Updated July 8
Thanks for all of the detailed feedback! While there are still some planned changes coming for Warlock, we’ve made a few recently that you should be seeing in the Alpha:
- Agony base damage increased by 12%.
- Inevitable Demise increases Drain Life’s damage by 12% per stack (was 5%).
- Axe Toss now interrupts stun immune targets, such as dungeon or raid bosses. This does not affect PvP combat.
- Soulfire damage increased by 40%.
- Infernals summoned from Rain of Chaos no longer trigger Infernal Awakening.
- Rain of Chaos Infernals now have some bad luck protection built in. Chance also increased to 20% (was 15%).
For Warlock, we’re focused on improving talent choices for Destruction and Demonology, as well as adding rewards for leveling up. In particular, we’d like there to be more viable builds for these specs to experiment with. This led to changes for the highly popular talents Demonic Consumption and Grimoire of Supremacy. Please continue posting your feedback on these changes in this thread. Thank you!
- Demonic Gateway no longer despawns when the caster dies. When the gateway is close to despawning, it begins dissolving out of view to warn the caster and allies that they may wish to replace it.
- Developers’ notes: We’ve heard feedback that the routine of replacing your Demonic Gateway for each boss attempt can be tedious to the point of irritating. We’ve made a change that allows the gateway to persist through death and we’ll be listening for feedback on this change.
- Unstable Affliction reverted to Limit 1. Spell coefficient reverted to its previous amount.
- Developers’ notes: Even without picking talents like Siphon Life and Phantom Singularity, Affliction was unable to keep up with their dots being active on more than 3 targets. Unstable Affliction should now be used on your priority target, which causes Malefic Rapture to do increased damage to that target.
- Haunt now applies Shadow Embrace.
- Soulshatter grants Soul Shards equal to the number of targets hit, instead of Haste.
- Malignant Affliction is a new PvP talent. Unstable Affliction is no longer limited to 1 target, but deals 10% less damage. If your Unstable Affliction is dispelled, you instantly gain 15% haste for 10s.
- Developers’ notes: With Unstable Affliction now at limit 1, we want to provide an avenue for a Warlock to be able to protect their dots on multiple targets, particularly in battlegrounds.
Summon Infernal (Rank 2) is learned at level 52. Infernal Awakening deals 150% increased damage on impact.
Havoc (Rank 2) is learned at level 54. Havoc duration is increased by 2 sec.
Rain of Fire (Rank 2) is learned at level 56. Rain of Fire damage is increased by 30%.
Level 15 Row
- Soulfire is now a 4 second cast. Damage increased from 100% spell power to 300% spell power. 1 minute cooldown. Causes your next Incinerate to be instant cast and generates 1 Soul Shard.
- Developers’ notes: This spell hadn’t found a niche as an additional short cast time spell. It returns to a 4-second cast time, serving as a pre-pull opener spell to kick-start your damage.
Level 25 Row
Shadowburn is now a 1 shard spender. Damage increased to 130% spell power (was 60%), with a 12-second cooldown. Has 50% increased critical strike chance on low health targets, and generates 1 Soul Shard if the target dies within 5 seconds.
- Developers’ notes: Shadowburn as a generator was not exciting enough. Shadowburn now provides an alternative way to spend shards, especially while on the move, and also adds burst damage in an execute window, similar to its historic design.
Internal Combustion consumes up to 7 seconds of your Immolate (was 5 seconds).
Level 35 Row
- Cataclysm damage decreased to 180% spell power (was 200% spell power).
Level 45 Row
- Grimoire of Supremacy renamed Rain of Chaos. While your initial Infernal is active, every Soul Shard you spend has a 15% chance to summon an additional Infernal that lasts 10 seconds.
- Developers’ notes: Grimoire of Supremacy was too integral to Destruction’s damage output, even without Vision of Perfection. It also created unhealthy gameplay in PvP. We want this talent to remain powerful and exciting, so instead of ramping Chaos Bolt damage, Warlocks can try to maximize the amounts of Infernals spawned. The goal is to provide the same fun gameplay, without being too reliant on getting a very high modifier on your Chaos Bolt.
- Roaring Blaze redesigned, now causes the target to take 30% increased Fire damage from the Warlock for 6 seconds.
- Developers’ notes: This does not affect Chaos Bolt – only pure Fire damage spells. We want to try opening up other talent builds that can work with your Fire spells.
Level 50 Row
- Channel Demonfire primary target damage increased by 10%.
- Summon Demonic Tyrant (Rank 2) is learned at level 52: Now generates 5 Soul Shards when cast.
- Call Dreadstalkers (Rank 2) is learned at level 54. Call Dreadstalkers cast time is reduced by 0.5s, and they gain a Pursuit spell to close the gap when their target is greater than 10 yards away.
- Wild Imps now spawn more immediately after Hand of Guldan, and 2-3 imps spawn in faster succession. In addition, if they path fail, they now teleport to the Warlock.
- Developers’ notes: This should both improve quality of life and help prevent purposely getting your imp stuck somewhere to prevent them from casting.
- Wild Imps Rank 2 is learned at level 56. Imp energy cost on Fel Firebolt decreased by 20%.
- Developers’ notes: As a result, they can cast one additional Fel Firebolt before despawning.
- Demonic Consumption no longer sacrifices imps. Now instead drains 15% health of all active demons, empowering itself based on HP consumed.
- Developers’ notes: This is a fusion between modern Demonic Consumption and Thalkiel’s Consumption from Legion. The goal is to give the Warlock more incentive to care about summoning other demons, and to allow for Implosion and Power Siphon to have their unique flavor be sacrificing imps.
- Power Siphon now also adds 30% damage to your next 2 casts Demonbolt.
- Nether Portal demons summoned attack power increased by 21%.
- Demonic Calling reduces shard cost of Call Dreadstalkers by 2.
- Inner Demons random demons summoned attack power increased by 21%.
In this build of the Shadowlands Alpha, we’ve made some changes to Affliction Warlocks, based on your feedback. We want to address concerns with pet summoning, Curse of Doom, and Affliction’s single target rotation, among other things.
Thank you for all your posts!
- Fel Domination is now a baseline ability, learned at level 34, with a 3 minute cooldown. Fel Domination reduces summoning cast time by 5.5 seconds.
- Summoning your pet shouldn’t be always easy, but sometimes you need a new pet in a pinch.
- Curse of Doom removed for Affliction and Destruction.
- Curse of Exhaustion is learned at level 58 for all three specializations.
- Curse of Exhaustion slows the target by 50% for 8 seconds.
- Developers’ notes: We love Curse of Doom, but it wasn’t working out well at a 60-second period. Also, we feel that Curse of Exhaustion will provide interesting choices when deciding which Curse to use.
- Shadow Embrace is now baseline as a part of Shadow Bolt (Rank 2), learned at level 52 for Affliction.
- Developers’ notes: Shadow Bolt for Affliction was falling by the wayside in the rotation. This should encourage Warlocks to use it more often, and provide more gameplay while fighting a single target.
- Unstable Affliction no longer has a limit of 1, and no longer amplifies damage on your target.
- Unstable Affliction’s damage backlash on dispel increased substantially.
- At level 56, Unstable Affliction is ranked up to gain an additional 5 seconds of duration.
- Developers’ notes: This is a more of an experimental change than the rest, but we feel that Unstable Affliction is not meeting player expectations at a limit of 1. This change allows Affliction to focus more on spreading dots to many targets at once.
- Corruption now ranks up at level 54 to gain an initial period, dealing .12 coefficient damage instantly.
- Writhe in Agony now also causes Agony to start at 4 stacks, in addition to increasing its maximum stacks to 18.
- New Talent: Inevitable Demise. Damaging an enemy with Agony increases the damage of your next Drain Life by 5%. This effect stacks up to 50 times.
- Nightfall now activates slightly more often as Corruption spreads to more targets.
- Developers’ notes: Previously, Nightfall was not occurring more often as you spread Corruption to multiple targets. This felt counter-intuitive, so we added functionality to increase its rate with multiple Corruptions. Similar to Agony, its increase is not linear, but you will see more Nightfalls multi-target.
- Deathbolt is now a PvP talent.
- Developers’ notes: With Unstable Affliction stacking gone, the instant burst single target damage from this felt more appropriate as a PvP talent, to act as a finisher.
- Tongue Tied Removed. Replaced with–
- Howl of Terror: Fears 5 targets within 10 yards for 20 seconds. Has a 1.5 second cast time and 40 second cooldown.
- New talent: Dark Caller (in place of Shadow Embrace). Reduces the cooldown of Summon Darkglare by 1 minute.
- Developers’ notes: This talent should allow Warlocks to specialize further into keeping lots of dots on many targets at once, and give them more room to use Malefic Rapture in that window.
- Soulshatter removes all active Corruptions, dealing 10% of their maximum HP and grants 10% Haste, stacking 5 times. Lasts 15 seconds, and is magic dispellable.
- Developers’ notes: This talent was very under-utilized due to the heavy cost of removing all dots, so it now removes Corruption instead, and no longer generates soul shards.
- Deathbolt now deals 60% damage equal to remaining duration of your dots, has a 0.5 second cast time, and a 45 second cooldown. Deathbolt missile is slower and more apparent.
- Amplify Curse now affects Curse of Exhaustion, causing it to slow the target by 70%.
- Curse of Doom reverted to Doom, with damage increased.
In this thread, we’re discussing Warlock class changes coming in World of Warcraft: Shadowlands.
This initial post will be updated periodically throughout the Shadowlands test. Please check back here for information about further updates to this class as they are made.
Thank you for your testing and feedback!