How to fix the power parity

The problem, I think, comes from head on victories being shown for Horde in game and told to us out of game for Alliance. The Alliance won both warfronts, we were told. But there’s nothing to reflect that in game, and likely we’ll never see it reflected in game unless another Cataclysm-like expansion happens. I’m sure there are Alliance victorie shown in game that aren’t Lordaeron that I’m forgetting, though, but just glancing over it on the surface it seems like the Horde gets more in-game wins.

Really military strength doesn’t matter. Whoever wins these stupid things is determined by the writers. No amount of theoretical strength, power, equipment, numbers, magic or any other factors determine what the writers will do.

Arathi and Darkshore actually prove the point that the Alliance heroes are overpowered compared to the Horde.

I think (lorewise) the strongest person the Horde had at Arathi was Liadrin, while her opponents was was friggin High Exarch Turalyon the Super Pally.

Meanwhile in Darkshore you had Tyrande and Malfurion running around in the background ruining everything with the main Horde superstar being Nathanos.

2 Likes

Oh wow, I must have miss that part of the lore… with the Alliance military power. I didn’t realize they won everything at this point in BfA! :grimacing:

Wow… dang… the more I read and find out, the worst this looks, but how does you fix this… without creating the same problem later with the Alliance itself? :thinking:

Also does this make the Alliance irrelevant without the Horde pushing them to unite?

I do remember that in vanilla they were noble houses and some factions in the Alliance were at each others throats or looking to fill the vacant roll of High King… However it was all an Onixia Plot… but still some of does corrupt and villainous nobles must be around no?

I think the writers probably didn’t count for this huge power vacuum… OR they actually created it so NEW Leaders and main Heroes could be introduce to the Horde? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Sadly the House of Nobles has been unused since vanilla and Stormwind by extension has remained blandly “The Wrynns and Friends,” with little depth.

The recreation of Stormwind is arguably the worst thing to happen to this franchise.

4 Likes

Hmmm now that most leaders of the Alliance are in SL… maybe it be a great opportunity to actually explore these old and new darker aspect of the Alliance that went under the radar while in the War and after it. (IMO)

2 Likes

I’m all for powering up Horde heroes to match their Alliance counterparts, but I also agree that the high end of Alliance characters is quite simply TOO high. Jaina in particular has gone absolutely buckwild to the point it really does seem like a logical decision to give her my Heart of Azeroth and let her deal with any new threat that pops up. It would be much more efficient than me and my random band of misfits.

Alliance heroes need to be toned down first, only then should Horde heroes be elevated to a similar level, else we end up with two groups of ridiculous powerhouses or worse: be stuck in a constant state of DBZ power-ups.

9 Likes

Yes. Which is probably why they pushed for the High King to counter the Warchief back in MoP; it’s easier to write a Horde who all follow a single Warchief than a Alliance of nations.

Which is hilarious in hindsight because that’s exactly what they ended up doing with the Horde.

Part of the reason why I always laugh at the “Red Alliance”/“Blue Horde” talk. Because some people are so narrow minded in thinking it’s about how the factions act and not how they function narratively. The Horde became a faction of multiple voices united, so much so that they got rid of the role of Warchief. While the Alliance, which was supposed to be the union of nations slowly just became the Old Horde; multiple clans (kingdoms) all serving the whims of a single warlord (high king).

3 Likes

And everything to do with how much focus and effort one side gets versus the other. See also: diaper gnomes and vulpera allied races.

And then Sylvanas just blighted everything and banshee’d out despite four of those oh-so-powerful Alliance characters having her cornered. I also seem to remember a couple dozen soldiers beating on that tank as well.

And despite Tyrande and Malfurion being so gosh-darn powerful, they apparently couldn t stop one zombie from getting away.

Yeah, you did. Because once again, y’all picked a picked a crappy Warchief who once again consorted with evil forces and once again triggered a civil war that once again you needed the Alliance to bail you out of. And once again, you will face zero consequences for it and indeed anyone who proposes you should will be decried as a warmonger.

And none of that is reflected in the actual game or lore. Alliance aren’t allowed to actually win anything or gain ground, while Theramore will forever be a smoking crater.

Because the Alliance are constantly made to feel bad. We’re told that actually Alterac Valley is actually ancestral orc lands for twenty years, therefore we’re the villains. We’re told that the orcs were essential to beating the Legion, so it’s cool and fine that they tried to annihilate the Eastern Kingdoms. Yeah, the Alliance left an opening for civilians to escape Camp Taurajo, but it led towards quillboar camps (that the Alliance didn’t know about) so they’re the worst. Jaina was being a hysterical woman when she purged the Sunreavers for helping Garrosh get a WMD, maybe her boyfriend should get her under control. It’s completely ridiculous that Sky Admiral Rogers would be mad at the Horde for turning her hometown into a pile of sludge, doesn’t she know that we need to come together? Why is Tyrande mad at the Horde for constantly invading her territory and torching her cities, Thrall offered an apology and a firm handshake?

Nothing the Horde does is ever the Horde’s fault, it’s always ~rogue elements~ and the Alliance are always criticized for not accepting that.

lmao this thread was started because the Horde are whining their NPCs aren’t sparkly enough.

5 Likes

Literally truth, yet in the story, when has it been a problem, the MOST powerful mortal in the game, according to blizzard was beat by a WARRIOR WITH A AXE

As you whine that you cant lord over alliance players with powerlevels, as if they ever mattered

2 Likes

False. But go ahead keep playing THAT victim card.

There’s story beats saying Alliance should feel bad for this? There’s characters in the game that say you should feel bad?

You’re not told you have to like the orcs only that you have to work with them. This goes both ways because Horde has to work with Alliance.

No, you’re told BY THE HORDE that it was a legitimate target. No one in the game brow beats the Alliance for destroying Taurajo and says they should feel bad. Baine literally apologizes for the Alliance.

The Alliance were told to feel bad about this in the game? There’s posters on the forum that still adamantly defend her actions as just.

See above about working with the opposing faction

Yeah, I remember Blizzard saying the Alliance should feel bad about wanting to get back at the Horde after Teldrassil…oh wait…

Also false.

Or it was started because power creep and unbalanced power scaling affects both sides of the story?

Alliance characters are written as significantly stronger but have to be written as incredibly stupid to balance things out. Something both sides have complained about.

:cactus:

8 Likes

FTFY.

3 Likes

How, battles are literally decided by who blizzard wants to win, they dont sit down and say “WELL THE ALLIANCE SHOULD WIN THIS BATTLE CAUSE THEY CLEARLY HAVE BETTER SUPPLIES AND NUMBERS.”

yeah totally a orc past his prime is soooo powerful couldn’t even touch sylvanas even tho he had legendary weapons See you are doing again hordes, so if saurfang is so powerful what is your problem sounds like you have the power you want

If saurfang can beat malfurion which is the alliance’s most powerful character, then sounds to me like you 100% fine

This is actually something that I really dislike about how Blizzard handles cinematics and stories. How come we are only shown the Alliance losing in-game? How come we are only shown the Horde doing bad things in-game?

2 Likes

Your head canon.

After her power up at the end of the expansion? Incidentally, he did touch her.

Not sure if you remember this but he died.

After fighting Sylvanas. Why do you ignore this?

Saurfang is 100% dead.

4 Likes

So? he was a old orc, and Its not headcanon, saurfang himself says it, if saurfang is so good and can beat malfurion I am sure your other leaders will do just fine

1 Like

Did Saurfang 1v1 Malf?

1 Like

The others that ran away from Jaina?

1 Like

nope but malfurion is the most powerful mortal capable of summoning massive hurricanes that literally can wipe out whole armies

And what does the Horde have that can match him?

4 Likes