How's Beta AV?

Haven’t had a chance to watch anything, is Beta AV a mad rush to the end, completely bypassing the opposite faction on the way?

I’ve watched a bit of it on twitch so other than the games being faster than old AV, the BG is weirdly yellow/orange.

1 Like

I watched one game of it, it was basically “let’s mess around in the field of strife for an hour, oh wait we can just rush the boss” and the game ended ten minutes after the teams realized that they could just rush to the end.

21 Likes

:neutral_face:

1 Like

1.12 AV was a mistake.
Everyone just runs around having their own little skirmishes.
Removing npcs and landmines was a mistake.
So boring.

44 Likes

It’s been a mixed bag.
I am not playing, but i have been watching streams and video clips.

some games 2+ hours when people actually fight/defend.

Some 20 minute games when people just rush and don’t back-cap, fight or defend.

The games I’ve been in have all resulted in a ton of pvp the goal is obviously still to kill the enemy general but there is no just let them win mentality.

2 Likes

Exactly my experience with 1.12 AV back when it was actual 1.12.

Been saying that since they announced they’d use 1.12 AV, against all the whiners that swear up and down every game being a 10 min zerg fest.

1 Like

Yep yep, I’m seeing things work pretty much the same as they did in 1.12 at this point.

The every game will be a zerg just seems like fear mongering.

3 Likes

The problem isn’t that every game will be a zerg. The problem is that zerging is the optimal strategy.

Obviously, as everyone who has ever played a PUG BG knows, members of a battleground rarely execute the optimal strategy, and often don’t even attempt to do so.

That doesn’t change the problems inherent in it being the optimal strategy, though.

9 Likes

AV was supposed to be a long running battleground. I feel bad for the folks that won’t get to experience pre-1.12 AV.

It required a lot of work, and made getting exalted with Frostwolf a more rewarding experience.

The battles could be epic and memorable. And the gathering of the various body parts from player characters to turn in gave it a war-like feel.

I don’t mind if Blizzard has to recreate the experience because they don’t have “the data” or whatever. It’s worth trying to get close.

16 Likes

It was like that before 1.12 as well. I got a later start, but I hit AV before 1.12. If neither side decided to defend it was over quick. If both sides did it could last several hours. Even post 1.12 I had one that lasted 5-6 hours ( I was able to quit, go eat dinner, and came back and got in the same one)

1 Like

Don’t go around saying that. You’ll aggro the AV crazies.

2 Likes

Oh I know. I just ignore them at this point.

Man… I will sorely miss the chance to play original AV again.

I also feel bad for those who never got to experience it.

I still remember the first one on my original server. I got in right after it started. Played for some crazy 10 or 11 hours. I had to sleep so I left. Woke back up a few hours later and got back into the same AV and played for almost 12 more hours. iirc the entire play time was over 28 hours for that AV.

That said I can also see why Blizz don’t want things like that to happen.

3 Likes

The developers obviously didn’t much care for it originally as they changed it themselves. I just think they wanted something that would resolve in a reasonable amount of time, but could still be something that could take several hours.

Though who knows exactly what they had data wise on it. May have had to rebuild some of the code or data and didn’t want to risk it being something that never existed in any previous form.

Obviously only they know at this point.

There was a 7 hour long AV game Friday night.

Zerging doesn’t work unless both sides ignore each other and race to the boss.

If you defend, you can draw it out and potentially win.

1 Like

I watched 2 other streamers on opposite sides of the battle. In the 45 min I watched the most exciting thing to happen on the map was someone capped snowfall and then the other side took it from them. Both teams acted like they were loosing, when reality it was just that nobody was winning. I stopped watching when one of the streamers started typing in chat swearing at people and yelling at them for not doing this or that.

In general it’s dull to watch but will be fun to play :slight_smile: I watched a few streams and all of them were in long drawn out games. Only one streamer had a fun enough personality that I felt entertained. He could probably have made paint drying fun to watch (though I totally forget his name).

Highly coordinated premades may be different (they tend to stomp pugs anyway). But in random matches any amount of defense is going to stall a mindless zerg rush.

Capping snowfall on horde significantly increases your odds of losing…

Been playing it this weekend more than I would ever want to again in my life. 1.12 AV is just awful.

3/4 of the morons have no concept that it’s not bfa, and just mindlessly tunnel into a zerg v zerg fight, regardless of whether they are winning that fight or not… and expecting the game to end via reinforcements…

Snowfall has been capped by horde in every single game I’ve been in, and it results in an hour or two being added to the game for no damn reason, as it puts the entire alliance team ahead of the horde offense, who are invariably still too stupid after 14 years to ride around the damn stormpike chokepoint…

In every case that horde has won, it’s been accomplished primarily via wall climbing into dun baldir via either of the two paths (two that I know of at least)

NPCs have largely been a complete non factor in the games I’ve seen… except the one game where we successfully summoned Rok (the only other time we tried he bugged out)… That said, Rok skipped SP GY, which our offense couldnt cap and ran to dun baldir where he died useless…

Honestly, 1.12 AV is the absolute worst of both worlds right now (between the earlier versions and the retail pve zerg)…

I’d add two final notes…

1. It’s absolutely clear to me that 1.12 AV is a prime example of why xrealm bgs are a disaster… People will intentionally cap snowfall GY just to “troll”… and there are ZERO social consequences for doing so when everyone is just some anonymous xrealm nobody…

2. I unfortunately will have grind AV rep on 3 toons and I’m going to dread every single second of it.

2 Likes

Games have been pretty lengthy overall for me, not like 1.5, but I’ve yet to play one that ended anywhere close to 10-15 minutes. Defending and back capping seems to be pretty common and that just lengthens the game, positions and pushes were constantly reset. Even saw Lok’holar go on a rampage that pretty much won the Horde that game.

I’ve yet to win one however. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: