorb healing like what they wanted with tongues? But thats putting far to much on UA, though it shows the flaws of dot specs.

And I am worried what the pvp applications of exhaustion will be… low duration? lower % slow? Worried that we will get another watered down version of an ability.

Hey friends can someone reply to my last reply in the Shadowlands Compiled Feedback thread so I can let everyone know once I get around to updating the feedback?

I think UA doing what UA has always done is perfectly fine. It punishes dispels and can be spread to entire teams. There’s no need to change something that works.

Exhaustion at 50% slow is already more powerful than it’s ever been, except for a short while at the start of Cata. A ranged spammable 50% slow is kind of a big deal. A short duration is the drawback to that.

Exactly, a ranged spammable slow is likely to get the nerfbat. I was just speculating where it will end up.

Eh, DRs are pretty heavy nowadays, don’t think it’ll be too bad. Worst case scenario they’ll add a debuff like “you can’t exhaust the target for x seconds”

thanks nataku re: replying to the compiled feedback thread

Slows don’t DR. Exhaustion was fine as a 30% slow, but everyone has so much more mobility now that a 50% slow may not need a nerf at all.

3 Likes

I didnt think pet summoning needed a nerf but here we are. Hey, ill take it if they dont nerf it. We are some of the least mobile in the game, so we cant take full effect of it, but i can see affliction running rampant.

Nice they are listening…to a point…but it almost ignores all the issues with demonology still. Here is hoping for more in the future though.

3 Likes